Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2007, 08:23 PM

233 posts, read 417,761 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking of moving into central PA somewhere. Anywhere around Altoona, or Williamsport, or maybe State College. But, I want to move out into the woods where there aren't many people, land is cheap, and crime isn't bad. I think State College might be a little too crowded and crazy for me. I don't do bars or clubs or anything, so the less of them the better for me. Does anyone know of a foresty area and have anything good or bad to say about it? I want to know the good places.....and the places to avoid.

(I work for the post office as a mailman. So, I don't have to worry about finding a job. I can transfer anywhere I want.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2007, 10:55 PM

48 posts, read 183,743 times
Huntingdon, Pa might be a good place to check out. I've heard some good things about it. If you aren't too particular on where your move is, and a little further northwest isn't out of the option, check out a place called Ridgway. It is really nice and welcoming. There aren't any chain restaurants or stores. It is very clean, and very nice. If that small isn't for you, St. Marys would be a good choice as well.
Good luck in your search!

Old 10-15-2007, 08:02 AM

2,309 posts, read 2,313,018 times
You can also check out Cambria County. Lots of land there and lots of woods and such.

Old 10-15-2007, 08:03 AM

2,309 posts, read 2,313,018 times
Oh, and having lived in Altoona-stay away! If you want something close to Altoona then check out Bellwood. It is about 15 minutes from Altoona so you have access to stuff but it is in a better school district AND you can get some land and it is just really nice there.

Old 10-15-2007, 02:00 PM

1,518 posts, read 6,691,335 times
Just north of Williamsport (actually north of Montoursville on Route 87) along the Loyalsock Creek are several areas that are wooded and rather remote. You could also check out the area around Rose Valley Lake, also north of Montoursville and Williamsport.

If you'd like to go a birth further south, west of Mifflinburg along Route 45 you'll find Laurelton, which has many wooded areas, or west of Mifflinburg along Route 192 is the R. B. Winter State Park, with some houses available around the fringes.

Be careful where you move to. Even though you work for the USPS you can only transfer if there is an opening, and many of the smaller rural communities don't have much of a turnover. Of course, if you're thinking of living in the smaller community and working in the larger city areas (like Williamsport, State College or Altoona) then that might be a different story.

Best wishes!

Old 06-05-2008, 04:17 PM

189 posts, read 704,707 times
You should try outside State College in Penns Valley, just east of SC or Bald Eagle, north of SC. Rural areas were you can live in the peace and quiet. Don't cross State College off the list. Even though it is a college town, it is a small, friendly community and there is sooo much more there than bars! Centre County has world class fishing and hunting. Check it out! LOOK FOR HOUSES AND LAND: happyvalleyhomes.com.

Old 06-08-2008, 07:36 PM

4,725 posts, read 10,132,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawne View Post
Just north of Williamsport (actually north of Montoursville on Route 87) along the Loyalsock Creek are several areas that are wooded and rather remote. You could also check out the area around Rose Valley Lake, also north of Montoursville and Williamsport.

If you'd like to go a birth further south, west of Mifflinburg along Route 45 you'll find Laurelton, which has many wooded areas, or west of Mifflinburg along Route 192 is the R. B. Winter State Park, with some houses available around the fringes.

Be careful where you move to. Even though you work for the USPS you can only transfer if there is an opening, and many of the smaller rural communities don't have much of a turnover. Of course, if you're thinking of living in the smaller community and working in the larger city areas (like Williamsport, State College or Altoona) then that might be a different story.

Best wishes!
These are very good suggestions for someone who wishes to be out in the wooded lands with some peace and serenity, but still close enough to the cities for those necessary conveniences.

Also, up Rte. 15 north of Williamsport, you will find Cogan Station and another 10 miles or so Trout Run. Both very rural and safe areas with lots of mountains and woods, but still close enough to Williamsport to have good medical care and shopping.

There are lots of isolated areas around Lock Haven, as well. That is between Williamsport and State College, and also a college town (as is Williamsport).

College and university towns are wonderful places to live "near". You have so many cultural and sports events that you can attend, yet be removed from all of the busy hussle-bustle of the college itself by living 10 miles out from the city.

I hope you find a nice spot to call home. I dearly miss PA, but hope to get a little bit closer soon.

Old 06-10-2008, 02:58 PM

186 posts, read 549,336 times
Stay east of the mountain range. it's like night and day. I have to drive 25 to get to a walmart. My neighbor has goats about 30 of the suckers. He stores them in his basement. I always say central PA is like going back in time 20 years. Good luck. I travel for work as well.

Old 12-11-2008, 04:50 PM

1 posts, read 3,525 times
Default My big move

I am also interested in moving to a somewhat rural area. I do like being close to a wal-mart and maybe a mall conveniently located mall. I would love some peace and quiet, with no bars or racial problems. I want to be able to peace, without the threat of someone breaking into my front door, stealing my car or loud hip hop music blasting until late hours. I have a small yorkie and would like to move into an area where I can take him for long walks not on the street, but in a semi-wooded area. I am also interested in moving into an apartment that is reasonable, nice and. In a year or so I would be interested in purchasing a house in that area, if the houses are reasonably priced. So, which central pa areas do you suggest?. I am making a list and would like to check out as many areas as possible before making a final decision. Last but not lease, is there bus service in any of the areas, just in case my car breakes down. I would love to live close to a super wal-mart, supermarket or a mall.

Old 12-11-2008, 07:09 PM

148 posts, read 637,594 times
Do you need to find a job? The other people posted some nice suggestions but finding a professional job in rural areas is out of the question. I have family in Lewisburg and I like the area but I could never find a job up there that matches my qualifications. Northern York County (Lewisberry, Etters) and Monroe Township in Cumberland County have some really attractive areas, good school systems, and rural settings. They are also close to Harrisburg/Camp Hill/Mechanisburg which have corporate jobs and some Fortune 500 headquarters including Rite Aid, Harsco, Tyco Electronics, Select Medical, and Hershey
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania