Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2012, 09:33 AM

9,846 posts, read 22,668,568 times

Advertisements

We passed unscathed, not any worse than many other storms. The water levels have come down, power never went out and one tree will have to be chainsawed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2012, 10:08 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
We passed unscathed, not any worse than many other storms. The water levels have come down, power never went out and one tree will have to be chainsawed.
Lost one too, medium sized birch. I get to fire up my new chainsaw.

Old 10-30-2012, 10:24 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
Mike Nigh is actually correct. this storms wasn't that dangerous for inland communities in and of itself.
The Erie coastline was slammed, and West Virginia did get up to two feet of snow.

Old 10-30-2012, 11:53 AM

24,392 posts, read 23,044,056 times
This was the worst storm for us in probably 15 years here in SE Pa. We lost power for 14 hours and only just got it back on.
It went off at 11:15 last nite and the worst of the storm probably didn't hit until past midnite to 3 AM. We were caught without a portable generator but will definitely get one in a week or two. We had everything else, sterno, propane heater, portable radio, plenty of batteries, oil lamps, even a batttery powered TV which picked up Philly stations.
I was worried about the trees but they came through it without a hitch. Even the old rotten weak cherry tree held up without even a branch down. The neighbors poplar tree lost some small branches and we heard a big thump which turned out to be a branch laying on our roof next to the chimney. I don't plan to climb up there to get it.
Two planters got knocked over and rolled of fthe front steps into the flower bed. The sump pump was off and we got a very small trickle in the basement from the sump pump well to the drain but the rain was never that heavy. Just before the power went out a local township weather station from The Weather Underground was recording sustained winds of 30 MPH and gusts were over 50 MPH at the airport. It got stronger after that. I let the dog out about 1 AM and it was like a freight train was going through the neighborhood.
I took a cold shower this morning( brrrr) and will have to rake a LOT of leaves but I'll wait until it stops raining. I did a store run at noon to get some instant coffee and saw the damage and the trees that fell and took down our power lines. I also did a run to some hardware stores to inquire about generators. One local hardware store sold 500 over the weekend. Its amazing that the small guys completely came through while the big box places came up empty.
Sadly one local resident was killed when a tree fell on his house.
I'm going to write my yearly Christmas Red Cross check a little early and add some to help those who suffered far worse from this storm. I hope everybody helps out eithe rlocally if there was damage or to a national fund.

Old 10-30-2012, 12:17 PM

2,309 posts, read 4,381,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
The stove top burners aren't being used all day. Regardless, keep in mind, when cooking Thanksgiving dinner all day, most people end up cracking their windows because it gets too hot inside (since their furnace is on too). When trying to heat a house with an oven or stove, people keep their windows closed to trap the heat. Some people even close themselves off in the kitchen to isolate the heat in one room. As a result, a house has more oxygen while cooking Thanksgiving dinner compared to a house that is being heated soley by a stove because those open flames need oxygen to burn. The scary thing is that some people think it's safe simply because they've never had a problem. It's like Russian Roulette.

Well Hopes, I died, all of us are now dead from using the burners. The power went off I used them and we passed away. The power came back on and illuminated where our bodies were located in the house.

Old 10-30-2012, 12:46 PM

Location: The Flagship City and Vacation in the Paris of Appalachia
2,773 posts, read 3,855,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
The Erie coastline was slammed, and West Virginia did get up to two feet of snow.
Yeah we had 20 foot waves last night and they are predicting about the same in Erie again tonight. It is not that big of a deal if you don't live right on the water, but Presque Isle has lost alot of sand already and erosion is going to be a huge issue along the coast of Lake Erie.

Old 10-30-2012, 05:05 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,811,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
This was the worst storm for us in probably 15 years here in SE Pa. We lost power for 14 hours and only just got it back on.
It went off at 11:15 last nite and the worst of the storm probably didn't hit until past midnite to 3 AM. We were caught without a portable generator but will definitely get one in a week or two. We had everything else, sterno, propane heater, portable radio, plenty of batteries, oil lamps, even a batttery powered TV which picked up Philly stations.
for SEPA it was a pretty average storm. the winds weren't particularly high nor was it much of a flood threat (from rain). the damage caused by the Irene/Lee combo was much worse. I guess these things are highly localized unless they're major like agnes. sustained wins of 30-50 mph is probably what mike was referring to, they're fairly mild in the grand scheme of things. not a storm to take lightly but hazel had sustained winds of 94 mph recorded at the airport.

I'm embarrassed to say I didn't know it snowed in WV (although it doesn't seem that it was actually unwelcome)...and by inland I had thought of SEPA and central PA rather than erie...erosion is a natural thing, at least in jersey.

Last edited by pman; 10-30-2012 at 05:17 PM..

Old 10-30-2012, 10:56 PM

2,095 posts, read 3,101,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by julian17033 View Post
Well Hopes, I died, all of us are now dead from using the burners. The power went off I used them and we passed away. The power came back on and illuminated where our bodies were located in the house.
Oh you!

I am glad to hear that for many of my friends and family, the worst they endured were power outages. Still waiting to hear from a friend living near the NJ coast, and I'm a bit afraid that I haven't heard from her yet although I am hoping that is because she doesn't have power, not because she has been hit hard.

Old 10-30-2012, 10:59 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by julian17033 View Post
Glad to hear you survived another round of russian roulette!

Old 10-31-2012, 06:16 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,811,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatildaLoo View Post
Oh you!

I am glad to hear that for many of my friends and family, the worst they endured were power outages. Still waiting to hear from a friend living near the NJ coast, and I'm a bit afraid that I haven't heard from her yet although I am hoping that is because she doesn't have power, not because she has been hit hard.
that seems likely, the storm flooding from the ocean was significant, and as much as water and power don't mix, salt water is even worse. I believe a lot of cell towers were damaged as well (and I'm sure the remaining ones are overwhelmed).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania