U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2008, 02:09 PM

3 posts, read 15,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsmith View Post
Hey guys--I'm also thinking about moving to the Williamsport Area, more specifically, to the east and south (Montoursville, Muncy, Milton). I'm intrigued by the extremely contrasting opinions about the place. I'm guessing that this area could be good or bad depending on your tastes and especially what you make of it.
Exactly, it is what you make of it.

I've lived in the Williamsport area for 12 years, came from the Southeast, lived in the Midwest in both small towns and large cities. Williamsport is a rural small town with good and bad like anywhere else.

52% of Williamsport rents, there are plenty of rentals in Muncy, Montoursville, all over. The median HHI is around $32k (it was last time I looked a couple years ago) and housing is prices appropriately.

Crime is not a huge problem anywhere in the area. There are those who like to play the high crime rate card but crime is basically bad guy vs bad guy. Common sense keeps you safe whether you are in Atlanta or Williamsport.

Checkout Billtown Boards (http://www.billtownboards.com/forums - broken link) for more talk on the area. There is some good discussion there on the Williamsport area.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2008, 12:29 PM

463 posts, read 1,503,646 times
Hey, I just wanted to update here and mention that I have completed my move. I now live in Williamsport City, specificly East End. I'm in a small and nice apartment in the third floor of a house here, and the area seems very nice so far. I commute to outside Muncy for work every day, and I'm happily astonished that even with road construction on I-180 there is still virtually no backup! Try finding that anywhere in Bucks County, where tiny two-lane country roads have near-interstate volumes forced upon them! Anyway, I'm happy with this area so far and I'm staying at least a year, possibly longer, because I am thinking about really putting down roots somewhere.

Old 08-20-2008, 11:04 PM

32,196 posts, read 74,156,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsmith View Post
Hey, I just wanted to update here and mention that I have completed my move. I now live in Williamsport City, specificly East End. I'm in a small and nice apartment in the third floor of a house here, and the area seems very nice so far. I commute to outside Muncy for work every day, and I'm happily astonished that even with road construction on I-180 there is still virtually no backup! Try finding that anywhere in Bucks County, where tiny two-lane country roads have near-interstate volumes forced upon them! Anyway, I'm happy with this area so far and I'm staying at least a year, possibly longer, because I am thinking about really putting down roots somewhere.
I'm absolutely thrilled to hear that you're adjusting well to life in your new city. If you haven't done so already, then please take a jaunt along West Fourth Street to admire all of the gorgeous historic homes featured in my 2007 Williamsport Photo Tour.

If you have any further inquiries about Lycoming County, please let us know. Bear in mind also that traffic might be a bit more congested now than usual because of all of the tourists in town for the Little League World Series.

Old 11-27-2008, 02:32 AM

2 posts, read 6,218 times
I graduated from Williamsport high school in 07. From the time I moved there I knew two kids killed in gang related problems, seven which went to jail and many who were expelled. I learned that you had to be careful from my first week there in my freshman year. I had moved there from Dallas, Texas. I got shoved for looking at someone 'wrong'. I learned that there was a gap between blacks and whites. A mechanic, 'smitty' openly used the 'n' word in front of us even though he knew nothing about us. I heard the 'n' word repeated many times going to that school. And a black girl even threatened to kill me because I sat at the wrong lunch table. The school and programs were superb, but are wasted on a place like that where education is clearly not valued. The drama club had a wonderful improv group but because of the students, without a cue is disappearing. My mother was told she couldn't be promoted because she wasn't from there. The church my family went to excluded us because we were outsiders. We were miserable there. For five years we learned to keep our heads down and to remember that we are better than this, the first chance I got I left. I hated it there, for me there was only one good thing left and that is my best friend and only friend I had ever met. A mentally challenged girl whose soul is more beautiful than the green mountains that surround that disgusting place.

Old 12-04-2008, 08:28 PM

5 posts, read 19,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizanne8989 View Post
I graduated from Williamsport high school in 07. From the time I moved there I knew two kids killed in gang related problems, seven which went to jail and many who were expelled. I learned that you had to be careful from my first week there in my freshman year. I had moved there from Dallas, Texas. I got shoved for looking at someone 'wrong'. I learned that there was a gap between blacks and whites. A mechanic, 'smitty' openly used the 'n' word in front of us even though he knew nothing about us. I heard the 'n' word repeated many times going to that school. And a black girl even threatened to kill me because I sat at the wrong lunch table. The school and programs were superb, but are wasted on a place like that where education is clearly not valued. The drama club had a wonderful improv group but because of the students, without a cue is disappearing. My mother was told she couldn't be promoted because she wasn't from there. The church my family went to excluded us because we were outsiders. We were miserable there. For five years we learned to keep our heads down and to remember that we are better than this, the first chance I got I left. I hated it there, for me there was only one good thing left and that is my best friend and only friend I had ever met. A mentally challenged girl whose soul is more beautiful than the green mountains that surround that disgusting place.
huh, I have heard that about the highschool. I graduated from WAHS in 2002, and a former teacher of mine (Mrs. Murphy) called from 1997 - 2003 the "glory years" in her 20 years of teaching up there. Apparently most of the other teachers agreed wiht that assessment. I was there form 19998 - 2002, right smack dab in the middle of the "glory years." VERY VERY few fights up there. All the sports teams were doing very well, half of the teams even winning states. The school was scoring much higher on the PSSAs than anywhere else in the state, and the fencing club, and improv groups, as well as other clubs were getting stronger. But since 2003 - 2004, the school has all but almost fallen apart at the seams. Perhaps maybe it is because the head principle that was there when I was retired the year I graduated? I dunno.

But as far as benig called the "n" word directly to your face, and people threatening you for giving them "the wrong look," then either you are incredibly unlucky, or else you may have some kind of bad attitude. No matter where you go, people generally do not act the way that you described them, and I can hardly believe that is just a localized incident that you'll "only find in Willimpsport."

Old 06-16-2009, 12:20 PM

1 posts, read 3,560 times
You must be the guy who came up with the t-shirt idea that said "I'm one of the good guys"

Old 07-07-2009, 01:15 AM

1 posts, read 3,495 times
I have lived in Williamsport for a few years now and absolutely would NOT recommend. There is nothing but crime here. Tons of drugs, shootings, stabbings, robberies, etc. happen constantly. Williamsport is definitely not safe. Crime, crime crime! I've even been an innocent victim myself. The only reason is live in this dirthole of a town is because it's all I can afford. Trust me, Williamsport will not be any better. It's absolutely a place of terror.

Old 05-26-2010, 03:03 PM

5 posts, read 15,200 times
Default Sad reading . . .

Having grown up in Lycoming County, I'm saddened to read these reports of Williamsport's decline. Going shopping in downtown Williamsport once was a treat for those of us who lived in the outlying communities (does anyone else recall waiting in line to visit Santa at L.L. Stearns & Sons??), but it seems that folks now are hesitant to venture there unless absolutely necessary. I have to agree that the current crime problem can be traced at least in part to the influx of rehabilitation facilities in the '80s -- the ready availability of affordable land and the city government's short-sighted eagerness to tap into this potential revenue stream created a veritable cottage industry catering to drug users. Naturally, drug DEALERS were quick to follow. Deliberately populating one's city with a known criminal element is not exactly a model plan for urban renewal.

Isn't it time for Lycoming County/Williamsport residents to reclaim their community? Here's a thought -- elect yourselves a decent prosecutor who actually is interested in TRYING CASES inside of just showboating at press conferences, and stop rubber-stamping Gene Yaw's hand-picked cronies who are more interested in promoting their own political ambitions than in serving the interests of the citizens they are supposed to represent. Just the humble opinion of an attorney who long ago moved on to bigger and better things, but still has a soft spot for my birthplace.

Old 08-17-2010, 09:35 AM

1 posts, read 2,819 times
I have relocated several times due to my husband's job. Williamsport was by far the worst experience we have ever had. We lived in Loyalsock, which is suppose to be the "better" part of Williamsport. It was awful....rude, mean-spirited adults and children, a lack of friendliness or even manners. Constant whining...a school district that was inept...cares only about test scores not the kids. Oh I could go on & on...DON'T DO IT! I was so happy when we left. If you do wind up there, DO NOT TRUST THE REALTORS...not for one second. That's pretty good advice anywhere but esp. there. They lie.

Old 08-17-2010, 01:48 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,942,407 times
judging by city data numbers, crime really isn't that rampant, not like in, say, york or even lancaster.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania