Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2012, 04:01 PM

1 posts, read 1,116 times

Advertisements

i'm Buying a duplex that is rented on both sides.. I'm letting the one side stay and moving into the other side.. The side leaving signed a new lease (for the apt they are moving into) already and is moving out soon.. My question is the side that is staying.. What do i have to give them in writing? as far as the deposit they put down with the current owner (that will be transferred to me at closing) and also do i have to inform them in writing of where to send the rent once i close? just not sure what my legal obligations are.. Or if i can verbally tell them where the deposit is being held and where to send the rent.. They are on a month to month lease with the current owner and i was just going to leave it that way until spring ( i dont want to sign a new lease with them now and have it end this time next year, seems like it would be harder to get it rented if they decided to leave)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2012, 07:51 AM

1,518 posts, read 6,692,770 times
It's always best to get things in writing, signed by both parties, with a copy given to each party. Just write down your expectations, info on deposit and where to send rent checks, sign it, have them sign it, and give them a copy and keep a copy for yourself. Don't forget to date it too.

Old 12-05-2012, 01:21 AM

2,095 posts, read 3,102,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by codedev View Post
i'm Buying a duplex that is rented on both sides.. I'm letting the one side stay and moving into the other side.. The side leaving signed a new lease (for the apt they are moving into) already and is moving out soon.. My question is the side that is staying.. What do i have to give them in writing? as far as the deposit they put down with the current owner (that will be transferred to me at closing) and also do i have to inform them in writing of where to send the rent once i close? just not sure what my legal obligations are.. Or if i can verbally tell them where the deposit is being held and where to send the rent.. They are on a month to month lease with the current owner and i was just going to leave it that way until spring ( i dont want to sign a new lease with them now and have it end this time next year, seems like it would be harder to get it rented if they decided to leave)
You need to consult an attorney to make sure that your Ts are crossed and your Is are dotted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania