Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2012, 07:36 AM

912 posts, read 1,733,253 times

Advertisements

NCAA source: "Unprecedented" penalties against Penn State - CBS News

Announcement will come tomorrow (Monday) at 9am.

They can't possibly cancel their season this close to kickoff, can they? Kickoff is around 40 days away. It would be a nightmare for all the teams on their schedule (including my alma mater OHIO) to try to find a replacement game this close to the season. Plus all the current players, who had nothing to do with this, will have no time to transfer to another program before the season starts. Sure, the NCAA would probably grant them all an extra year of eligibility, but they'd still be losing a year of their prime performance time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2012, 07:41 AM

1,214 posts, read 1,457,963 times
i'll believe it when i see it. i don't think anything is cancelled this quickly, and i don't think psu would agree with the ncaa if this was the case, and to be ruled this quickly you would think its an agreement.
i don't think the culture in creepy valley has changed that much to agree to cancelling football, its all they have.

but hey, if true, well deserved.
a lot of players in a lot of places have suffered for things they had no part of, while no one likes that its part of the collateral damage of any penalty.
you can't feel bad for the kids that committed last year, because they all had other options and they all knew about this. at least the 'verbals' from this year are starting to move on to greener pastures.

Old 07-22-2012, 07:51 AM

I never thought they'd cancel the season this quickly either, but I don't know what else would be considered "unprecedented"

Old 07-22-2012, 08:14 AM

Joe Schad reporting that it won't be the death penalty

Old 07-22-2012, 12:07 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheYO View Post
I never thought they'd cancel the season this quickly either, but I don't know what else would be considered "unprecedented"
ESPN is reporting they will lose bowl games and scholarships which means they will be left with no players any better than your local college. The "death penalty" or sactions like those I just described will end football at PSU for decades if not forever.

Besides the players there will be 10's of thousands of people effected by this from business's that depend on the football program, other sports at PSU that depend on the football revenue, scholarships, staff......etc. It's not just the football program that will suffer.

Old 07-22-2012, 03:40 PM

12,950 posts, read 13,346,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
ESPN is reporting they will lose bowl games and scholarships which means they will be left with no players any better than your local college. The "death penalty" or sactions like those I just described will end football at PSU for decades if not forever.

Besides the players there will be 10's of thousands of people effected by this from business's that depend on the football program, other sports at PSU that depend on the football revenue, scholarships, staff......etc. It's not just the football program that will suffer.
Well, when SMU got the death penalty in the '80s, the fallout affected 10s of people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania