Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2012, 08:09 AM

2,309 posts, read 4,372,631 times

Advertisements

My wife, extended family and myself drove down to Lake Nockamixon State Park to enjoy the scenery of the lake and to swim at the pool.

The day was perfect and a great time was had by all.

When it was time for us to leave I carried some of the heavier items back to the car as the others were still packing up.

After loading items into the trunk I started the car and waited for the others while observing people around me.

A family of five a couple of parking spaces down from where I was parked were loading up and getting into their vehicle.

When everyone was inside the car they sat for a minute while apparently opening up some candy.

As they began to drive away I saw hands tossing candy wrappers out the windows starting with the father.

I got out of the car and began yelling at them while pointing to the litter.
They slowed down then sped off.

Needless to say I went and picked up their trash.

What the hell is wrong with people??!!!?!?!?
I don't care where your at whether that would be center city Allentown or a state or federal park,
YOU DON"T LITTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

These people were less than human. They were pigs starting with the father.
How someone cannot care for their surroundings is beyond my comprehension.

Having lived for fourteen years in Helena Montana has shown what stiff fines can do to curb littering.
A few years ago an out of state tourist was caught littering in a state park near Helena and was slapped with a 5000.00 fine.

The person fought the charge and lost.

This is what's needed here in Pennsylvania, not just for protected areas but the entire state.

Thank you for listening to my rant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2012, 08:28 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,783,326 times
PA has to be one of the worst states for littering. When driving in from a neighboring state, I don't even need to see the Welcome to Pennsylvania sign. Its evident that I'm in PA when I start seeing the garbage laying on the side of the highway.

And what is it with smokers who feel entitled to just throw their butts out of car windows? Where do they think these go? (although I'm sure they just don't care). I can't believe so many have never heard of an ashtray??!

Old 08-03-2012, 12:18 PM

3,307 posts, read 9,360,630 times
There certainly are idiots everywhere, including PA state parks, but I've never noticed a littering problem at Nockamixon. Thankfully, this sounds like an isolated incident.

Old 08-03-2012, 02:28 PM

13,253 posts, read 33,437,211 times
This site might be of use the next time you see someone littering - Keep Pennsylvania Beautiful > Get Involved > Report A Dumpsite > Report Littering

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 08-03-2012, 06:14 PM

41,878 posts, read 74,938,731 times
Littering is a problem throughout the state. Can't remember where I read it, but it was a blog from a naturalist who works at Presque Isle State Park, who said they'd found every kind of litter imaginable on the beach, including neatly bagged dog poop.

Went to all the trouble to bag it, and left it on the beach. Wow.

Some litter is always going to be accidental -- a half-full bag of chips got sucked through my sunroof the other day and off it went before I could catch it -- but the bulk is always going to be from people who are just too damn lazy to find a trash can.

Old 08-04-2012, 10:46 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,928,130 times
Beltzville State Park is another place where people just act like total pigs and litter. Especially disgusting are the diapers strewn on the beach. Trash receptacles are provided and there just is no excuse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania