Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2006, 07:27 PM

1 posts, read 12,349 times

Advertisements

I am from California. My family and I are thinking to moving to Pennsylvania in 9- 12 months. We have been there to visit in the past 2 years in the summer time in Manheim, Lititz, York, Hershey, and Gettysburg. We loved it there and the people seemed friendly. My question is what city would be best to move a family in Pennsylvania? I want to make a good decision and compare to California, live somewhere that is somewhat peaceful..... Any help would be appreciated...

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2006, 04:53 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,208,000 times
I would add the Lancaster area to your short list. Peaceful, beautiful landscape,amish, closer but still at arms length to all the good modernized upscale things that metro Philadelphia has to offer, Lancaster also gets you closer to the great beaches of South jersey than Gettysburg/Harrisburg.( 2-3 hour drive. )

Old 12-14-2006, 12:34 AM

2 posts, read 24,701 times
Hello thats a big jump from cali to pa do you like to ski north east is the place
to be.how old are your children? The school system is great I made the move
from vegas 6yrs ago and with 4 children and loving it!!!!!! any help feel
free to contact me I also am a mortgage broker...
also only 2:30mins to the nyc

Last edited by jpone; 12-14-2006 at 12:37 AM.. Reason: ADD A LINE

Old 12-14-2006, 12:39 AM

2 posts, read 24,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strgth4yu View Post
I am from California. My family and I are thinking to moving to Pennsylvania in 9- 12 months. We have been there to visit in the past 2 years in the summer time in Manheim, Lititz, York, Hershey, and Gettysburg. We loved it there and the people seemed friendly. My question is what city would be best to move a family in Pennsylvania? I want to make a good decision and compare to California, live somewhere that is somewhat peaceful..... Any help would be appreciated...

Thanks
Hello thats a big jump from cali to pa do you like to ski north east is the place
to be.how old are your children? The school system is great I made the move
from vegas 6yrs ago and with 4 children and loving it!!!!!! any help feel
free to contact me I also am a mortgage broker...
also only 2:30mins to the nyc

Old 12-14-2006, 11:10 AM

2,637 posts, read 7,426,122 times
Stay away from York City. It has lots of crime, bad schools and high property taxes. If you are looking to the York area, the better school districts down there are York Suburban, Central York and Eastern York.

Old 12-18-2006, 09:29 AM

1,271 posts, read 2,592,657 times
Quote:

Thanks
It all depends on what you do for an occupation? Have you looked into the job market or do you work for yourself? It also depends on where in California you are comparing it to? You won't find anyplace in PA comparable to Southern California or the OC lifestyle. I would say of all the towns/cities you listed, Gettysburg has the nicest downtown and area setting and probably the safest. Yes it's a tourist area with the Battlefield but it's very close to MD. There are plenty of small towns in PA, but the job market is not so great.

Old 09-20-2012, 04:06 PM

3 posts, read 10,910 times
i wouldn't move here from Calif or any where else. The people are stand offish. If you are looking to work here don't hold your breath. Jobs only go to the locals. They smile in your face then stab you in your back. I've never lived anywhere like this before. I was raised in the military. My sons welcome here was to be told to go back to his own country. I never felt prejudice til I move here and I'm white. They are fake phone people who hide behind a God and I have no clue who their God is cause they are all anti social and nasty. They rob from their empolyers. The business ownser were handed down the companies and have no clue what they are doing which allows the holy roller thief to steal from then, then you lose your job. I'd stay in Calif. My dad was born there and I moved out there. The people here suck big time I have two more year and I'm out. Praise the Lorde, my real God. Not the one they bow to.

Old 09-20-2012, 09:35 PM

932 posts, read 1,943,491 times
Jobs and income in Lancaster are pretty low, especially compared to California. I'd advise moving closer to Philly. the income will be comparable, and the cost of living lower than what you're used to.

The poster above seems to have a bit of a chip on his shoulder, but he's not entirely wrong. The county has many enclaves of very closed off communities. Brecknock Township, Ephrata and New Holland are more in tune with reality than the rest of the county. Ephrata and New Holland are particularly quaint little towns with some things to do. Brecknock is a sprawling rural area with no local PD and a lot of Philly, NY and Pittsburgh transplants looking to escape the hubbub of city life. Of course, in the 10 years that I lived in Brecknock, a lot of developments sprung up for that very reason. The fortunate part is most of the people who move there don't bring their problems with them, as is expected with typical sprawl.

If you are going to move out here, I'd suggest finding a job somewhere closer to the city and suck up the commute, or do like I do, and find a job you can telecommute to, because jobs in Lancaster tend to not pay squat.

Old 09-21-2012, 06:54 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,810,254 times
lancaster has also become a favorite for transplants (the city that is) and people seem a lot more open than the county. I like gettysburg as well but I have no idea what it's like to live there.

Old 09-21-2012, 11:42 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,504,937 times
Quote:

Thanks
This post, the OP, is the one and only post from this poster and is 12 years old!!

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania