Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 01:51 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,163,891 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Yuk View Post
Well, then I'm not sure why you're arguing in favor of Paterno/Penn State, other than playing devil's advocate for the sake of the argument. You're not sickened by the way the whole "culture of football" trumped the welfare of children, as a parent?
Let me try to lay this out one more time, ok? Not everyone who plays football is part of some cult. Most players and people involved do it because it's a fun past time and they enjoy the strategy of the game. Secondly, while I do believe the football program should be sanctioned, I don't believe in pulling funding from the whole university nor do I believe the football program should be completely obliterated.

I am wholly disgusted and horrified by the actions of those involved with this case. But I maintain enough objectivity to note that this is not indicative of the whole of the sport of football or of PSU.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2012, 02:04 PM

7,931 posts, read 15,752,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Not everyone who plays football is part of some cult.
Nobody ever said that. I am aware the players had nothing to do with this. The cult behavior is coming from many Penn State football fans...most of which have nothing to do with Penn State other than being a football fan.

I like football, I just recognize it for what it is...entertainment. Not a religion.

Old 07-16-2012, 02:23 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,209,612 times
Quote:
Let me try to lay this out one more time, ok? Not everyone who plays football is part of some cult. Most players and people involved do it because it's a fun past time and they enjoy the strategy of the game. Secondly, while I do believe the football program should be sanctioned, I don't believe in pulling funding from the whole university nor do I believe the football program should be completely obliterated.

I am wholly disgusted and horrified by the actions of those involved with this case. But I maintain enough objectivity to note that this is not indicative of the whole of the sport of football or of PSU.
Now who, other than a fringer or two, has proposed doing any of the bold? Giving the program the "Death Penalty" means shutting down the program for a year or two.

Post Freeh Report, Will NCAA Sanction Penn State? : NPR

Old 07-16-2012, 03:02 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,163,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Now who, other than a fringer or two, has proposed doing any of the bold? Giving the program the "Death Penalty" means shutting down the program for a year or two.

Post Freeh Report, Will NCAA Sanction Penn State? : NPR
Some people mentioned it and I stated my opinion on it.

Old 07-16-2012, 05:44 PM

12,867 posts, read 13,173,864 times
It appears much of the mainstream sports talking heads are saying "shut it down" for at least a year. Of course they will say that now that after Paterno had them fooled for decades with his faked pious image and deified him year in & year out.

If the NCAA has the nads and gives PSU football the DP, then they should give the players the transfer rule waiver - and for those who want to stay in Notsohappy Valley, the school should honor their scholarship so they can graduate.

The idea of shutting down a great university because of the criminal actions of a handful of dirtbags is in itself a stupid notion. That doesn't deserve any further mention.

Old 07-16-2012, 06:51 PM

18,754 posts, read 17,977,261 times
There are many more parents that have abused their own children than the Jerry Sanduskys in football. Sandusky was one of those parents according to his one foster child. We don't go after all parents because of a few bad apples. We also do not brand all parents as monsters because of those few abnormalities. We would not take all the children away form all (good and bad) parents and place them in foster care – there are no guarantees with foster care which is also part of the Jerry Sandusky legacy .

I could have; but I do not remember ever watching a Penn State football game all the way through. It does not appeal to me to watch somebody else play a game. I wish that I could wave a wand and we would never have God like sports figures – but it will never happen. I have worked with people that work, eat and sleep sports. They do not watch the news and they do not care what we think.

Maybe I'm naïve or just an optimist? What I do think is that this particular scandal will not only change how Penn State conducts itself in the future – it will also affect other universities and could even affect corporate boardrooms.

Old 07-16-2012, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
There are many more parents that have abused their own children than the Jerry Sanduskys in football. Sandusky was one of those parents according to his one foster child. We don't go after all parents because of a few bad apples. We also do not brand all parents as monsters because of those few abnormalities. We would not take all the children away form all (good and bad) parents and place them in foster care – there are no guarantees with foster care which is also part of the Jerry Sandusky legacy .

I could have; but I do not remember ever watching a Penn State football game all the way through. It does not appeal to me to watch somebody else play a game. I wish that I could wave a wand and we would never have God like sports figures – but it will never happen. I have worked with people that work, eat and sleep sports. They do not watch the news and they do not care what we think.

Maybe I'm naïve or just an optimist? What I do think is that this particular scandal will not only change how Penn State conducts itself in the future – it will also affect other universities and could even affect corporate boardrooms.
I for one sure hope it does.

Old 07-16-2012, 08:05 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,209,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
It appears much of the mainstream sports talking heads are saying "shut it down" for at least a year. Of course they will say that now that after Paterno had them fooled for decades with his faked pious image and deified him year in & year out.

If the NCAA has the nads and gives PSU football the DP, then they should give the players the transfer rule waiver - and for those who want to stay in Notsohappy Valley, the school should honor their scholarship so they can graduate.

The idea of shutting down a great university because of the criminal actions of a handful of dirtbags is in itself a stupid notion. That doesn't deserve any further mention.
You know, I read through the entire thread to this point, and no one is advocating the shutdown of PSU. Paterno's supporters, however, are shrieking about how the rest of us are advocating for same, and how that would be the end of the world, etc.

Quote:
Sanctioned.

Not suspended.
Sanctions can include suspensions.

Old 07-16-2012, 08:13 PM

18,754 posts, read 17,977,261 times
Here is a catalyst for change: Penn State could face years of abuse litigation - Houston Chronicle

Old 07-16-2012, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
You know, I read through the entire thread to this point, and no one is advocating the shutdown of PSU. Paterno's supporters, however, are shrieking about how the rest of us are advocating for same, and how that would be the end of the world, etc.

Sanctions can include suspensions.
I read a couple of idjits on some other boards who advocated that extreme action, but nobody paid any attention to that nonsense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania