Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2007, 08:47 AM

12 posts, read 46,624 times

Advertisements

Wife and I have two small kids (oldest will start school in a year). We are coming from the Toronto area and will be working in Hanover.

Looking for at least 1/2 acre and 4 bedrooms.

New Oxford seems nice, I visited there a few weeeks ago.

I know some folks in Dover, so it has made the list.

Dallastown is close to the Hockey Arena (I know that likely doesn't matter to most, but it will for our little guys) and has a highly regarded school system.

Littlestown is close to the MD border.

Gettysburg, is it a nightmare because of the tourist traffic?

What can anyone tell us about these areas? Thanks a lot in advance for you input as we coming in completely blind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2007, 12:37 PM

1,565 posts, read 4,308,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moving from Toronto View Post
Wife and I have two small kids (oldest will start school in a year). We are coming from the Toronto area and will be working in Hanover.

Looking for at least 1/2 acre and 4 bedrooms.

New Oxford seems nice, I visited there a few weeeks ago.

I know some folks in Dover, so it has made the list.

Dallastown is close to the Hockey Arena (I know that likely doesn't matter to most, but it will for our little guys) and has a highly regarded school system.

Littlestown is close to the MD border.

Gettysburg, is it a nightmare because of the tourist traffic?

What can anyone tell us about these areas? Thanks a lot in advance for you input as we coming in completely blind.
New oxford isn't bad, but if there is a 'ghetto' in the area, that would be the place. I wouldn't be afraid to walk alone at night through it, but it's generally a lower income area and the school system is....eh. Drug dealing is relatively commonplace in New Oxford, but when it comes to crime it's not really that bad.

Gettysburg isn't THAT bad with tourist traffic. During the non-tourist season (sept-april) roads are pretty good, snow removal is relatively prompt, and not bad. Tourist season builds until the 1st-3rd which is when you need to know the back roads to get around anytime soon. Route 30 becomes horrendous, and anything on the south of town is just flat out bad. North of gettysburg (using route 30 as the half way point) is pretty much tourist free, due to nothing there for tourists. Only people would be college students within the borders of the town. Outside the borders to the north there isn't any traffic problems.

I'd also recommend checking out bonneville. Only thing that might be a detractor in my eyes is the 10 minute drive to get to a grocery store. Other than that, it's an easy commute down 116 into Hanover.

Also, abbottstown has had a bunch of development of the type of houses in the ballpark you're looking for, so you might want to check that area out too.

Travel times:
Gettysburg-Hanover via route 30 and Hanover Street: Usually 30 minutes, less during non-tourist times
Gettysburg-Hanover via 116: roughly 20-25 minutes
Gettysburg-Hanover via 30/Centenial Road: 25-30 minutes
Bonneville-Hanover via 116: 15-20 minutes
New Oxford-Hanover 5-10 minutes via Hanover Street

Old 10-05-2007, 01:37 PM

113 posts, read 549,770 times
Hi Moving from Toronto~

We are relocating to PA in a couple months from Minnesota, and I know what you mean about being near the ice rink. Here, we have indoor ice (most of the time 2 sheets) in every town, so we are mapping all the areas we are considering to see if it is too far from the Bethlehem Ice Arena. I have one hockey player and one figure skater.

My husband has done tons of research and spoken to hockey program directors out there, and for our son it seems the Bethlehem Blast will give him the competition and level of play he is used to here in MN.

I don't have any help for you, but thought I'd offer you best of luck -- from one hockey family to another

Old 10-05-2007, 07:21 PM

2,050 posts, read 5,940,752 times
Dallastown has excellent schools, as does York Suburban. They are both close to the hockey rink and have active programs within the community. There are numerous traveling teams (sort of the little league of hockey) from this area as well. If you live on the west side of 83, but within the school district, you can take back roads to Hanover and get there in about 45 minutes. Spring Grove has some beautiful homes in your price range, but there is so much growth and development that they are having a hard time keeping up with space for the student population. PA has some weird system of allowing and allocating money for new schools. You can't build schools on projection, only on existing enrollment.

New Oxford and Littlestown have difficulty getting and keeping teachers. I'm not sure if it's the pay, the working conditions or the administration, but there is high turnover every year and jobs posted up until school starts. Littlestown teachers have not had a contract for 3 years.

You can look up the school systems and their test scores on the Pennsylvania Department of Education website.

Old 10-05-2007, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teachbeach View Post
Spring Grove has some beautiful homes in your price range, but there is so much growth and development that they are having a hard time keeping up with space for the student population. PA has some weird system of allowing and allocating money for new schools. You can't build schools on projection, only on existing enrollment.

New Oxford and Littlestown have difficulty getting and keeping teachers. I'm not sure if it's the pay, the working conditions or the administration, but there is high turnover every year and jobs posted up until school starts. Littlestown teachers have not had a contract for 3 years.

You can look up the school systems and their test scores on the Pennsylvania Department of Education website.
Spring grove smells like sauerkraut because of the paper mills. I personally wouldnt recommend it.

And NO isn't a good school imo. My cousins go there and it's chaotic compared to other area schools. Fights are common as are drugs (drug busts happen on the elementary school grounds relatively frequently).

Old 10-06-2007, 04:25 AM

1,032 posts, read 4,262,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marodi View Post
Spring grove smells like sauerkraut...
This made me laugh

Old 10-06-2007, 05:49 AM

I have been visiting the area for the past 10 years and am familiar with Spring Grove. I know some folks that live there and it is either "you smell it" or "you don't".

Dallastown seems a bit far from Hanover, I drive over 50 miles each way right now and would like to lessen my commute time.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Old 10-06-2007, 07:35 AM

So I forgot to ask, why don't you want to live in hanover?

Old 10-06-2007, 12:22 PM

That is a fair question, I don't know why we wouldn't live in Hanover. The town doesn't do much for me, although it does have all the amenities there.

Old 03-13-2011, 01:17 AM

21 posts, read 46,758 times
I know this is YEARS later, but where did you end up living? We're moving for Las Vegas to MD and my hubby will be working in Hanover. Not sure where to live? We have 2 weeks!!! Small children too. Want to be safe.
I'm Canadian too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania