Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 01:11 PM

19,022 posts, read 14,198,297 times

Advertisements

Scapegoats R Us
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2012, 03:22 PM

1,738 posts, read 2,077,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcity View Post
I AM angry at Paterno, Spanier, Schultz, Curley, the Trustees, and of course, most of all, at Sandusky himself.

But they weren't the ones who decided that the sanctions had to punish the current group of kids that had nothing to do with the scandal. This was an administrative scandal, not a football scandal- nothing that anyone did gave PSU an unfair advantage on the field. No NCAA rules were broken. The NCAA had to go outside its own rules to punish PSU.
They bowed to public pressure, driven by the media, plain and simple

Old 07-24-2012, 04:51 PM

12,949 posts, read 13,336,259 times
My God

Old 07-25-2012, 03:06 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,791,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maf763 View Post
I'll agree that this is unfair to many. Current (and past) players are facing consequences not of their doing. But having the NCAA merely give the university a slap on the wrist would be a head-in-the-sand response. The sanctions administered send the message that football is not above the law or common decency, no matter how popular or profitable it is. The current players are screwed up to a point (they can transfer without penalty if they choose), but that is the fault of the university leaders, not the NCAA, the media or the public. As far as removing future scholarships, kids that are good enough to get a scholarship at Penn State, are good enough to get one almost anywhere else, and they can choose to go elsewhere. It's not like PSU is their only option.

If a volleyball coach (for example) was the molester, this would have been handled far differently. It was covered up to the extent it was because of football's high profile, which is why the football program has to pay the price. In the opinion of many, the inconveniences faced by current players doesn't negate the need for such punishment.
If the NCAA called the victims and asked them if taking away scholarships from future players would bring them closure then I'm all for it, the NCAA is punishing Penn St like they do everyone else that pays players, this is a totally different situation, this is a serious criminal situation. It's one thing to make future and current athletes and students responsible for stealing money, or paying players. It's another thing to make those same kids responsible for Sandusky raping kids. Yes there should be penalties but don't hurt the future of other kids because Sandusky raped children. These penalties mean that there will be less scholarships for kids all over the US not just Penn St.

Old 07-26-2012, 06:22 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,819,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James420 View Post
These penalties mean that there will be less scholarships for kids all over the US not just Penn St.
Well maybe there will then be more academic scholarships available, which is a better use of money than giving a free college education to someone just because of how fast they run or how far they can throw a ball.

Old 07-26-2012, 06:32 AM

2,309 posts, read 4,383,410 times
Amen!!

The system won't let me rep you any further, but if I could I would rep you thousands of times for this post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Yuk View Post
Well maybe there will then be more academic scholarships available, which is a better use of money than giving a free college education to someone just because of how fast they run or how far they can throw a ball.

Old 07-26-2012, 06:37 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,298,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Yuk View Post
Your gross ignorance of what it takes to be an athlete continues to stupefy me.

Old 07-26-2012, 06:48 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,262,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I'm sorry Magritte, but you go to college to learn, not to have a winning football team or any athletic team for that matter. Requiting college athletes for years has been grossly abused and over rides education...not to mention all the perks the colleges pay out to gain better players...it's become huge business...and it's once again, as anything else in the U.S. corrupt. So, I believe there are a whole lot of people out there who get it...and feel the same way...and while athletes IS important...to a point, it shouldn't be the deciding factor of why a kid gets in college.

as far as the Paterno statue, this to me, has gone way to far...Paterno was wrong, but Sandusky committed the henous acts...and is the real criminal here....

Old 07-26-2012, 07:39 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,298,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
I'm sorry Magritte, but you go to college to learn, not to have a winning football team or any athletic team for that matter. Requiting college athletes for years has been grossly abused and over rides education...not to mention all the perks the colleges pay out to gain better players...it's become huge business...and it's once again, as anything else in the U.S. corrupt. So, I believe there are a whole lot of people out there who get it...and feel the same way...and while athletes IS important...to a point, it shouldn't be the deciding factor of why a kid gets in college.

as far as the Paterno statue, this to me, has gone way to far...Paterno was wrong, but Sandusky committed the henous acts...and is the real criminal here....
Of course college is for education but that does not mean that athletes don't put work into their sport. Nor does it mean that all they do is run around and catch a ball. Paying out perks to gain better players is against the NCAA rules and they (NCAA) take it very, very seriously. College sports bring money into colleges and fund other, less popular sports as well as bolster the college as a whole. AFAIK, being good at sports in and of itself does not guarantee entrance into a post secondary institution. Instead, it gives those kids scholarships for schools but they (the kids) still have to perform academically. I know this was the case was PSU. Paterno was very big on education and his players have consistently performed better academically as compared to other Division I-A schools.

Old 07-26-2012, 08:42 PM

4,526 posts, read 6,085,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
having had tears of experience dealing with pro atheletes college or pro teams----the hardest work is physical---in most other academic areas many allowances are made-----how many penn state major football players went on to highly established ACADEMIC careers? any stats on that???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania