U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2006, 12:27 PM

6 posts, read 29,364 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I have lived in central PA for over 6 years. After having a successful career in IT I have found myself in a dead end situation since I moved in PA. Recently, I have applied for over 50 jobs in central PA with absolutely no luck. Anyone knows why the IT jobs have disappeared from this region? I have seen lots of Deloitte jobs for state contracts but they seem to prefer entry level candidates. Any ideas, suggestions will be highly appreciated.
I have a technical degree, specialization in Information Security and over 10 years of technology and management experience.

Thanks,
Criterion

Last edited by Criterion; 10-03-2006 at 12:36 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2006, 02:44 PM

32,160 posts, read 74,102,788 times
My father was in a similar situation back in the summer of 2002. After being employed by Prudential in Scranton for many years as a senior IT analyst, and then being outsourced to IBM in Scranton at the same position, he was left jobless in June of 2002 when "Big Blue" decided to shift its Scranton operations to India to "reduce costs." He worked for a while at both a gas station and grocery store to supplement his unemployment checks while he searched fruitlessly for work. He had opportunity knocking in the way of $90,000 salaries in both Hartford and Charlotte, but he opted to decline both in hopes that something locally would come along. Finally, he snagged a position with CONVERGYS in Downtown Wilkes-Barre, where he currently works (at a much lower salary than his former $70,000 with IBM, may I add).

I hate to turn things politically, but it seems as if ever since President Bush took office, MANY locals are having a rougher time securing decent employment opportunities. I'd assume that the job climate in Central PA is similar to how it is in Scranton. At least here we're finally starting to pop up on the radar of some Philly/NJ/NYC firms as being a "lower-cost" alternative for operations, so I predict more white-collar growth in Scranton over the next 5-10 years. In Central PA, you may not be quite as fortunate.

In any event, I wish you the best of luck in your job search! My father was unemployed for over a year, so you'll be needing all of the prayers that City-Data users can collectively provide for you! ;o( I'll be among those ranks of job-seekers in a few years upon college graduation; I just hope there are more Accounting opportunities than IT opportunities in the region, but from the looks of the local job climate, I'll probably be doing the Scranton-NYC commute, as many others are beginning to do just to provide their families with a decent quality-of-life, as most local salaries have NOT been keeping pace with our rising cost-of-living over the past few years. Best of luck to you!!! ;o)

Old 10-03-2006, 02:57 PM

Thanks for the reply.
I would prefer if we don’t have to move. I like the area I live and we have a very nice home.

Regarding Accounting jobs there are lots of entry-level opportunities near Harrisburg, PA. There are a handful of local and regional CPA firms and you will not have a problem finding a job, however, the average weekly workload is in the range of 60-80 hours during Tax season. If you end up in the consulting site of things then you will have to travel all over the place.

Old 10-03-2006, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Criterion View Post
Thanks for the reply.
I would prefer if we don’t have to move. I like the area I live and we have a very nice home.

Regarding Accounting jobs there are lots of entry-level opportunities near Harrisburg, PA. There are a handful of local and regional CPA firms and you will not have a problem finding a job, however, the average weekly workload is in the range of 60-80 hours during Tax season. If you end up in the consulting site of things then you will have to travel all over the place.
Thanks for the insight. I'm accustomed right now to heavy workloads---I usually attend class from 8-11 AM, then work from 12 PM-7 PM, and then wade through a mountain of homework on top of that! On Tuesdays I have class 8-11, a break between 11-2, class 2-3, a break between 3-6, and then class 6-9, along with working on the weekends! I'm used to never having a social life anymore, so working 60-80 hours per week during tax season wouldn't be burdensome at all to me! I'm hoping that I can find something entry-level in the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre area, but even those opportunities are cutthroat around here! I never even considered Harrisburg, but I'd much rather drive an hour-and-a-half to Harrisburg for work vs. two hours to NYC. I just don't understand the differences in salaries either---Entry-level accountants can start at around $50,000+ in NJ, yet just an hour and a half away here in Scranton, they start around $20,000? Why? The cost-of-living in NJ is NOT two-and-a-half times as much as it is here, considering most local homes are now selling at an average of over $150,000. I just don't understand that large salary gap either---It may be worth the extra hassle of a drive to snag that extra $30,000 so that I can afford a home more easily and start a family earlier. Hmmm....to be young and have so many decisions!

Old 10-03-2006, 03:09 PM

By the way, I hear that the Allentown area is starting to heat up with high-tech opportunities recently. I don't know where exactly you mean by Central PA (I'm assuming not far from Harrisburg), so the Lehigh Valley may or not be a good option for you to check out, depending on how long of a commute you're willing to handle. Good luck!!!

Old 10-03-2006, 09:11 PM

98 posts, read 415,031 times
It was recently in my local paper about Allentown and how it could have been the next silicone valley but that fell through when Agere changed hands or something to that effect.

I never kept up with the goings on but I do remember Agere sure was Big down there at one time.
They are still there and do have jobs and you will find a good salary in Allentown. Most decent homes go for $300,000-$450,000 down there.

Otherwise I would suggest looking into bigger businesses -they all need IT people. Forget about the little businesses they can't pay you let alone provide benifits.

Just look up Agere Systems and you will find jobs.. They have accounting jobs too Wilkes-Barre!

Old 10-04-2006, 09:39 PM

I mean central PA the Harrisburg metro area (York-Carlisle-Hershey). As far I can tell entry level accountants in our area start at 30,000. If you have any work exposure to Sarbanes-Oxley requirements then you can start around 45,000.

Deloitte seems to hire lots of people in accounting / consulting in central PA also so when the time comes you can check that option also. Many use this route to end a job in the State without having to go through the civil service examinations and bureaucracy.

Thanks for the update about Allentown, however it is quite of a drive from here, so I will keep looking for something closer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania