U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 10:19 PM

1,932 posts, read 4,476,480 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nbrakern View Post
Hello from California! My father moved from Johnstown (NAntyGLO) to be exact to southern CA when he was 18 years old and never looked back. He said it was a very depressed coal mining town, and he came out west with nothing.
Just to clarify, Nanty Glo is about 15 miles north of Johnstown and a completely separate entity. Johnstown was a steel hub and Nanty Glo was a coal town. They both struggle now since the loss of their main industries.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2008, 10:26 PM

1,932 posts, read 4,476,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zip95 View Post
I firmly believe that Pennsylvania consists of Pittsburgh and Philly........everything else is Pennsyltucky as far as I'm concerned.

......Except for State College.
Boy, you sure do know how to insult millions of people. I understand it's your opinion, but simply because we who do not live in Pittsburgh or Philly adhere to better morals and values and have interests in things other than "high culture" does not mean we're uneducated or backwater baffoons. Shows how extensively you've traveled the state.

Quote:
Because of the University and the high tech industry, State College literally has tens of thousands of Ph.D's averaging 6 figures. I will go so far as to say there is no area in this state where as many people make as much money.....Outside of the student ghettos, is there even a poor section??? Everyone is educated. Everyone is a professional.

It's delusional to call State College depressed.
And I think you're assertions border on delusional. "tens of thousands of Ph.D's" -- the population isn't even that large without the student body. Averaging 6 figures, huh. Well, I know professors who wish they made that much. As for all the factory workers... do they all have PhD's as well and make 6 figure incomes? Including the ones whose factories closed? I think not. Better reel in your enthusiasm and make more realistic comments.

Oh, and all this from someone who doesn't live in any of your preferred areas of the state but is quite educated and makes a descent living -- without all the crime and drugs and gangs and whatever else Philly and Pgh have to offer.

Old 05-13-2008, 08:44 AM

1,050 posts, read 2,397,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mams1559 View Post
Boy, you sure do know how to insult millions of people. I understand it's your opinion, but simply because we who do not live in Pittsburgh or Philly adhere to better morals and values and have interests in things other than "high culture" does not mean we're uneducated or backwater baffoons. Shows how extensively you've traveled the state.

And I think you're assertions border on delusional. "tens of thousands of Ph.D's" -- the population isn't even that large without the student body. Averaging 6 figures, huh. Well, I know professors who wish they made that much. As for all the factory workers... do they all have PhD's as well and make 6 figure incomes? Including the ones whose factories closed? I think not. Better reel in your enthusiasm and make more realistic comments.

Oh, and all this from someone who doesn't live in any of your preferred areas of the state but is quite educated and makes a descent living -- without all the crime and drugs and gangs and whatever else Philly and Pgh have to offer.
I checked...there are thousands (not tens) of professors making 6 figure incomes....so you are correct there.

Anyway, State College is definitely an oasis in a sea of hellish Pennsyltucky poverty and under-education. Although it's not all bad. Harrisburg and the Lehigh Valley are sorta-kinda reasonable.

Old 05-13-2008, 04:51 PM

22,190 posts, read 38,714,680 times
Quote:
I checked...there are thousands (not tens) of professors making 6 figure incomes....so you are correct there.

Anyway, State College is definitely an oasis in a sea of hellish Pennsyltucky poverty and under-education. Although it's not all bad. Harrisburg and the Lehigh Valley are sorta-kinda reasonable.
I have been to most areas of PA and most towns are far better off compared with rural areas of eastern Kentucky and rural southern West Virginia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania