U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2006, 11:38 AM

10 posts, read 25,517 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I am currently looking for any info on the area around Lewistown. I hope someone can give me any info possible there. My husband just started a job in Carlisle, and he is suppossed to be within 50 miles of there. So any other input to any other areas in that location would be helpful. We would be coming from PHX, AZ. And yes, I would be missing the warm winter here. I am from a mountain area here in AZ, and we previously lived in NW Missouri for 10 years. (Hot humid summers, Cold , snowy winters). So snow is not anything new. Want to know about the schools, (a daughter in 10th grade) shopping, restaurants, crime rate, cost of living, housing, etc.

Thanks in advance
Cheerioben
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2006, 06:18 AM

203 posts, read 1,212,652 times
Default lewistown

it is a nice area. ild live there.

Old 10-03-2006, 11:33 PM

10 posts, read 25,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboredcart View Post
it is a nice area. ild live there.
Thanks for the info, If I have to choose between Carlisle and Lewiston; which is the better??

Thanks

Old 10-04-2006, 06:32 AM

lewistown is better. im biased as i like small town living. my best friend grew up in lewsistown- in the next year- he plans to retire there- as apposed to here, selinsgrove/sunbury.

IMP lewistown has a better quality of life. in some ways i like it there better then selinsgrove.

Old 11-20-2006, 12:09 AM

49 posts, read 223,260 times
If you move to Lewistown they are putting a new 4 lane in on Rt 322 to connect to the bypass to Harrisburg, which would cut down travel time considerably. As for mountains, you would be surrounded by them. Mifflin County School District has a web site, they cover Lewistown and Indian Valley Schools. Crime rate is a little high but no more so than a bigger town like Carlisle. You can walk down the streets and not get shot anyways. Housing is readily available, a lot of homes up for sale. They have a lot of new housing developments going in here in the Reedsville/Milroy area, which is only 12/15 miles from Lewistown on Rt 322. The area has Amish and Mennonites and Penn State University is just over the mountain, 24 miles. They also have an unit in Lewistown and the Career Link in Lewistown is very good to help find jobs. Also if you are in the nursing field they are always looking for help in that field. We go to Burnham or Lewistown for groceries at the Weis, Giant and Walmart. We have a small family owned store between Reedsville and Milroy that we like to shop at, great sales in evening on meats and also the Dollar General is in Milroy now and great buys there too. Instead of spending gas to go in town we get a lot of our incidentals there. There is a new motel here now and half a dozen factories in the Reedsville/Milroy area, also in Lewistown at the industrial parks. New bypass now to get there in minutes by bypassing Lewistown downtown. Burnham is also a nice town, I was raised there. A beautiful hardward store that has a wonderful gift selection. A YMCA, a little mall with JC Penny, a nice CVS drug store, top of the hill has a mall with K-Mart, a Sears store (just a small one) a a Giant store and a lot of the little stores most little malls have. the mountains are beautiful, there are state parks in the mountains, look-outs to visit and with State College and the PSU just over the mountain you are covered for more shops and malls. Plus there are Antique Malls and stores, in all the little towns, tons of crafts stores and Amish stores in Big Valley. Lots of activities go on with the schools, churches and towns. Townwide yard sales here are GREAT!!! And every town has a festival of some kind and fireworks in the summer. We have a nice hospital but if you are in a serious accident they usually transfer you to Geissinger in Danville or Hershey Medical Center in Hershey. They use a Life Lion. Hope this helps some.

Old 12-31-2006, 11:09 AM

39 posts, read 179,584 times
I am bias to Lewistown too.

Old 12-31-2006, 12:48 PM

I have spent more time in Lewistown. Even tho it is a small town- you can access world class cultural venues within a reasonable drive.

There is alot of money sunk into the infastructure of State College. Impressive. So- that is nearby.

The people of Lewistown are nice.

Carlisle is a suburban area. Metro harrisburg is a secret- 1 million people- and not bad priced per jobs and apartments. For a small city- IMO it is overlooked. You get decent bang for teh buck- compared to say- Baltimore, Philly, DC, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania