Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2012, 06:40 AM

2,309 posts, read 4,384,486 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
The stove top burners aren't being used all day. Regardless, keep in mind, when cooking Thanksgiving dinner all day, most people end up cracking their windows because it gets too hot inside (since their furnace is on too). When trying to heat a house with an oven or stove, people keep their windows closed to trap the heat. Some people even close themselves off in the kitchen to isolate the heat in one room. As a result, a house has more oxygen while cooking Thanksgiving dinner compared to a house that is being heated soley by a stove because those open flames need oxygen to burn. The scary thing is that some people think it's safe simply because they've never had a problem. It's like Russian Roulette.

As I said before, on for thirty minutes then off for thirty minutes.
Cross ventilation with cracked windows if needed.
There's more risk with a space heater than doing this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2012, 07:01 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,140,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
New chainsaw because I needed one anyway, check

Does that mean you are getting a wood burner or simply for kindling for the coal stove?

Stay dry and out of the storm!

Old 10-29-2012, 07:21 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Does that mean you are getting a wood burner or simply for kindling for the coal stove?

Stay dry and out of the storm!
There is a lot of big trees on my lot, Irene took out 3 of them and one of them was really large Hickory. The former owners didn't do much on the back side of the house so that is what I need it for mostly. There is lot of stuff that has to get cut mostly pine I'll burn outside with a beer in my hand.

This is from Irene, the tree is actually falling over here, my brother with saw in his hand was cutting it down when it decided to come down itself. It just slowly fell over:

Here's where the one rock maple currently resides :

Old 10-29-2012, 09:04 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,526,609 times
A map with Shelters.

Google Crisis Map

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 10-29-2012, 09:52 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,140,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
There is a lot of big trees on my lot, Irene took out 3 of them and one of them was really large Hickory. The former owners didn't do much on the back side of the house so that is what I need it for mostly. There is lot of stuff that has to get cut mostly pine I'll burn outside with a beer in my hand.

This is from Irene, the tree is actually falling over here, my brother with saw in his hand was cutting it down when it decided to come down itself. It just slowly fell over:

Here's where the one rock maple currently resides :
Who did you find to saw it? I have one Black Walnut that I retrieved from my parent's house, after Irene, and have been looking for a sawmill that will tackle the ten foot logs. I had previously had a cherry cut up an made into furniture – the the small, portable, mill is no longer in operation.

What I really liked about the cherry tree into furniture is that we documented the whole process. From when it was a tree, to after it fell, to sawing into lumber, the the Mennonite that made it into furniture and then the final finished pieces. We made large pictures and put them in plastic on the undersides of the tables and hutches they made. The whole history is right there. The Mennonite shop is down country by the intersection of Rt. 222 and I-76 (if you or anybody is interested and if they are still in business).

After this storm there should be plenty of trees that could be made into furniture. It is just an alternative (if you can find a mill). It is great to do something with the wood besides paying somebody to haul it away or burn it in the fireplace.

Old 10-29-2012, 10:25 AM

8,695 posts, read 11,081,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryson662001 View Post
If you listen to the media, New York City will be destroyed but the rest of us will be ok. I can't wait. NYC RIP
yes, we NYers are really scared of a little rain.

Old 10-29-2012, 10:26 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by julian17033 View Post
As I said before,
I was answering Tirade's question.

Quote:
on for thirty minutes then off for thirty minutes.
Cross ventilation with cracked windows if needed.
How do you know when "if needed?" Do you wait for the weakest link in your family to pass out?

Quote:
There's more risk with a space heater than doing this.
I don't use space heaters either.

Old 10-29-2012, 02:48 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Who did you find to saw it?
I'll have to ask my Brother but the guy is in Sweet Valley. He has a lot of rough cut lumber there too, I have a pplaner, jointer and molding machine. If somone is buying oak molding for $5 I'm paying a buck.

Old 10-29-2012, 02:58 PM

7,975 posts, read 7,351,944 times
We have firewood, propane, plenty of bottled spring water, flashlights, and candles. Also, a pantry full of dry and canned goods. We live in Western PA, so our main worry is loss of power. I'm a bit concerned about the 100 year old pine trees that surround our house, though.

Edit: DH set up the sump pump in the basement.

Old 10-29-2012, 05:46 PM

4,507 posts, read 4,045,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatildaLoo View Post
And if they didn't "cry wolf" you'd be one of the first to complain that they didn't do enough to warn people.

You may be out of the way of danger but many in the northeast part of the state saw some serious damage last year from Irene and Lee.

People need to realize that news agencies aren't just talking personally to them, they are addressing entire areas in which some people may see major issues whereas others may not see any. It's not just about you, so grow up.
I think you missed the part where I lived in the south and these things happen regularly. This is the equivalent of anyone slightly south shutting everything down for a thin layer of snow on the ground.

The media are private organizations, why should I be expecting anything from them?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania