Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2012, 09:55 AM

302 posts, read 630,283 times

Advertisements

Me and my husband are relocating to PA from the Jersey shore. We need to stay as east to PA as possible because he commutes to Jersey City. Being right on the border of the state will help cut down commute time.Let me tell you about ourselves and what we are looking for...We have 5 kids so good schools are a MUST. We need access to a Catholic church. My husband likes using guns and ranges.I ride horses and we like moderate snow. We can afford a 250,000 house. Id like low crime and predominantly republican area. We need quick access to major highways, no state roads. I want rural but I need to know there are a few places to shop. We are not big nightlife people. I just dont want to travel an hour to go food shopping or to a pharmacy. Im a bit worried about flooding as well

Right now I really want to move to Pike. But Ive researched other areas. Ive heard most of Monroe is crappy. Ive heard Northhampton has god and bad. The only place in Bucks I can live is Upper Bucks which seems very remote and expensive. Ive been told Pike meets most of my needs.

What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2012, 12:23 PM

6,131 posts, read 7,996,099 times
I've lived in Pike (on the border of Monroe) and Northampton. Northern Pike is very nice but rather remote. My concern would be your husbands commute to Jersey City. It will be bad from anywhere in PA but from the Pike/Monroe area it will be the worst. If thats a consideration for you I suggest Northampton. You are correct there is good and bad there. A realtor should be able to help with that. If you decide to look in Northampton DM me and I can send you a recommendation for a very good realtor there.

Old 08-25-2012, 12:33 PM

2,095 posts, read 3,105,704 times
I agree with Northampton. You'll be near 78, making the commute a little better. The only "bad" parts of Northampton would be parts of Easton and Bethlehem. There are some very nice townships in the eastern part of Northampton County though. You may want to repost on the Lehigh Valley forum to get some suggestions on where to live.

Old 08-25-2012, 12:37 PM

He already commutes now an hour and a half and is accustomed to it.Plus he works midnites and leaves at 9pm.That will make a difference won't it?

Old 08-25-2012, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyalicia105 View Post
He already commutes now an hour and a half and is accustomed to it.Plus he works midnites and leaves at 9pm.That will make a difference won't it?
Yes that will definately make a difference. Pike is still really far from Jersey City though.

Old 08-25-2012, 12:59 PM

I was looking at Milford and Matamoras and Dingmans Ferry. It HAS to be the eastern border of Pike. Its only about 75 miles from Milford to JC from those towns according to the chamber of commerce. He drives 75 miles now.I did post in the lehigh valley forum though to find out some more about northhampton though

Old 08-25-2012, 01:12 PM

Quote:
I was looking at Milford and Matamoras and Dingmans Ferry. It HAS to be the eastern border of Pike. Its only about 75 miles from Milford to JC from those towns according to the chamber of commerce. He drives 75 miles now.I did post in the lehigh valley forum though to find out some more about northhampton though
Be sure to check out the schools in the Lehigh Valley very carefully. For example Forks Twp is very nice (we used to live there) and is right on the NJ border. But they send their kids to the Easton schools. Horrible school district. Thats why we moved.

Old 08-25-2012, 03:17 PM

2,362 posts, read 5,145,101 times
Wilson... Off of Rt 33 . Just before you hit rt 22

Old 08-25-2012, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverside4ever View Post
Wilson... Off of Rt 33 . Just before you hit rt 22
Wilson is where? And good or bad?

Old 08-25-2012, 06:07 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,554,386 times
Quote:
Wilson is where? And good or bad?
Wilson Area School District

Good or bad? Wilson Area School District - Easton PA - SchoolDigger.com

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania