Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Residents of Pennsylvania, do you support Gov. Tom Corbett's lawsuit against the NCAA?
Yes 15 27.27%
No 40 72.73%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2013, 03:36 PM

5,725 posts, read 11,713,551 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by colorfulchic83 View Post
You clearly missed the point of why people say Pa is like Alabama or call it Penntucky.
Kentucky, Alabama, and Pa(outside Philly & Lehigh Valley), are pretty much the same thing. Mainly backwoods, redneck mentality, with a great deal of residents being bigots/racists who are uneducated and left back a few decades. I'm talking severe racism.
Yes, those bigots mainly take narrow stereotypes and apply them to large swaths of the population. Shame on them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2013, 03:52 PM

908 posts, read 1,555,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
There is certain areas in the city I'm unlikely to make out of alive because of my color if I were walking down the street. Racism exists amongst all the races and that is just a fact. People like yourself are part of the problem.

Don;t misinterpret support for the University or Paterno as support for Sandusky. Sandusky would be found hanging from a tree if many of those supporters had their way.

Having a confederate flag or expressing your belief in white power however misguided it may be is not a hate crime.
I never said racism is only from whites. My family and I condemn it when ALL people do it, but we know who gets away with it more. Either way we don't allow racist/xenophobes in our lives. Don't misinterpret acknowledging that this place is racist, as me thinking other ethnic groups can't be. At least when I call black people on it they don't deny it. Sorry, if you experienced some racist idiots, but it doesn't negate the fact that there is grave hatred here. I'm not the reason it occurs, hate is. As for the confederate flag, I didn't call it a hate crime. I was referring to killings,shootings, and beatings that went on in NEPA.

Old 01-09-2013, 04:16 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,039,086 times
Quote:
I was referring to killings,shootings, and beatings that went on in NEPA.
I certainly see a lot on incidents in the paper about black on blacks shooting and beating each other usually followed by "from New York" or "Recently Move here from Philadelphia". Those incidents are way put of proportion to the population of blacks living here. While I'm sure it exists I don't recall seeing an epidemic of white on black violence that is racially motivated.

Should I take the time to go through the citizens voice for the murders in 2012 and then we'll compare to the population stats?

Old 01-10-2013, 08:15 AM

That's just it, it goes on, but there is hardly any media coverage. This proves that the area has racism even in government. You keep trying to justify or minimize it, so there is no use in trying to argue with someone who is one-sided. Good day!

Old 01-10-2013, 02:26 PM

Quote:
That's just it, it goes on, but there is hardly any media coverage.
Generally speaking a machete wielding black kid chopping off the arm of another black kid is going to make the news.

Old 01-10-2013, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Generally speaking a machete wielding black kid chopping off the arm of another black kid is going to make the news.
So should a white supremacist shooting at a mixed couple as he shouts racial slurs, but it doesn't!

Old 01-10-2013, 03:02 PM

Quote:
So should a white supremacist shooting at a mixed couple as he shouts racial slurs, but it doesn't!
I would suggest looking up the history of the CV and then get back to me and tell me why you think they would be suppressing this news.

Old 01-10-2013, 06:34 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,318,192 times
Quote:
Firstly simetime they are going to get rid of all of the bloat and unnecessary people employed by the lottery. A private company is there to make profit instead of expanding the bureaucracy. Any company doing this is going to have an established busines with professionals such as marketing etc. They will already have the assets in place. Their expenses will be far less than the states.
Pennsylvania Lottery - PA Lottery Benefits

The lottery had 3.4 billion in sales, 2.1 cents on the dollar is 71 million dollars. That's not chump change.

Hmm, interesting so with the selling of the lottery the unemployment will go up in the state as well. My question is this, if the lottery is not doing bad now why sell in the first place? One of the reasons that the lottery does not do as well as it should is because of the stores that sells tickets. When I was in Georgia you can buy tickets anytime of the night and cash them in (up to a certain amount), but in Pa you can buy tickets up to a certain time of day (usually 9p) and many stores will not cash your winning tickets in regardless of the amount.

Old 01-10-2013, 06:43 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,318,192 times
Quote:
I certainly see a lot on incidents in the paper about black on blacks shooting and beating each other usually followed by "from New York" or "Recently Move here from Philadelphia". Those incidents are way put of proportion to the population of blacks living here. While I'm sure it exists I don't recall seeing an epidemic of white on black violence that is racially motivated.

Should I take the time to go through the citizens voice for the murders in 2012 and then we'll compare to the population stats?

Earlier in this post you mentioned the racism in the city of Philly. You were threatened as a whiteman in a certain part of the city, well imagine that going on in most of the state BY whites! I was in the Army National Guard in Ft Indiantown Gap where the flying of the south's beloved flag flew more than the state flag along with racial slurs from *sswipes in uniform. There was almost a full blown race war on a military post in 2001! Asks some of the blacks in Johnstown Pa if racism exist there as well (I have seen it myself), I can tell you the same thing in Uniontown, Washington Pa and outside/inside of Pittsburgh. So when you complain of one incident in one city in the whole state I can name at least three counties that discriminates against blacks and others.

Old 01-10-2013, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
Hmm, interesting so with the selling of the lottery the unemployment will go up in the state as well.
The state shouldn't be employing people just to employ them especially when it's at the expense of others. See the LCB for reference.
Quote:
One of the reasons that the lottery does not do as well as it should is because of the stores that sells tickets.
Those would be limitations set by the lottery.
Quote:
https://lottery-pa.custhelp.com/app/...ttery-games%3F
What are the hours for selling your lottery games? The Pennsylvania Lottery requests that its retailers sell Lottery tickets during the retailer’s regular store business hours when the system is operational (approximately 5 a.m to midnight, seven days a week).

Quote:
and many stores will not cash your winning tickets in regardless of the amount.
If they are selling tickets they should be required to cash them up to a reasonable amount . I'm doubting there is many places doing that other than large awards because it wouldn't be a very good business decision. Many of those playing will put the winnings right back into more tickets. I don't know what the regulations are but I believe anything over $500 has to be cashed by the lottery for tax purposes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania