Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2013, 03:19 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,811,894 times

Advertisements

so are the conservative, a proxy for user fees. in VA they're using a sales tax which has nothing to do with transportation
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2013, 10:41 PM

7,268 posts, read 10,585,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Corbett is a smart man, the liberals are getting exactly what they want. A tax on the evil oil companies.......... LOL As if the consumer won't pay it ultimately.
...And maybe if many conservatives weren't so shortsighted, they'd realize that public investments ARE economic development. Duh.

Old 02-08-2013, 10:44 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
...And maybe if many conservatives weren't so shortsighted, they'd realize that public investments ARE economic development. Duh.
I fully support the tax, duh! Of course if you had taken the time to read the second post in this topic instead of making ASSumptions you'd know that.

Old 02-08-2013, 10:49 PM

Quote:
I fully support the tax, duh!
Great, but I said many conservatives -- not all. My comment was honestly was not meant to be directed at you personally.

It's just that we all know there are plenty of tea partiers out there who will be pitching a fit about any increase in taxes. Our infrastructure could be reduced to rubble and they would still complain about increasing revenue through taxes to pay for public investments.

I'm just glad that Corbett finally had the gumption to put forward what looks like a realistic plan and not keep drinking the Grover Norquist Koolaid.

Old 02-08-2013, 10:56 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
I don't recall many conservatives complaining about taxes for infrastructure improvements especially when it's based on a user fee. I have seen a lot of complaints about things like the 13 guys I saw on road crew this fall filling craks in the road when about 5 or 6 of them could of did it.

Old 02-08-2013, 11:16 PM

Quote:
I don't recall many conservatives complaining about taxes for infrastructure improvements especially when it's based on a user fee. I have seen a lot of complaints about things like the 13 guys I saw on road crew this fall filling craks in the road when about 5 or 6 of them could of did it.
Nevertheless, I'm sure some of the more conservative state legislators will not look favorably upon the removal of the tax cap.

And yes, I too cringe at the sight of an overabundance of road construction workers, but it's hard to have oversight over such things, especially if they're contractors.

Old 02-09-2013, 06:42 AM

2,214 posts, read 5,090,351 times
Quote:
Great, but I said many conservatives -- not all. My comment was honestly was not meant to be directed at you personally.

It's just that we all know there are plenty of tea partiers out there who will be pitching a fit about any increase in taxes. Our infrastructure could be reduced to rubble and they would still complain about increasing revenue through taxes to pay for public investments.

I'm just glad that Corbett finally had the gumption to put forward what looks like a realistic plan and not keep drinking the Grover Norquist Koolaid.
Agree completely. I was probably going to vote for him a second time either way, but it's starting to appear that he's worth a second vote. I do think he will have an uphill battle on some of these proposals but no one has offered any other solution. Like Rendell said, Pennsylvania's rural Republican legislature wouldn't raise taxes to cure cancer.

Old 02-09-2013, 07:39 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,811,894 times
Quote:
Nevertheless, I'm sure some of the more conservative state legislators will not look favorably upon the removal of the tax cap.

And yes, I too cringe at the sight of an overabundance of road construction workers, but it's hard to have oversight over such things, especially if they're contractors.
I support the tax but also would love to see them remove the "prevailing wage" requirement and perhaps get a bit more work out of the number of people on site. I hadn't planned on voting for corbett and didn't vote for him the first time but the last month it's like he's a different governor (obviously recognizing that his first two years didn't work). I can't help but notice he's travelling more, selling his points, and acting aggressively on important subjects. time will tell if it works.

Old 02-09-2013, 08:08 AM

2,214 posts, read 5,090,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
I support the tax but also would love to see them remove the "prevailing wage" requirement and perhaps get a bit more work out of the number of people on site. I hadn't planned on voting for corbett and didn't vote for him the first time but the last month it's like he's a different governor (obviously recognizing that his first two years didn't work). I can't help but notice he's travelling more, selling his points, and acting aggressively on important subjects. time will tell if it works.
I'm even more surprised that he's added an almost populist take to his agenda: "Let's raise gas taxes to fund infrastructure." This sounds very D and not very R, and I imagine he's realizing that our underfunded infrastructure is an actual problem that needs to be addressed. Infrastructure is something that transcends rural vs. urban vs. suburban and affects everyone.

Old 02-12-2013, 11:25 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,727,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPP1999 View Post
I'm even more surprised that he's added an almost populist take to his agenda: "Let's raise gas taxes to fund infrastructure." This sounds very D and not very R, and I imagine he's realizing that our underfunded infrastructure is an actual problem that needs to be addressed. Infrastructure is something that transcends rural vs. urban vs. suburban and affects everyone.
Infrastructure is one of the surest ways to make a tax increase palatable, because people can see the progress if done properly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania