U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2006, 03:12 PM

5 posts, read 21,552 times

Advertisements

My husband just started a job in Owings Mills, MD. We're looking for a home, and were thinking about Southern PA or somewhere in MD (a city that would allow my husband's commute to be an hour or less). Our limit is approx $250,000 for housing. We were hoping to find something w/4 beds, 2 baths, and a 2 car garage, but are finding that that is nearly impossible for either state. So, we're revising our criteria and need some HELP!!!! What are the advantages of PA vs MD? Taxes, schools (we have a 7 month old), shopping, quality of living differences? And, since we're not too familiar with townhomes or duplexes here in MI, what are the advantages/disadvantages of those? Can you hear the other families through walls? Is resale value as good? We are so overwhelmed with the options that any advice would help. THANKS!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2006, 09:14 PM

1 posts, read 4,783 times
My wife and I are moving into Dover, PA in December. We really like the area since it's very calm and quiet. There are a few development projects going on in the area so the property values are going to go up. Dover seems to be the promising area to live right now plus it's only an hour of commute time to MD. Currenly there are a lot of people from MD that are moving up to Dover so we're sure that the area will soon be more diverse and interesting. If you are looking for a place where property values are affordable but will go up and is very familiy oriented, we recommend Dover.

Old 11-08-2006, 06:40 AM

1 posts, read 4,660 times
Default PA vs MD, single vs townhome vs duplex..?!

The whole idea of moving to southern PA and commuting to and from the Baltimore area in under an hour is quickly becoming a fantasy. There are SO many people that do it, and I-83 is only so big. You will no doubt be able to find a home in southern PA for cheaper, however you have to look at the total cost, which includes gas (it will not stay at $2.10 for ever), wear and tear on the vehicle, and insurance. There are many benefits to Maryland. I highly recommend living near Owings Mills or even in Baltimore City. Baltimore as a whole gets a bad rap even though crime is fairly contained to certain areas and decreases every year. I live on the west side of the city and have had no problems, even though the west side is pretty **** bad. I believe there is a light rail to Owings Mills, not to mention plenty of cheap housing in the area, you just have to look. You should actually take a drive around Baltimore city sometime and check out some of the nicer neighborhoods on the north side, I think you will be pleasantly surprised - they have low crime, good schools, and the yards are way bigger than one you will get with a townhouse or even the new single family homes they are building lately (I am a surveyor, so I work on these jobs every week).

Old 11-08-2006, 07:35 AM

179 posts, read 1,031,324 times
townhomes in my opion are a bad move, some of the assosiations are run poorly so you must be involved or they waste your money. plus they have a lot of rules and regs that no one ever reads before buying the place. I know I'm a realtor. Twins or dups as you call them are nice but sometimes you can hear your neighbor, and the big key is your neighbor. Meet them before buying a twin you will have to work with them to get things done on occasion. I have a brother who lives in havre de grace, MD and he loves it, he commutes down to the balt area regularly, but there is no doubt that traffic is horrible!!

Old 01-08-2007, 12:07 PM

5 posts, read 36,578 times
My husband and I are moving to Dover, PA. I work in Maryland and yes the commute will be a bit long, but if you want do not want to be house poor, then some of the sacrifices you have to make is to commute.Dover, PA has some new developments coming up and pretty soon it will be very developped and equity will be high. Many Marylanders are moving there and most of them work in Baltimore Metro area. With that influx of Marylanders there will be several options of commute. So if you do not want to be house poor and at the same time live in a beautiful spacious home your best bet is York or Dover, PA.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rod&reba View Post
My husband just started a job in Owings Mills, MD. We're looking for a home, and were thinking about Southern PA or somewhere in MD (a city that would allow my husband's commute to be an hour or less). Our limit is approx $250,000 for housing. We were hoping to find something w/4 beds, 2 baths, and a 2 car garage, but are finding that that is nearly impossible for either state. So, we're revising our criteria and need some HELP!!!! What are the advantages of PA vs MD? Taxes, schools (we have a 7 month old), shopping, quality of living differences? And, since we're not too familiar with townhomes or duplexes here in MI, what are the advantages/disadvantages of those? Can you hear the other families through walls? Is resale value as good? We are so overwhelmed with the options that any advice would help. THANKS!

Old 01-08-2007, 12:10 PM

5 posts, read 36,578 times
My husband and I are moving to Dover, PA. I work in Maryland and yes the commute will be a bit long, but if you want do not want to be house poor, then some of the sacrifices you have to make is to commute.Dover, PA has some new developments coming up and pretty soon it will be very developped and equity will be high. Many Marylanders are moving there and most of them work in Baltimore Metro area. With that influx of Marylanders there will be several options of commute. So if you do not want to be house poor and at the same time live in a beautiful spacious home your best bet is York or Dover, PA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania