Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2012, 10:03 AM

1,781 posts, read 2,073,373 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Yuk View Post
Western PA is similar to Ohio
No it's not. Unless you are talking about the northwest part near Erie, then maybe a little bit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2012, 10:26 AM

1,364 posts, read 2,907,074 times
More like Kentucky or Alabama

Old 06-29-2012, 10:32 AM

1,294 posts, read 3,238,996 times
Everyone knows Western PA is more like West Virginia. I kid.

Old 11-16-2017, 12:22 PM

3 posts, read 1,645 times
I think people will answer that based on the part of the Commonwealth in which they live. Here in the East we live closer to and vacation in Maryland specifically Ocean City or on the Delaware beaches. So we Easterners would probably say Maryland. If you go out towards Pittsburgh you are getting closer culturally and geographically to Ohio and West Virginia and they'd probably say Ohio.

Old 11-16-2017, 12:59 PM

2,539 posts, read 2,270,052 times
This is an old post. And no longer relevant. I have been all over the state. And Pennsylvania is Pennsylvania. We have a far more enriching history and legacy than either MD or OH, and the feel of the state is quite consistent. Historic small towns, with windey and hilly country roads connecting them. No matter where you are in Pennsylvania. You can usually tell, this is Pennsylvania. One reason why I love PA. We are not generic.

Even Southeast PA, feels NOTHING like NJ. As soon as you cross the bridge into Jersey. You know you are no longer in Pennsylvania. The built environment is so much different in NJ, and IMHO ugly.

So Pennsylvania is. Pennsylvania!

Old 11-16-2017, 04:46 PM

486 posts, read 596,027 times
I would say Erie (and by extension NWPA) has more in common with NE Ohio, Western NY and SE Michigan than it does with the rest of PA.

Old 11-17-2017, 02:03 PM

9,310 posts, read 12,903,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowhomecity View Post
This is an old post. And no longer relevant. I have been all over the state. And Pennsylvania is Pennsylvania. We have a far more enriching history and legacy than either MD or OH, and the feel of the state is quite consistent. Historic small towns, with windey and hilly country roads connecting them. No matter where you are in Pennsylvania. You can usually tell, this is Pennsylvania. One reason why I love PA. We are not generic.

Even Southeast PA, feels NOTHING like NJ. As soon as you cross the bridge into Jersey. You know you are no longer in Pennsylvania. The built environment is so much different in NJ, and IMHO ugly.

By the time you hit South Jersey, you’re well into the Atlantic Coastal Plain, which is very flat. Because so much more of South Jersey was farmland going into the postwar era, you also see conspicuously autocentric infrastructure much closer to the city. I really like Collingswood and the Haddons, though. Cooper River Lake is a great running trail, too.

I do see what you mean, however. While I’ll certainly have a lot more in common with someone from Cherry Hill than Coraopolis, there are a lot of shared experiences we have, as Pennsylvanians, that don’t cross state lines even within the same metropolitan area.

Old 11-17-2017, 05:02 PM

32,765 posts, read 35,979,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowhomecity View Post

I like New Jersey. My parents took me to the shore when I was a kid. Washington slept there. I like the NJ side of the Delaware Water Gap more than the PA side. If you live in Philly, you can drive over to Cherry Hill to The Liquor Warehouse. Beer, wine, and hard all under the same roof. PA can't seem to accomplish that.

Having been raised in NEPA, I'd say that we are more like Ohio than Maryland.

Old 11-17-2017, 10:34 PM

2,539 posts, read 2,270,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I like New Jersey. My parents took me to the shore when I was a kid. Washington slept there. I like the NJ side of the Delaware Water Gap more than the PA side. If you live in Philly, you can drive over to Cherry Hill to The Liquor Warehouse. Beer, wine, and hard all under the same roof. PA can't seem to accomplish that.

Having been raised in NEPA, I'd say that we are more like Ohio than Maryland.

The jersey shore is fine, I like it. But when you compare the suburbs of Philadelphia. PA is far nicer. No comparison. NJ isn't a bad place. But PA definitely has more of a legacy, more substantial cities and definitely more character and far far more history. Also the built environment of NJ is just. Blah and ugly.

Old 11-18-2017, 06:41 AM

13,950 posts, read 8,808,399 times
Well, if I had to pick a state that Pennsylvania "resembles," I'd pick Maryland over any of the other states that border it, though I think the poster in the original discussion who put New York State at the top has a very good point.

I also am fond of mapping this state onto my native Missouri, as the two states have several similarities, most of them on the surface. You can probably think of a few without my prompting if you know about Missouri at all.

And I'm not as down on poor New Jersey as it seems rowhomecity is; I actually find that state rather fascinating, precisely because it is caught between two large cities that lie outside its borders yet dominate the state. (Ben Franklin even remarked on this when he called New Jersey "a keg tapped at both ends.") But like that poster, ultimately, I agree that Pennsylvania is like no place else in this country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania