U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2012, 11:09 AM

46 posts, read 130,750 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

I'm a retired senior. My sister is a few years younger and will be retiring in the near future. We live in Central Delaware now, but we are concerned with the increasing crime rates, proposed new asphalt plant near our houses, and the increasing influx of welfare residents due to Delaware's low taxes and the sluggish economy. There are a lot of shootings, muggings, panhandling, and drug related violence. The congestion and traffic here now in this once very quiet area is getting out of hand. It seems that the town officials are more concerned about revenue than the decreasing quality of life.

We want to consider Pennsylvania, but we don't want to move further west than the Harrisburg area.

We must find 2 small ranch style condos with no exterior maintenance, each with a garage. We are NOT interested in 2 family or 2 story homes, duplex, "mother-daughter", or in-law suites. We want our own units in the same community. A 55+ community would be nice, but it's not a priority. We are not going to have kids in school, so school issues are not a priority either . We just want to have access to safe and nearby shopping venues and good medical care.

Our main priority is that the crime rates reported on the sites showing the FBI crime stats for any suggested area be BELOW the national average.

Our first choice was York, but we are hearing and seeing a lot of mixed reviews and crime reports for that area. We also like the Pocono region (Stroudburg, Saylorsburg, Pocono Pines, etc.), but condos seem to be few and far between.

We are open to and would appreciate all suggestions. Realtors cannot legally disclose crime issues and area problems due to the Fair Housing guidelines, so we really need YOUR help. HELP!!!!!!!

Last edited by Mec4U; 09-02-2012 at 11:12 AM.. Reason: typos
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2012, 05:51 PM

416 posts, read 592,507 times
I'm personally very impressed with Phoebe Berks Village in Wernersville.
Berks Media

They have cottages you can buy that you can sell for guaranteed 70% return in the future (so no fear that you'll get caught in a housing bust). The facilities are wonderful. With no lawn care and with an indoor pool and lots of events on site. There is an assisted living facility there with extra care available, if needed, but the village area is really, really nice in my opinion. The video I linked to above shows the interiors of the cottages, and I didn't know the rules allowed you to keep your dog. I don't know particulars, but the people I've known who lived there loved it.

BTW, crime is basically nonexistant and you're in the clear air of the countryside, but only .5 mile to a strip mall and 5 miles to the enclosed Berkshire Mall and less than 5 miles to St. Joseph Hospital or Reading Hospital.

Phoebe gets my vote.

Old 09-03-2012, 03:11 PM

2,048 posts, read 5,339,735 times
You would be fine in York. The areas for "high crime" in York are mainly in the city. If you look at the perimeters, they still may have a York mailing address, but are actually in a township or borough, away from the city. Look at Windsor Township, Dallastown, Manchester, Dover or Red Lion areas...I know there are many communities that fit your wants/needs. They are all within 10 miles of York~so you would have the access to the good medical care (as well as John Hopkins in MD and Hershey/Harrisburg etc.). Most of the shopping in York is along Route 30, and a quick 20 minutes to Lancaster provides you further choices.

Old 09-03-2012, 03:14 PM

Thank you, but my sister and I are only in our late 50's. We are not interested in any type of large managed facility with a very elderly population that looks or feels in my humble opinion anything like a nursing home or assisited living facilty or something that comes across as a "prelude" to that situation. Example: Phoebe's, Maris Grove, Ann's Choice. Even for people who are interested in these facilities, many of them have a minimum age requirement of 62.

Old 09-03-2012, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teachbeach View Post
You would be fine in York. The areas for "high crime" in York are mainly in the city. If you look at the perimeters, they still may have a York mailing address, but are actually in a township or borough, away from the city. Look at Windsor Township, Dallastown, Manchester, Dover or Red Lion areas...I know there are many communities that fit your wants/needs. They are all within 10 miles of York~so you would have the access to the good medical care (as well as John Hopkins in MD and Hershey/Harrisburg etc.). Most of the shopping in York is along Route 30, and a quick 20 minutes to Lancaster provides you further choices.

Thank you for quelling our fears about York. York still comes out as a prime target for us. It has a decent variety of condos in our price range. You have been most helpful!

Old 09-03-2012, 11:01 PM

As I've been "edited" previously for mentioning names~I'll try once again to give you pinpoints of places you may want to look. All are one floor living, maintenance free exteriors (I think you do pay an association fee), and the few that I've been in are well laid out and well built. No basements, but large garages. Equine Meadows (Red Lion/Dallastown Area), Laurel Vistas (Red Lion), Seneca Ridge (Dover), there are some in Spring Grove (about 15 minutes west of York), and many of the other condos, not necessarily over 55, have 1st floor masters with extra bedrooms on the second floor. Good luck!

Old 09-03-2012, 11:05 PM

1,434 posts, read 3,594,523 times
You didn't mention a price range, so I'm going to recommend Traditions of America in Silver Spring. It's a 55+ community just outside of Mechanicsburg, considered part of the Harrisburg metro. It has easy access to pretty much everything; the nearest Interstate is about 5-10 miles away, the nearest commercial strip is about 2-3 miles away, and you've got cities ten minutes to the east and rural countryside / small towns ten minutes to the west. They have both standalone homes and three-wide condos. Prices start around $225k.

New homes for sale

Old 09-04-2012, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownHarrisburg View Post
You didn't mention a price range, so I'm going to recommend Traditions of America in Silver Spring. It's a 55+ community just outside of Mechanicsburg, considered part of the Harrisburg metro. It has easy access to pretty much everything; the nearest Interstate is about 5-10 miles away, the nearest commercial strip is about 2-3 miles away, and you've got cities ten minutes to the east and rural countryside / small towns ten minutes to the west. They have both standalone homes and three-wide condos. Prices start around $225k.

New homes for sale

Thank you. I'm sure there are tons of beautiful condos in that price range. But we would be looking for a max of 125,000 per condo. I know it's kind of low, but we'ere trying to purchase without mortgages. We want smaller units (1100 - 1200 sq. ft. would be sufficient) -2 BR 1 and 1/2 Bath each. with a garage. We don't need a lot of yard space or a basement, and we don't care about any amentites other than lawn care and snow removal.

Old 09-04-2012, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teachbeach View Post
As I've been "edited" previously for mentioning names~I'll try once again to give you pinpoints of places you may want to look. All are one floor living, maintenance free exteriors (I think you do pay an association fee), and the few that I've been in are well laid out and well built. No basements, but large garages. Equine Meadows (Red Lion/Dallastown Area), Laurel Vistas (Red Lion), Seneca Ridge (Dover), there are some in Spring Grove (about 15 minutes west of York), and many of the other condos, not necessarily over 55, have 1st floor masters with extra bedrooms on the second floor. Good luck!

Thanks again Teach! Just want to mention that our price range is only around 125,000 per condo because we want to buy cash, if possible at the time.

We are not interested in any single family homes, any large managed facility with a nursing home feel that has a very elderly population , or any type of manufactured home or land-lease community.

2 communities that seem to fit ALL our needs are: Ashcombe Farm in Weigelstown (Dover) and Stonebridge Crossings in Dover. Shiloh Ridge would be another one except that their YORK zip code comes up a little "on the fence" in terms of on their FBI crime ratings.

If you know anything about these communitities or know of others like them, kindly let us know.

I know we're awfully picky for 2 people in our price range, but we see no point in making a move at all if we don't get what we want or wind up going through a stressful move only to encounter the same negative quality of life issues that we're trying to get away from.

Old 09-04-2012, 08:14 PM

The ones I mentioned are the same layout and could possibly have been built by same builder. Shiloh and Dover are slightly north and west of York, but still close enough. The only disadvantage is that the main road (Route 74/Carlisle Pike) is VERY congested. You can take back roads (Bull Road, Salem Church, Route 238) as alternates to get into Dover. There are several shoppette centers along Carlisle Pike~grocery stores, fast food etc., but the malls and nicer restaurants are going to be closer to York.

Check out Longstown Village (Red Lion zip code). Also Country Ridge (Red Lion zip, Dallastown schools). They are close to Route 30 and 83, and on the south east side of York.

Do you need a realtor? We just sold a home in York, so I could give you the name of someone who would "get you" and show you or send you listings for what you are looking for. PM me and I'll give you a couple of names of people that I know personally that would be helpful.

The following zip codes are in the city itself-17401, 17405, 17415, and you might want to double check any homes that you are looking at if they have this zip code. The others (17402, 17403, 17404, 17406, 17407, 17408, 17356, 17313), would be fine, they are actually OUTside of the city limits, in their own borough or township and not really considered part of the city.

Last edited by teachbeach; 09-04-2012 at 08:33 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania