Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2007, 08:22 PM

26 posts, read 130,330 times

Advertisements

I am thinking of moving to Lancaster County, and I have visited there before. I like the laid back culture.. and the calm and friendly personalities that abound. This is a good thing.

But with so many people supposedly moving into Lancaster County from out of state & large city areas, is the good quality of life Lancaster County changing for the worse?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2007, 05:40 AM

1,135 posts, read 3,982,664 times
Im a native PA'er living in Vermont.
I say Lanco is changing for the worse.
In the city its due to the usual stuff that wrecks every city,
crime, mean people etc.......
In the rural areas its development gone wild !! The developers
have been allowed to run amok over common sense. The plague
of WAL*MARTS, McMansions and people driving BMW's SUV's and
minivans too fast on roads shared by Amish Buggies and not
understanding farm culture has really taken a toll.
OK, that being said, there are still many nice areas that havent gotten
slapped as hard. They are there. I miss it so much it is my goal to get
back as soon as it is possible, development or not .

Last edited by KoZmiC NinJa; 06-08-2007 at 05:58 AM..

Old 06-08-2007, 07:32 AM

24,411 posts, read 23,070,474 times
Lancaster County has 3 Wal Marts, 2 of them are supercenters. They are also in the top 5 counties in the country that are protecting farmland, Berks and Lancaster keep trading places for the number 3 spot. So over development isn't as big an issue as it is in Montgomery or Chester County, but you hate to see the best farmland in the country go to housing developments even if they are upscale homes. Lancaster city itself is another smaller version of Reading, but like Reading, most of the problems stay in the city. Let's hope high gas prices continue so people won't want to drive 40 or 50 miles each way to work so they can live in the country.

Old 06-08-2007, 08:33 AM

2,071 posts, read 6,697,470 times
Default where are you from?

Hi movetopa,

Where are you from? Maybe that will help others compare it to where you are now.

We are originally from NY, currently living in Nevada but we are also considering a move to Lancaster. We were there last October and Lancaster is nowhere as busy , crazy, or built up as here in Vegas or as Long Island is. And we drove through the Lancaster city area at night , the crime wasnt even close to how bad Vegas crime is. Actually we didnt feel unsafe at all.

But i guess like any suburb its growing for sure, hard for me to say if its for the better. Someone pointed out there are only 3 super walmarts there, while here in Vegas we have like 10.

Depending where your from LAncaster might be a great place.

Do you have kids ?

Good luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by movetopa View Post
I am thinking of moving to Lancaster County, and I have visited there before. I like the laid back culture.. and the calm and friendly personalities that abound. This is a good thing.

But with so many people supposedly moving into Lancaster County from out of state & large city areas, is the good quality of life Lancaster County changing for the worse?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania