U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2006, 06:06 PM

1 posts, read 8,596 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I am currently a Nurse Practitioner student and have been assigned as part of a community assessment to find out more about Meadville's notable residents and recreation in Meadville. I know Sharon Stone was born in Meadville, are there any other famous or notable residents (historical or otherwise)? Also, what does Meadville have to offer as far as recreation?
Thanks in advance for the info!!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2006, 05:12 PM

1 posts, read 8,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NPSTUDENT View Post
Hello,
I am currently a Nurse Practitioner student and have been assigned as part of a community assessment to find out more about Meadville's notable residents and recreation in Meadville. I know Sharon Stone was born in Meadville, are there any other famous or notable residents (historical or otherwise)? Also, what does Meadville have to offer as far as recreation?
I'm tracing family history, including the WHEELER family, including Rev. Dr. David H. Wheeler who was:
-Appointed by President Abraham Lincoln in 1861 as US Consul to Italy (for 5 years);
-London correspondent for New York Tribune from 1866;
-connected for many years with Northwestern University (Evanstown, Illinois);
-President of Allegheny College from 1885.

...ok... that's not "famous" but I consider it "notable." He was born in New York, lived in Illinois among other places, and CHOSE TO KEEP HIS HOME IN MEADVILLE PA, even after returning to a position at Northwestern U in 1895.
Meadville must be pretty nice.

-

Old 11-12-2006, 06:44 PM

414 posts, read 1,708,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NPSTUDENT View Post
Hello,
Actually, I thought I'd heard that the beauteous Sharon was born in nearby
Saegertown..maybe Meadville had the hospital and she lived in Sagertown. Anybody know for certain?

Old 01-20-2007, 11:21 PM

13 posts, read 56,761 times
I had a few people that said they went to school with her, but who is to say. There is no clear statement where she lived. She could have lived within meadville borders and then went to Seagertown highschool. I lived in Meadville and graduated from Maplewood.

As far as notable people...none that I can truely say.

Old 01-21-2007, 07:58 AM

5,297 posts, read 6,123,720 times
Quote:
I had a few people that said they went to school with her,
I've had people say that too and said that she went to saegertown and was from saegertown and when they ran an article in the meadville tribune some years back(10 or better) she claimed Meadville as her home,some people commented was she ashamed of saegertown. I like saegertown myself it's one of those blink and miss it towns and it's just a small hop to meadville.

Old 01-21-2007, 01:24 PM

24 posts, read 128,125 times
Sharon Stone is from Saegertown and not from Meadville. She claimed Meadville due to it's size, but later skirted the issue when point blank asked why she said that. (Gotta love people who push an issue) She was born at Meadville Medical Center, but that's it. Her parents now reside in Erie, and she's actually gone to visit them (on the down low) a few times.

Meadville is also famous for Chanellock tools (and the town literally is the tool capitol of the world.) And....it's where the zipper was created. Talon Inc was one of the first factories to mass produce them, though it's claimed that it was made by a Canadian. This is not true, it was invented by an ex US military general. (Who's name escapes me at the moment...)

Not the grandest of history, but it's at least somewhat famous. (Sad isn't it? LOL!)

Old 09-17-2007, 09:48 PM

2 posts, read 16,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WasPA View Post
Actually, I thought I'd heard that the beauteous Sharon was born in nearby
Saegertown..maybe Meadville had the hospital and she lived in Sagertown. Anybody know for certain?

Sharon Stone lived and grew up at the corner of Cole Rd and Park Ave in Saegertown PA and the house is still there.She did go to Saegertown High school. She was born in Meadville and was Miss Crawford County in the late 70s or early 80s. Her brother Pat Stone is a Union commercial building foreman out of Erie Pa. I Live about 1 1/2 miles from her childhood house and I got all this information from my Father and my neighbor whom graduated with her.

Old 09-17-2007, 09:51 PM

2 posts, read 16,828 times
Dont forget Clark Gable(actor) is from Meadville

Old 09-26-2007, 05:03 AM

24 posts, read 128,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjd73ss View Post
Dont forget Clark Gable(actor) is from Meadville
Actually, he only lived here for about 2-3 years of his life as a toddler. There *is* a road called Gable Hill in honor of his family. (His aunt and uncle were, at one point, the largest landowners in the entire town. They owned pretty much all of Vernon Township (Wal-Mart, K-Mart, Kings, Staples, Cellular One, etc...) down to around Hank's Frozen Custard. (halfway point to Conneaut Lake)

His father had his birth certificate changed to say Meadville/Crawford County, after his mother had passed away. He was originally born in Cadiz Ohio, in 1901. He then moved to Ravenna and then onto Akron Ohio with his family. He worked in a tire factory for a short while.

So while he lived here (very shortly), he technically isn't from here. Though, he was here long enough to leave an indelible mark on the community. (Try driving up and down Gable Hill during the winter...you'll never forget it. lol)

Old 10-24-2007, 08:50 AM

511 posts, read 1,868,235 times
I never understood all the buzz over Sharon Stone, never thought she was all that attractive.....anyway

I was an Assistant Manager at the Meadville Wal Mart. Unemployment is very high in Crawford County. For fun, people like to come to Wal Mart. Sounds great, doesn't it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania