Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2012, 06:38 AM

302 posts, read 628,073 times

Advertisements

Im definitely eliminating Monroe. I've just read to much bad stuff. Northampton Im on the fence about.It seems SOME parts of the county are good but a majority is not very nice
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2012, 02:37 PM

1,193 posts, read 2,383,980 times
The Delaware Valley School District in Pike County would meet your "good schools" needs. It's a top-rated school district and you could definitely get a house within your budget. But you are far away from typical suburban amenities like malls and multiple shopping choices. Not much up there but a Wal-Mart and a Price Chopper, and even they would be 30 minutes away.

And I have commuted to Hackensack from farther south, in Monroe, and your husband is looking at a brutal commute. It is 45 minutes to an hour, speeding with no traffic, to get to I-80 down Route 209 from the Dingmans Ferry area (which is the farthest point south in the DelVal school district).

Some go across the Dingmans bridge and down 206 to 80, but still, I would guess it's 45 minutes to an hour. Somebody chime in if I'm way off-base.

Once you are on 80, you are looking at an hour and a half to J.C., give or take.

All this is without weather or traffic. Granted, leaving at 9 makes a big difference (I also commute off-hours), but still, it sounds like your husband is used to a straight shot on a highway, and living in Pike County is not comparable. You have one-lane roads, 45 or 50 mph speed limits, and hills (significant in snow) for the first third of his commute.

I would recommend Northampton for the commute, but I'd recommend towns a bit more west, in the Saucon Valley or Southern Lehigh School Districts in the Lehigh Valley, if good schools are your No. 1 priority. They are not too far from the NJ border and your husband will be on major highways his entire commute. He would likely still be over 90 minutes, though.

HTH

Old 08-27-2012, 05:59 PM

1,567 posts, read 3,108,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyalicia105 View Post
Im definitely eliminating Monroe. I've just read to much bad stuff. Northampton Im on the fence about.It seems SOME parts of the county are good but a majority is not very nice
The majority of Northampton is perfectly nice. Also, much of Monroe is quite nice. Don't be so quick to write off entire counties. Dig a little deeper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania