Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2012, 07:13 AM

2 posts, read 6,822 times

Advertisements

Thanks for everyone's suggestions. We will be going to check out the Lehigh valley and probably the Harrisburg, Lancaster, and reading areas in early April. I'm sure snow will be a shock to us and I would love a chance to visit earlier to actually see snow but that isn't in our budget at the moment. There are many reasons we want to leave Florida. The schools are horrible, the summers unbearable, there are no good jobs they are mostly hospitality of some sort as no one will leave the good office positions they have already. I will never be able to move up in my career if I don't get that opportunity. I haven't actually considered Colorado because that is even further away from our family and I thought there would be more snow but maybe I will check that state out as well. Florida doesn't have much to do other than theme parks and beaches, our museums are horrible. We want to give our kids the chance to experience new things instead of just living in one area their whole life. The worst part for us would be leaving both sides of our family here but it is something we are seriously considering just to get out of this horrible state. Btw, if you want a decent house that isn't a piece of crap and is in a good area the prices are outrageous, especially when the wages around here are so low. We would never be able to afford a decent house here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2012, 06:00 PM

1,193 posts, read 2,390,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHFS2012 View Post
Thanks for everyone's suggestions. We will be going to check out the Lehigh valley and probably the Harrisburg, Lancaster, and reading areas in early April. I'm sure snow will be a shock to us and I would love a chance to visit earlier to actually see snow but that isn't in our budget at the moment. There are many reasons we want to leave Florida. The schools are horrible, the summers unbearable, there are no good jobs they are mostly hospitality of some sort as no one will leave the good office positions they have already. I will never be able to move up in my career if I don't get that opportunity. I haven't actually considered Colorado because that is even further away from our family and I thought there would be more snow but maybe I will check that state out as well. Florida doesn't have much to do other than theme parks and beaches, our museums are horrible. We want to give our kids the chance to experience new things instead of just living in one area their whole life. The worst part for us would be leaving both sides of our family here but it is something we are seriously considering just to get out of this horrible state. Btw, if you want a decent house that isn't a piece of crap and is in a good area the prices are outrageous, especially when the wages around here are so low. We would never be able to afford a decent house here.
I spent my teen years and 20s in central Florida and agree you'll probably like it up here better. Lehigh Valley in early April might still have snow -- be warned

Good luck!

Old 12-05-2012, 02:51 PM

1,198 posts, read 1,625,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHFS2012 View Post
Hi IHFS 2012,

I actually live in NJ, not PA, but I did want to share something after reading your posts here. I lived in Orlando for a year back in 1998. I acknowledge that a year is not a long time but I definitely saw some differences between the two.

One thing that you may have to get used to if you move to an area that is close to a city in the NE is the pace, it's definitely different than in Orlando.

I love the 4 seasons, I love the outdoors and I have two sons who I do outdoor activities with all of the time. You will find a lot more to do here than in Florida, I believe, but I think that you will be doing most of it in 3 seasons instead of 4, because winters here do bring a slower pace and less activity. I always feel that winter is a great time to catch up on reading, hitting the gym, spending time at home, etc, but I limit my time outdoors (unless of course you are a skier or snowboarder, etc).

I think that you and the kids will love your first autumn here. Outdoor walks at the peak of autumn are indescribably beautiful, along with the pumpkin picking and harvest fairs, etc.

To be honest, I didn't like Florida. Again I acknowledge that it was only a year, but I found that it was an unusual vibe and one that I had trouble getting used to. I'm happy to be home to stay. Hope you love it here.

Old 12-05-2012, 03:34 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,819,013 times
it's yet to snow in Philadelphia and yesterday was 60

Old 12-05-2012, 05:18 PM

932 posts, read 1,944,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
it's yet to snow in Philadelphia and yesterday was 60
You didn't get ANY snow last Tuesday? Also, today it was 45 and windy.

Old 12-05-2012, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTA88 View Post
None.

Old 12-05-2012, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTA88 View Post
Actually it was in the mid 50s in philly though its headed in that direction

Old 12-06-2012, 01:18 PM

Location: Just East of the Southern Portion of the Western Part of PA
1,272 posts, read 3,707,644 times
4 seasons (none of which are extreme), skiing, mountain biking, white water rafting, mountains, hunting, fishing, big cites, small country towns, improving economy including a booming natural gas industry, low cost of living in many areas, great universities, close proximity to major NE cities, forests, fall foliage, covered bridges, loads of history, friendly people....

Just doesn't seem like there are many good reasons to live in Pennsylvania.

Old 12-08-2012, 10:15 AM

6,327 posts, read 9,153,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrk View Post
Four seasons are highly overrated. Especially coming from central FL. Actually, several of my friends have moved to the Orlando area, and apparently all have been amazed that the summers aren't actually that much worse at all. If it's 103 in Orlando, it's probably going to be 101 back home in western PA.

Then of course winters are a foot or two of snow, ice everywhere, and extremely poor roads. Plus hills. If you end up living here, you're going to want to arrive before winter and learn all the school bus routes, so you can follow those to work in the winter. They plow and salt the school bus routes before any other roads.

Sometimes I think the Fahrenheit scale is based on the weather here. Low of 0 and a high of 100 degrees is a very typical year.

On the other hand, moving north is probably an excellent idea for your careers. From what I've seen, an associate's degree is nearly worthless in Florida and most of the south, while around here, an associate's basically doubles your starting wage. That's an AAS in an engineering field, though. And that's if you can find work.

The economy here (Pittsburgh area) is pretty bad. But property values and cost of living are really low, too. You can get by on two minimum wage jobs, as long as you clip coupons and don't buy stuff you don't need. Depending on the area, you could even realistically own your own house in a few years, on two minimum wage jobs. I've seen reasonably livable, small two-story houses for under $10,000 occasionally, and around $20-$30,000 much more regularly.

Most of the colleges here are also more than happy to work with people that already have an associate's, and want to get another degree with as few redundant classes as possible.

Most of the available jobs around around Pittsburgh are going to be factory work, paying around $8 to $11 an hour, depending on the place. No/minimal qualifications though, and two such jobs are enough to get by as long as you're careful.
wow talk about being a drama queen and over exaggerating.

Old 12-08-2012, 10:41 AM

5,722 posts, read 5,799,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrk View Post

Most of the available jobs around around Pittsburgh are going to be factory work, paying around $8 to $11 an hour, depending on the place. No/minimal qualifications though, and two such jobs are enough to get by as long as you're careful.
I don't get where you get your info you must be new to the area. UPMC employs thousands of people alone how is that factory work?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania