Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2007, 06:58 PM

23 posts, read 86,038 times

Advertisements

We currently live in FL. We're definitely planning to leave the state.

We'd like

1 - Change of seasons - snow & cold is ok...we dislike the heat

2 - Good schools (kids are 5 and 2, so this is obviously important)

3 - Safe (low crime) environment

4 - Preferably a place with outdoor activities. We love hiking, swimming, just being outside. We don't do much of it in FL because of the unbearable heat.

5 - Decent job prospects....I'm a CPA working in real estate business and hubby is in real estate sales

6 - A sense of community, family-friendly place where family is priority to most, friendly people.

7 - Fairly easy commute (or better than I have now which is 45 min one way on a good day)

That's about it....any suggestions? Should PA be on my list? I'm originally from NY and hubby is from Pittsburgh, but we've both been in FL since we were young.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2007, 07:36 PM

402 posts, read 2,211,117 times
What sized town are you thinking of? We just moved from rural NC to State College, PA (home of Penn State). I can't even begin to say how happy we are of our choice!!! Fantastic schools, LOTs of outdoor activities, good economy. Can't say how prospect for CPA is, probably depends on what you do; real estate is BOOMING. 3-4 times a week I'll go on a 1 hr (or more!) hike before I pick up my young children....and only 10 minutes from work. It's awesome!!!

Old 05-31-2007, 08:05 PM

50 posts, read 323,660 times
Default are you considering pittsburgh?

Just curious since your husband's from there and some of us trolling this forum are interested in maybe moving there ourselves.

Old 05-31-2007, 08:07 PM

50 posts, read 323,660 times
Default whoops

just saw you're in real-estate, and of course what's good for me about Pittburgh (like a cheap house) isn't good news to you!

Old 05-31-2007, 08:20 PM

43 posts, read 177,635 times
PA is a big state, with many great towns/areas to live, but you'll need to narrow your search otherwise you could get responses from all over the state.
As a native PA person, I've lived in the Phila area my whole life and love it. There are some great towns within a 1/2 hour drive to Philly but you feel like you're in the country. Do you want to live within relative proximity to Pittsburgh or Philadelphia? That would help answer your question more clearly.

Old 05-31-2007, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skivino View Post
PA is a big state, with many great towns/areas to live, but you'll need to narrow your search otherwise you could get responses from all over the state.
As a native PA person, I've lived in the Phila area my whole life and love it. There are some great towns within a 1/2 hour drive to Philly but you feel like you're in the country. Do you want to live within relative proximity to Pittsburgh or Philadelphia? That would help answer your question more clearly.
We don't necessarily need to be close to a major city, but convenience to shopping is a must. We're not really 'big city' people...not into hustle/bustle & sometimes crime that goes along with it. We'd love a country feel, or at least a little more room to roam than your typical homesite, say 1/2 acre or more. As long as there is a decent sized mall/shopping centers conveniently located, we'd actually prefer not to have to drive to a major city to shop. But then, I really do not know Pittsburgh or Philadelphia, and hubby left Pittsburgh when he was very young, so I don't think he remembers well enough to rely on his memory. The only cities I have experience with to compare to are Miami and Atlanta, neither of which I care to visit unless I have to. Hope that helps a bit. We really are pretty much open as to location if it meets our criteria.

Old 05-31-2007, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYmama View Post
Just curious since your husband's from there and some of us trolling this forum are interested in maybe moving there ourselves.

Everything is open at this point....hubby left when he was very young, so I don't think he really remembers much. He lived in Greentree and also in Penn Hills.

Old 05-31-2007, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vetegnc View Post
What sized town are you thinking of? We just moved from rural NC to State College, PA (home of Penn State). I can't even begin to say how happy we are of our choice!!! Fantastic schools, LOTs of outdoor activities, good economy. Can't say how prospect for CPA is, probably depends on what you do; real estate is BOOMING. 3-4 times a week I'll go on a 1 hr (or more!) hike before I pick up my young children....and only 10 minutes from work. It's awesome!!!
I'll have to check it out...thanks! I'm not really interested in working for a CPA firm...I'd rather work for a business in a controller type position. I currently work in the real estate industry as a controller for a private company, so that sounds promising.

Old 05-31-2007, 11:50 PM

460 posts, read 2,422,105 times
Southern Chester County is for you. It's calm here and schools are good. You can shop in tax free Delaware. Its an hour to Baltimore or Philly. This place is just beginning here and real estate is hot with sewer permits on hold for a while. Amish country is a half hour ride.
I live in a nice family development. These are some of the friendliest neighbors I have ever had.
My neighbors always lend a hand and help each other out. I know amazing right? Send me a PM and I will answer any questions you may have.

Old 06-01-2007, 05:21 AM

991 posts, read 4,618,488 times
what towns are included in Chester county and what asre the home prices like?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania