Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 04:39 AM

5,725 posts, read 11,709,844 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
No, I'm saying it's hypocritical to call for the removal of a statue, yet allow a library, that was almost completely funded by Paterno, to continue to stand.
Again, I'm not talking about tearing down the library. How can you compare a university library with a statue of somebody who has been shown to have done something awful?

Old 07-16-2012, 09:16 AM

3,307 posts, read 9,377,607 times
The only Paterno-related change I supported was the erasing of the halo in the mural in town (which has now been done). I supported that because the halo never belonged there in the first place- JoePa was not an angel, he was just a man. A man who did a lot of great things over the years for Penn State, but a man with faults like any other man.

The calls to tear down the statue and rename the library are ridiculous. Even the most ardent PSU supporter recognizes that Paterno had terrible judgment when dealing with Sandusky. As Paterno admitted, he should have taken this issue more seriously and he should have done more. That doesn't erase the fact that he was a great football coach and a great leader who focused his team on the right things (PSU has the highest graduation rate out of all major football programs), and gave so much back to a university he truly loved. By the same notion, taking down Paterno's statue isn't going to erase years of child rape by Sandusky.

Our heroes are never perfect. America's founding fathers bought and traded ACTUAL PEOPLE but you don't see anyone calling to remove statues of Washington or Jefferson. We admire their achievements, but recognize their faults. Why can't we do the same with JoePa?

Penn State has a statue of a man who achieved great things, but kept terrible secrets that ruined lives. Penn State has a statue of a man who deserved praise for the way he ran his football program, a man who deserved praise for the way he pushed his team to achieve academically and on the field, but a man who never deserved the hero worship we poured upon him. Let's keep that statue up as a reminder of his accomplishments, but let's also remember his faults. That, I think, is the best way to handle the Paterno legacy.

Old 07-16-2012, 10:03 AM

1,214 posts, read 1,456,897 times
all feelings pro or anti psu aside..

do you really want every single televised game for psu in the future to begin with a pan of the statue, and a recap of the most horrific scandal in the history of american sports?

Old 07-16-2012, 10:35 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,815,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by safak View Post
all feelings pro or anti psu aside..

do you really want every single televised game for psu in the future to begin with a pan of the statue, and a recap of the most horrific scandal in the history of american sports?
That's going to happen regardless. I foresee a lot of heckling of Penn State at road games too. If I was a PSU football player, I'd be looking to transfer ASAP.

Old 07-16-2012, 11:15 AM

5,089 posts, read 15,397,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcity View Post
The only Paterno-related change I supported was the erasing of the halo in the mural in town (which has now been done). I supported that because the halo never belonged there in the first place- JoePa was not an angel, he was just a man. A man who did a lot of great things over the years for Penn State, but a man with faults like any other man.

The calls to tear down the statue and rename the library are ridiculous. Even the most ardent PSU supporter recognizes that Paterno had terrible judgment when dealing with Sandusky. As Paterno admitted, he should have taken this issue more seriously and he should have done more. That doesn't erase the fact that he was a great football coach and a great leader who focused his team on the right things (PSU has the highest graduation rate out of all major football programs), and gave so much back to a university he truly loved. By the same notion, taking down Paterno's statue isn't going to erase years of child rape by Sandusky.

Our heroes are never perfect. America's founding fathers bought and traded ACTUAL PEOPLE but you don't see anyone calling to remove statues of Washington or Jefferson. We admire their achievements, but recognize their faults. Why can't we do the same with JoePa?

Penn State has a statue of a man who achieved great things, but kept terrible secrets that ruined lives. Penn State has a statue of a man who deserved praise for the way he ran his football program, a man who deserved praise for the way he pushed his team to achieve academically and on the field, but a man who never deserved the hero worship we poured upon him. Let's keep that statue up as a reminder of his accomplishments, but let's also remember his faults. That, I think, is the best way to handle the Paterno legacy.

Your are still attempting to use same statement from Paterno, that "he should have done more..," .He was continuing the lie and coverup at that time. He did do much more and took it very seriously--he was actively involved with a criminal conspiracy of a coverup of sexual crimes over a period of years. He admitted nothing. He lied to the Grand Jury about not knowing anything about a previous event which has been made very clear that he did know which the report showed.

This slime Paterno wanted everyone to believe that he just passed on the information to his superiors and that is all he did. Bull! He was actively involved in covering up a crime. That is the smoking gun that will put a bullet in the legacy of Joseph Vincent "Scum" Paterno.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 07-18-2012 at 05:32 PM.. Reason: removed personal attacks

Old 07-16-2012, 11:28 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,869,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
Most of us certainly do, and are not blinded by the twisted mentality of the JoePa cult worshippers.

Too bad he croaked after lying to the investigators, otherwise he would've been indicted with his fellow scumbag conspirators.

The PSU family needs to have a mass self introspection and cleanse itself of this terribly stained legacy, much like the Germans did after WWII.

Anybody in a position of power in that school, whether administration, faculty, or student body - and the alumni - who is still in denial about what that cultish behavior has wrought with this scandal, the worst in American sports history, should be required to take a course in ethics and morality.

Any of you who deny that still....well, you have chosen poorly.

you know very little about this actually. All you know is what you read in the paper so it seems..

Old 07-16-2012, 12:15 PM

12,946 posts, read 13,328,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
you know very little about this actually. All you know is what you read in the paper so it seems..
Try reading the report and the post above yours.

Old 07-16-2012, 12:23 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,289,646 times
Quote:
I did today. Which is why I am even MORE firm in my beliefs that the Freeh investigation was highly flawed. Did you read the whole thing or just the parts highlighted in green?

Old 07-16-2012, 12:31 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
^^Kill the messenger! Kill the messenger!

Old 07-16-2012, 12:34 PM

7,780 posts, read 21,869,902 times
Quote:
Like I said, you only know whats been told to you... Do you have any actual experience with the people involved? You know, the ones you are making strong statements about?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania