Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2012, 11:10 AM

13,321 posts, read 22,604,149 times

Advertisements

Our family and friends all enjoy going into Lancaster to visit the wonderful Amish area. One of our favorite things to do is to attend a show at the Sights and Sounds theater. The boys seem to love the shows and love going back stage too. We tend to travel on the back roads where the real story can be told. Streets where a young boy will be riding home on his scooter, or a young man, on his very old bike, will be racing home down the dusty, dirt lane.
One time while camping we saw a group of teens working a field nearby.
There is always an Amish wife sweeping the walks and driveways at dusk. There has been many an awesome sight not caught on pictures.
At night you can see a single plower up on a ridge and watch the mule pulling the old time plow.
Just a shadow in the night. The Amish are such hard workers and values all their own.
Here are some pictures of that region. A simple little space on our earth, full of amazing grace.

Amish man on bike,farmer in background.

Horses out for the evening after a grueling day at work on the farm.

A Carriage rides outside our hotel we stayed at the Steamboat Inn.

The Steamboat Inn had a fun area for the kids to play, they loved it.

A barn off in the distance with its Amish buggy...( I was quite far away)

Gazabo at Steamboat Inn. From here you can watch the Amish farmers and buggies.

The Boat at the Inn....

I love the Amish buggies....

It is really hard to share the road and this time we came way too close!

An Amish Man out for the day....So interesting to see.

Many have gone to this village. However, I always choose to go out and about to see the "real" thing.

I hope to get that way in December and see Jonah at the Sights and Sounds too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2012, 08:18 AM

13,321 posts, read 22,604,149 times
Gosh, sometimes I am so surprised with the response. This is one of them.
I talk to so many people who love Lancaster and all the things to do there. We have friends who go there almost every week. One of the big draws is the family table style of serving and all the homemade foods to choose from.
Many people go just to eat!
However, my draw has always been the Sights and Sounds theater. I found out from a neighbor about it and we have gone to almost every show. I will love taking the kids to the new show Jonah. Most of all, the upcoming spring show is Noah. From what I hear Noah was the best of the best. They actually use a real boat and real animals for Noahs story.
I will have to catch this next summer when I am back again in the area.
I think it is a good trip to show kids that not all of us live with modern day inventions. They seem amazed by the fact of no electric, no tractors, and the dress of the Amish.
No phone, no computers. ( well most of the strict Amish)
This makes for a nice long weekend trip. There are many Bed and Breakfast places right in the heartland.
I hope you all get to visit when your in that area. It surely is an enjoyable adventure for everyone. Take a buggy ride too.

Old 07-17-2012, 07:15 PM

429 posts, read 651,918 times
Very nice photos. If you ever have a chance try to drive around rural Berks. It is beautiful as well. Lancaster gets a lot of built up areas and sprawl due to the tourism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania