U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 10:37 AM

1 posts, read 1,581 times

Advertisements

[sharon stone was born and raised in Seagertown, PA
Hello,
I am currently a Nurse Practitioner student and have been assigned as part of a community assessment to find out more about Meadville's notable residents and recreation in Meadville. I know Sharon Stone was born in Meadville, are there any other famous or notable residents (historical or otherwise)? Also, what does Meadville have to offer as far as recreation?
Thanks in advance for the info!![/quote]
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2009, 11:13 AM

172 posts, read 582,599 times
Stone was born in Saegertown. I have yet to meet someone in Saegertown or Meadville that is proud of that fact. I'm not sure why that is. I don't know anything about her, so have no opinion on the matter.

Lots of history around Meadville. John Brown's Tannery is just outside of Meadville. George Washington, in the early 1750's, came up French Creek (he named the creek) to tell the French to get off British territory.

The people at the historical society on Chestnut St. in Meadville are very helpful, if you are in Meadville anytime soon.

Old 07-03-2012, 03:20 PM

3 posts, read 2,765 times
Sharon Stone was from the Saegertown/Meadville(is there a difference lol?) area. Heard she was sort of an outcast and got picked on a lot. Thus her reasoning for not liking/claiming the area.

Don't forget about Budd Dwyer from Blooming Valley(just outside of meadville on rt. 77). Dwyer was raised in Meadville and earned a masters from Allegheny. He got involved with politics while teaching at cambridge spings high school. He eventually became State Treasurer. While in that position he got tangled up in a terrible scandal that led to him infamously committing suicide at a televised press conference. He maintained his innocence and I too always believed he was framed. Honest Man | Home is a documentary made about the subject and includes a few shots of his childhood home in Blooming Valley. (Just do some internet searching and you can read for days on end about the subject, but there is also a ton of inaccurate info on the web as well.) Dwyer and his late wife are buried in the Blooming Valley Cemetery. Again, I'm active in politics and as an outsider looking in, I know the cronies involved in the scandal(the scandal started before Dwyer 'allegedly' had anything to do with it) and just let me say I feel for him because they are nothing but low lifes and once you get in their web, you'll never get out. RIP Budd Dwyer

Also speaking of politics, Ray Shaffer was from Meadville. He was Governor of Pa during the mid 60s. While he was liked as a person, his single term in office wasn't particularly popular. He was laid to rest in a Meadville cemetery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania