Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2007, 10:23 AM
pss pss started this thread

2 posts, read 8,962 times

Advertisements

New to Chambersburg. Where is a good place to meet people between 50 and 60?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2007, 09:23 PM

3 posts, read 13,513 times
Hello pss. I'm not sure what you are into for fun and recreation, but there are lots of clubs and organizations for a varied number of interests in Chambersburg. As far as just meeting friends, the YMCA is the gym of choice for most of the city. Early mornings are generally when the 50 - 60 groups works out. From what I've seen, a nice group of people. If service organizations are your thing, Chambersburg has the usual...Lions, Rotary, Civitan, etc...and that is also the 50 - 60 age group. If you are male, the Chambersburg Club is a bonding experiece. Really though, pick and interest and start looking around, there is probably something to fit. Welcome to Chambersburg. It really is a friendly little town.

Old 10-28-2007, 04:21 PM

9 posts, read 41,370 times
Default Chambersburg

Hi, my family & I want to move closer to my husbands job next year. We are looking at Western Maryland or parts of PA, such as Greencastle & Chambersburg.

We have school-age children, so we are looking for a home with good schools. My husband told me that a few people, who work with him and reside in PA, said to stay away from Chambersburg because of the schools. But I have seen some beautiful homes in that area, in the price range we are looking.

What are your opinions on the schools in Chambersburg? My son is autistic, so we want a good school that is going to help him with his special needs. I'm particularly wondering how the middle and high schools are.

Thanks for responding!

Old 10-29-2007, 11:46 AM

641 posts, read 2,366,643 times
We will also be moving to Chambersburg area. Everyone that has responded to me has told me the schools in Chambersburg are plentiful and good. Havnt heard anything negative about them, except they tell me to steer away from Stevens. We wo't be moving up until next summer though.

ama

Old 11-07-2007, 05:34 AM

9 posts, read 41,370 times
Thanks so much for responding! I looked up the different schools in the area, and I'm guessing you are talking about Thaddeus Stevens Elementary? I'll keep that in mind. Thanks again!

Old 04-23-2008, 11:34 PM

623 posts, read 1,817,368 times
Default Relocating to Chambersburg PA

My wife and I are thinking of moving to Chambersburg this summer from Las Vegas. Aside from slower pace is there any other reason why someone might want to avoid moving there. The reason we chose (or are planning to choose) Chambersburg is the fact it is slower paced, low illegal immigrants, decent housing costs, good micro economy(according to a few articles I have read), and appears a good place to raise children. Besides any hidden pitfalls what is the winter like--temp and snowfall? Neither really bothers us (originally from upstate NY) and it is a welcome trade considering we deal with 115 degree summers

Old 04-24-2008, 07:13 AM

518 posts, read 2,532,028 times
not so sure about the low illegal immigrants. go to downtown chambersburg and there are many mexicans. not sure if they're legal or illegal though

Old 04-24-2008, 12:07 PM

623 posts, read 1,817,368 times
If they have the ability to speak english then its not a concern--because in Vegas they dont have or pretend not to have that ability

Old 04-25-2008, 06:17 PM

26 posts, read 84,267 times
Chambersburg is a great area to raise a family. It's definately a slower pace than Las Vegas. In fact, it may be the total opposite of Las Vegas. You may want to check out the Hershey/Lancaster/Harrisburg area in PA. Let me know if you need some assistance with finding a home.

Old 04-25-2008, 06:53 PM

3,520 posts, read 9,239,685 times
From passing through Chambersburg a number of times and spending a limited amount of time there, I think Chambersburg is a pretty good town. Having said that, I think there a number of towns in south central PA that are probably better than Chambersburg; Carlisle and Gettysburg come to mind.

One moderate and one minor negative about Chambersburg (one of which is applicable to many towns in south central PA):

1) There is a lot of truck traffic on Interstate 81. Like many communities along I-81, there are a number of warehouses within a few miles of Chambersburg, including at the edge of town. (Carlisle would be worse in this regard, while Hagerstown, which is about 20-25 miles south of C-burg across the Mason-Dixon Line, would be better.)

2) US 30 is fairly congested in the Chambersburg area, though nowhere near as bad as the worst roads in the Las Vegas area (like I-15 at rush hour, the Strip, or the major streets intersecting I-15 and the Strip).

Incidentally, I've been to Las Vegas a few times (not because of any interest in gambling, but because I have relatives who live in Las Vegas and Pahrump), and I really dislike Las Vegas. It's a bland suburb with an adult entertainment center in the middle, though seeing slot machines in convenience stores is interesting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania