Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2012, 12:01 AM

222 posts, read 715,840 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

My husband and I will be taking a trip across Pennsylvania from Sullivan County, New York. We will end our trip in Pittsburgh, but we are very interested in sightseeing along the way. My husband is a musician (jazz,rock, & blues) and a railroad buff. We'd like to see scenic towns, offbeat attractions as well as beautiful scenery which we know PA is well known for. We have been to the Lancaster/Amish area which we loved, but we want to explore other parts of the state.

My husband and I really like going to diners, especially the ones that have a "mid-century look." Can you recommend some good ones?

Thank you so much for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2012, 06:25 AM

10,215 posts, read 17,909,615 times
If you're going near Philly, check out New Hope in the suburbs. Very scenic town with a historic railroad.
New Hope, Pennsylvania - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If you're going further into Philly, don't miss Chestnut Hill: Chestnut Hill, Philadelphia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If you're going through central PA, check out State College (home of Penn State) and Bellefonte:
State College, Pennsylvania - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Bellefonte, Pennsylvania - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

State College has a diner just called "The Diner" and Bellefonte has a historic train station, I believe

I am not familiar with PA west of Center County though so that's all I've got.

Old 07-29-2012, 06:29 AM

130 posts, read 310,791 times
You may enjoy Jim Thorpe. Beautiful area and a lot of interesting railroad history.

Old 07-29-2012, 07:08 AM

3,164 posts, read 6,710,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatWag View Post
You may enjoy Jim Thorpe. Beautiful area and a lot of interesting railroad history.

GREAT suggestion, one of our favorite PA vacation spots! The railroad ride through the gorge is AWESOME! Love the bike trails, love the town and surrounding areas!

Old 07-29-2012, 11:36 AM

32,964 posts, read 36,449,858 times
Railroad buff? He will love Steamtown.
Steamtown National Historic Site - Steamtown National Historic Site

You might take a swing through Centralia. That's an offbeat attraction.

There's always the Jimmy Stewart Museum in Indiana.

Old 07-29-2012, 06:03 PM

16,216 posts, read 11,359,246 times
If you go near State College, and are continuing to Pittsburgh from there, take PA 45 south through Sprice Creek vallley. The town of Spruce Creek itself is prety much frozen in time -- Jimmy Carter did a little trout fishing there some years ago. And you'll pass Indian Caverns coming into town.

Leaviing Spruce creek, you can either climb up the other side of the valley on 45 and pick up US 22 in Water Street, or follow the railroad via local roads to Union Furnace. Either one will lead to Altoona and Johnstown -- quite a bit to take in at either city.

Old 07-29-2012, 06:08 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,046,590 times
If you like railroad history, Altoona is definitely worth a visit. Altoona was built up as a railroad town in the 1850s. If you take the train from Altoona to Johnstown, you'll be able to ride on the famous Horseshoe Curve.

Johnstown is also worth seeing. You could visit the Flood museum and learn about the devastating 1889 flood, which is one of the biggest natural disasters in US history. The town is pretty neat -- lots of historic buildings and character all around, and the mountains are gorgeous.

I also recommend Ligonier -- it is a quaint little town in the mountains, and home to historic Fort Ligonier. They have a few antique shops that are fun to visit.

Old 07-29-2012, 08:25 PM

222 posts, read 715,840 times
Thank you all for your suggestions. Jonestown is definitely on our list. Now what are some offbeat places to visit in PA?

Has anyone been to TD Cats of the World? It looks interesting.

Old 07-29-2012, 11:29 PM

32,964 posts, read 36,449,858 times
Fill me in. What is TD Cats of the World?

Old 07-30-2012, 06:20 AM

24,446 posts, read 23,114,427 times
If you like amish farms, drive through Nittany Valley along route 192 heading west out of Lewisburg to Centre hall. You'll see a long wide valley of farms on either side bordered by mountains. And right now the fields of sunflowers some plant should be in bloom. I think you could also take Route 30 which is very scenic between Gettyburgh and past Chambersburg. Its a slow two lane though.
Route 80 is okay for mountains and some river gorges but otherwise boring. The road, is it 322 ? , that goes down to Altoona is also pretty scenic, its a narrow valley with some nice mountain vistas. I agree that Bellefonte is a town worth seeing, particularly the water reservoir park and the mansions and downtown business district.
A drive on route 61 will take you through some decaying coal towns, past coal banks and abandones collieries. Its worth seeing at least once. Centralia should be on your list as well. Ashland has a coal mine tour thats not too long and is very fascinating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania