Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2012, 04:22 PM

10,220 posts, read 16,720,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTA88 View Post
No idea... There's not a whole lot to do there, but a lot of Philadelphians and New Yorkers are moving there to get away from the hubbub. I think we all know how that ends. It is a very convenient location in that it's less than 2 hours from Philly, Baltimore or DC, and only 3 hours from NY. I did the commute from Lancaster to CC, though, and it's unbearable. I can't imagine many people would want to drive all that way. Chester or Mont Co, or especially Reading, however are very doable.
that's probably why 560k riders boarded trains last year in lancaster city. it's 63-73 minutes depending on the train. people do the commute to philly but I doubt many do it to ny. I'd guess it's less back office stuff than freelancers, sales, and other people who don't need to be in the actual office more than a couple times a month. there's been rumors of cutting the train trip time to 45-55 minutes but you know how that stuff goes (or rather, often doesn't).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2012, 07:35 PM

Internet marketing firm moves from Manheim to Lancaster - Business

Old 11-02-2012, 09:31 PM

1,196 posts, read 1,798,358 times
Not sure what the point is...as interesting as it may be.

Does Lancaster County have any signs of a tech industry? Is it growing?

Old 11-02-2012, 10:07 PM

932 posts, read 1,931,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
that's probably why 560k riders boarded trains last year in lancaster city. it's 63-73 minutes depending on the train. people do the commute to philly but I doubt many do it to ny. I'd guess it's less back office stuff than freelancers, sales, and other people who don't need to be in the actual office more than a couple times a month. there's been rumors of cutting the train trip time to 45-55 minutes but you know how that stuff goes (or rather, often doesn't).
Yeah, I wish I'd known how convenient the Amtrak was when I was living in Lancaster and working in CC. Driving it was stupid on my part.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpacker View Post

Not so much as a pulse that I have found. A few mom & pop shops, but I had to leave the county to find work.

Old 11-03-2012, 02:01 PM

Quote:

Don't know just thought it was relevant to the topic. Fulton bank is building an 8 story building downtown. I'd say a lot of growth is as a bedroom community but the city is showing signs of life. Nothing like when Armstrong was in full swing I:cryi guess. Bta88-amtrak was a lot less reliable before they put money into the line in 2006. Ridership at Lancaster has more than doubled

Old 11-03-2012, 04:03 PM

14,613 posts, read 17,277,792 times
Quote:
Lancaster County is a place I visit a bit-though it has been awhile since I last visited-and always come away charmed by all it has to offer, along with a nice geographical location to a lot of nice areas that are a short drive away. One thing I've notice is their seems to be quite of bit of construction-from housing and residential developments to retail to commerce. Is the area growing as it may appear? Is the economy sound (relatively speaking, considering the overall national and even global economy)? Is Lancaster County going to continue to grow it's business base, and grow in general?
The growth of the following six contiguous counties has been 862,558 in the past 30 years, while the whole state of PA added 838,484 . Much of PA is losing population.

Berks 98,933
York 122,009
Bucks 146,038
Montgomery 156,253
Lancaster 157,099
Chester 182,226

Quote:
I know tourism is a key player, but it seems like other industries and entrepreneurs might be making investments as well.
Tourism is a major subject of media articles, and tourist agencies are always spouting off about the economic benefits of tourism. Just cutting and pasting a statement that I found at random.

Tourism is an $18 billion industry in Pennsylvania that employs more than 600,000 people in the state. More than 140 million tourists visit Pennsylvania each year, making it the fifth-most-visited state in the country.

If you really think about it, $18 billion amounts to $3.88 per capita per day for the state. It's not really that much money.

Lancaster County is part of the 9 county area that the Pennsylvania Tourism Board refers to as the "Dutch County Roads" region. I calculated the amount of money spent on hotel rooms in the region. It amounts to 62 cents per capita per day.

Tourism is not the key economic player that most promotional boards and media articles lead you to believe. It is probably well below fast food in most cases. Exceptions are places like the Bahamas where a dozen times the local population comes to visit in a year, and spends a fortune.

Old 11-03-2012, 06:32 PM

1,099 posts, read 4,599,822 times
The tech scene is fairly strong in south central PA, despite what you may think. I'm in that sector and there is always a steady stream of job openings, especially in Harrisburg and Lancaster. Mapquest is still headquartered in Lancaster, though they opened a second office in Denver a few years ago.

Old 11-04-2012, 09:35 AM

7,964 posts, read 7,299,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTA88 View Post
The Philly burbs are spilling into the eastern half of the county, particularly in Narvon, Brecknock, East Earl and Earl townships. When I moved to Bowmansville (Brecknock) in 2001, there were 3 developments in town, and a small strip of stores/bars/churches. Now there are at least 7 developments, more popping up every time I go back, and the town is spreading in all directions. Most of the people I know/have met in the developments started out in Philly or the burbs. I'll be shocked if Lancaster is officially part of Greater Phila by 2030.

The farms are quickly shrinking and drying up, as the land is more valuable than farming it. The small farmers/Amish out here can't compete with the corporate run, assembly line style mega farms in the midwest.

DH and I lived in neighboring Brecknock Twp. (Berks County) near Maple Grove over 30 years ago. Then, it was very rural. I was back once, about five years ago, and it's turned into the suburbs we always hated and avoided. It made me cry, and I vowed never to go there again. The beautiful countryside is filled with McMansion developments.

Old 11-04-2012, 09:42 AM

1,196 posts, read 1,798,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post

Tourism is a major subject of media articles, and tourist agencies are always spouting off about the economic benefits of tourism. Just cutting and pasting a statement that I found at random.

Tourism is an $18 billion industry in Pennsylvania that employs more than 600,000 people in the state. More than 140 million tourists visit Pennsylvania each year, making it the fifth-most-visited state in the country.

If you really think about it, $18 billion amounts to $3.88 per capita per day for the state. It's not really that much money.

Lancaster County is part of the 9 county area that the Pennsylvania Tourism Board refers to as the "Dutch County Roads" region. I calculated the amount of money spent on hotel rooms in the region. It amounts to 62 cents per capita per day.

Tourism is not the key economic player that most promotional boards and media articles lead you to believe. It is probably well below fast food in most cases. Exceptions are places like the Bahamas where a dozen times the local population comes to visit in a year, and spends a fortune.
Interesting stats. I'll have to dig into them more.

Interesting article on the Amish looking at new revenue streams: Entrepreneurship Unplugged: Amish and the Internet, Starting a Business Article | Inc.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by danwxman View Post
The tech scene is fairly strong in south central PA, despite what you may think. I'm in that sector and there is always a steady stream of job openings, especially in Harrisburg and Lancaster. Mapquest is still headquartered in Lancaster, though they opened a second office in Denver a few years ago.
Seems like you would a big pool of engineering and business talent from all of the colleges and universities that are within proximity (Penn, Penn State, Temple, Bryn Mawr, Franklin & Marshall, U. of Delaware, ect.) to build a nice base from.

http://www.meetup.com/startuplancaster/

Old 11-04-2012, 10:07 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,746,347 times
The Keystone corridor has exploded with growth over the last 15 years and if recent trends continue it should start focus inward in town centers and cities instead of outward which ruins the rural life... Other corridors which will be a part of the states future Rail Network have started similar growth patterns over the last 10 years...

Keystone East should have the following stations by 2025 , connecting services listed aswell....with a spoke system in the works for PA...most stations should be upgraded or built by 2020 with full upgrades by 2025 and state network maybe by 2035.

Keystone East
Harrisburg Central - Future : Red Rose Commuter Rail ends/starts , Streetcar?
Harrisburg International Airport
Middletown
Elizabethtown
Mt. Joy
Landisville
Lancaster - Future : Red Rose Commuter Rail ends/starts , streetcar?
Smoketown
Gap
Atglen

Parkersburg - Septa Service Restored to Parks
Coatesville
Thorndale
Downingtown
Whitford
Exton
Malvern
Paoli , future Greenline LRT
Daylesford
Berwyn
Devon
Strafford
Wayne
St. Davids
Radnor
Villanova
Rosemont
Bryn Mawr
Haverford
Ardmore
Wynnewood
Narberth
Merion
Overbrook , connecting trolley services
West Philadelphia , connecting trolley services
30th Street Station
Suburban Station
Market East Station

Keystone Express
Harrisburg Central
Harrisburg International Airport
Lancaster
Coatesville
Paoli
West Philadelphia
30th Street Station
North Philadelphia
Trenton
Newark Liberty Airport
Newark Penn Station
New York
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania