U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2007, 09:13 PM

50 posts, read 161,053 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are possibly moving to Pennsylvania from Texas in the next year. we are looking for a neighborhood that is within 30min from any major city, but has a suburban atmosphere. We will be having kids in the near future and want a neighborhood that has low crime, great schools, and homes in the 175-250K price range.

Any suggestions???
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2007, 09:25 PM

31,773 posts, read 72,912,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhc0607 View Post
My husband and I are possibly moving to Pennsylvania from Texas in the next year. we are looking for a neighborhood that is within 30min from any major city, but has a suburban atmosphere. We will be having kids in the near future and want a neighborhood that has low crime, great schools, and homes in the 175-250K price range.

Any suggestions???
I immediately thought of Clarks Summit, PA, which is an upper-middle-class suburban area about ten minutes northwest of Scranton, PA (pop. 72,000). The Abington Heights School District in Clarks Summit has been ranked in the past as one of the top 100 public school districts in the nation. The town proper of Clarks Summit has a small downtown area with a few restaurants, a diner, an organic foods market, gift shops, a hardware store, and a few other mom-and-pops. All of the chain retailers you could imagine are ten minutes east in Dickson City, PA. Crime is nearly non-existent in Greater Clarks Summit (which is known locally as "The Abingtons.")

The Back Mountain area of Luzerne County also comes to mind. This upper-middle-class suburban area of about 32,000 residents is located roughly ten minutes northwest of Wilkes-Barre (pop. 42,000) and 30-minutes away from Scranton. The Dallas School District is also highly-rated. Crime is very low in the Back Mountain as well (although slightly higher than the Abingtons since about 10,000 more people live here).

Finally, Mountain Top, PA is home to the Crestwood School District and is a growing suburban area midway between Wilkes-Barre, PA and Hazleton, PA.

Old 10-10-2007, 10:01 PM

713 posts, read 1,782,126 times
Just make sure you have a job lined up before you get here. The economy is kind of sluggish compared to the rest of the U.S.

Old 10-11-2007, 04:34 AM

1,032 posts, read 4,094,546 times
Mountaintop, PA - right outside Wilkes-Barre is very nice and the Crestwood school district is one of the best in the area. There are lots of transplants in Mountaintop so you would make friends easily.

Good luck!

Old 10-11-2007, 04:45 AM

1,565 posts, read 4,117,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpoeppel View Post
Just make sure you have a job lined up before you get here. The economy is kind of sluggish compared to the rest of the U.S.
Depends on where you go.

Old 10-11-2007, 11:39 AM

Is Scranton a nice city(crime, cleanliness??) I am finishing my degree in Texas to become a teacher so that is the career I will be in. Thanks for the info!!

Old 10-11-2007, 11:41 AM

also looking at Dunmore, is it nice??

Old 10-11-2007, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Is Scranton a nice city(crime, cleanliness??) I am finishing my degree in Texas to become a teacher so that is the career I will be in. Thanks for the info!!
Scranton was amongst the wealthiest cities in the nation during the Industrial Revolution and then went "KABLOOEY" for several decades after the collapse of the mining industry. In the mid-1990s Scranton finally hit rock bottom when a national publication ranked it as the runner-up for the nefarious title of "Armpit of America." I can recall visiting Scranton in the early-1990s as a small child and being frightened by its grimy appearance. To most it seemed as if the Electric City didn't have a change of salvation.

Now in 2007 things have changed drastically. The city is rebounding greatly with a lot of new stores, restaurants, art galleries, etc. sprouting up throughout the downtown area. Crime is minimal; there's been only one murder in the past several years, and that was one homeless man fighting with another homeless man, so it wasn't just at random. The city still has a blue-collar feel to it, but things are beginning to look up. "The Office" on NBC has helped to draw a lot of positive national attention to our city; you can watch Scranton on the Today Show on Friday, October 26 of this year when Al Roker will be there live broadcasting from the first annual "The Office" Convention, which is expected to draw up to 100,000 people to the region. I wouldn't say Scranton is a "great" city as it has its fair share of problems, such as a high wage tax (3.4%), potholes, and inept politicians, but overall the change between 1997 and 2007 in the city is remarkable. The city's population continues to decline (now at about 72,000 from a peak of 150,000), but that's now mostly just due to urban sprawl---people are leaving Scranton just to get more elbow room out in the suburbs, not because they abhor the city.

I'll caution you though that the Scranton Area has a very tight market for public school teachers. If you want to live in Northeastern Pennsylvania, you'll have a great chance of landing a teaching position in the nearby Pocono Mountains, where school districts are hiring swaths of new teachers every year (about 30-40 minutes southeast of Scranton). As such, another good suburban area for you to consider would be the Moscow/North Pocono area, which is about 15 minutes south of Scranton and roughly 20-25 minutes northwest of the Poconos. Moscow is home to the highly-acclaimed North Pocono School District, and it isn't far from conveniences. In light of your career choice as a teaceher, I'd steer you closer to these high-growth school districts in Monroe County (although I wouldn't recommend you cross the county line for residency, as the quality-of-life in that part of the Poconos is starting to tumble). A good thing about the Moscow area though is that you'll be just under two hours from New York City for fun day-trips, and just over two hours from Philadelphia.

Old 10-11-2007, 12:14 PM

Quote:
also looking at Dunmore, is it nice??
Dunmore is an inner suburb of Scranton (I believe it was the city's first "streetcar suburb"). The town is tranquil and safe and has varying neighborhoods that are mostly blue-collar and middle-class in nature with a historic upper-middle-class, white-collar neighborhood called "Hollywood" adjacent to Marywood University. There are a lot of tree-lined streets here. Most of the lots in town are about 50' wide x 150' deep or so, so if you want a bit of elbow room there aren't many options in the town proper of Dunmore (the newer subdivisions in Dunmore such as Mt. Margaret Estates and Swinick will probably be out of your price range as a newbie teacher starting out at around $35,000 per year in our area). I've also heard mixed reviews about the Dunmore School District, but you're close to great Catholic and private schools. Dunmore is on my agenda for an upcoming photo tour once a major street paving project in its downtown is completed, so stay tuned.

Old 10-12-2007, 06:35 AM

26 posts, read 75,564 times
The Pocono Mountain School District is exploding with growth. The suburban type areas close to this would probably be Blakeslee or even a private lake community like Arrowhead Lakes has a lot of kids for the suburban feeling but still off into the sticks for that mountain feeling. Also Mountaintop and Sugarloaf are nice areas west of Pocono with good schools and the Effort area with the Pleasant Valley Schools. Also Jim Thorpe is a growing area and the houses are still fairly affordable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>