Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2012, 12:01 PM

10,220 posts, read 16,734,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
I just want to know what study you are citing.
the most recent study penndot commissioned, AFAIK, they have not publicly released it despite promising it would be available last winter. PennDOT selected not to pursue that option, sadly, since it would have made for an intriguing 3P
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2012, 05:44 PM

32,606 posts, read 77,287,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
In some communities, it's the only game in town!
Yep. That's because the idiotic townspeople and elected officials likely begged (and bribed) Wal-Mart to open to bring all of their "great jobs", and then Wal-Mart killed off the traditional business districts in these same communities through predatory pricing tactics before raising their prices accordingly once competition was eliminated. Pardon me for not thinking very highly of Wal-Mart. At least other retailers like Target and Lowe's can treat their employees with dignity and respect while still offering competitive pricing to consumers.

Old 12-19-2012, 08:07 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,219,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Yep. That's because the idiotic townspeople and elected officials likely begged (and bribed) Wal-Mart to open to bring all of their "great jobs", and then Wal-Mart killed off the traditional business districts in these same communities through predatory pricing tactics before raising their prices accordingly once competition was eliminated. Pardon me for not thinking very highly of Wal-Mart. At least other retailers like Target and Lowe's can treat their employees with dignity and respect while still offering competitive pricing to consumers.
That's the meme, however, it's not really true. By the time Walmart came to our area in Lafayette, CO, there was no more downtown Lafayette to speak of. Their prices are still pretty decent. Speaking of bribery, my city just gave away tons of incentives to an "organic" grocery store.

Old 12-31-2012, 02:53 PM

3,520 posts, read 9,204,653 times
I'd combine Philadelphia with New York or Baltimore and Pittsburgh with Cleveland before I'd combine Philadelphia and Pittsburgh together.

Old 12-31-2012, 03:54 PM

1,125 posts, read 2,336,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHIP72 View Post
I'd combine Philadelphia with New York or Baltimore and Pittsburgh with Cleveland before I'd combine Philadelphia and Pittsburgh together.
Care to elaborate?

Old 01-05-2013, 02:47 PM

4,454 posts, read 3,983,679 times
I'd say just put pittsburgh in south philly, it's used to river fronts. Put Wilmington in south west philly. Baltimore can merge with Washington DC. Then the high speed rail to link NYC. Make sure to bring over Pittsburgh's bridges too... Maybe there is some hope for camden. I guess put the mountains around king of prussia and turn it into a ski resort town?

Old 01-05-2013, 03:45 PM

932 posts, read 1,933,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNigh View Post
I'd say just put pittsburgh in south philly, it's used to river fronts. Put Wilmington in south west philly. Baltimore can merge with Washington DC. Then the high speed rail to link NYC. Make sure to bring over Pittsburgh's bridges too... Maybe there is some hope for camden. I guess put the mountains around king of prussia and turn it into a ski resort town?
Well I'm not keen on making KoP mountainous. The only hope for Camden is if NJ gives PA money to take it. Jersey's turned its back on Camden because Camden suffers from not being in North Jersey, and is therefore unimportant to the state. You ever notice people from North Jersey say they are from "New Jersey" while people from South Jersey say they are from "South Jersey"? There have been numerous secession movements to split the state, but so far they've all failed by a slim margin.

Old 01-05-2013, 03:56 PM

4,454 posts, read 3,983,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTA88 View Post
Well I'm not keen on making KoP mountainous. The only hope for Camden is if NJ gives PA money to take it. Jersey's turned its back on Camden because Camden suffers from not being in North Jersey, and is therefore unimportant to the state. You ever notice people from North Jersey say they are from "New Jersey" while people from South Jersey say they are from "South Jersey"? There have been numerous secession movements to split the state, but so far they've all failed by a slim margin.
New Jersey is disgusting, it just leaches off of NYC and Philadelphia. A secession would be awesome...

Old 01-12-2013, 08:27 AM

32,606 posts, read 77,287,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNigh View Post
New Jersey is disgusting, it just leaches off of NYC and Philadelphia. A secession would be awesome...
New Jersey accents are so sexy though!

Old 01-14-2013, 09:30 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,852,741 times
I would move Philadelphia to Pittsburgh's location, while making sure it keeps it's Hub status and add HSR to NYC, DC and Chicago

This would make Philadelphia/Pittsburgh the ultimate Capitol City over a large swath of land, it would be the true Nexus city between Chicago and East Coast. It would overshadow a lot of the Ohio Cities....A CBD of Center City's strong Neighborhood Culture element combined with Downtown's strong Job Density. No Question Philadelphia/Pittsburgh in Pittsburgh's location would make it a strong Alpha City.

Look at how convenient it would be to:

NYC
DC
Chicago

(Those 3 cities alone would make it attractive place for Business) Then you'd have

Ohio 3'Cs
Detroit
Indy
Buffalo
Toronto
Syracuse
Rochester
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania