Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you flee if you were unencumbered?
Yes, get me the hell out of this hell hole 41 58.57%
No, I relish mediocrity 29 41.43%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2014, 12:38 PM

4,045 posts, read 4,429,985 times

Advertisements

What do you mean 'self hate like Truth'? Don't lump me in with the locals,I don't hate me...I hate this place and everything it spawns. Get it right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2014, 12:48 PM

139 posts, read 366,186 times
Default Se pa

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
there are parts of the state i dont like. johnstown was incredibly depressing. the coal regions have been on a different track than sepa and until recently pittsburgh was the depressed center of a depressed region. the blight and population loss in places in western pa is almost unimaginable outside a few areas ... what is happening within the state is sepa is growing and most other parts are shrinking with some notable exceptions.

I have only been through SE PA on a motorcycle once, but it was very beautiful, and, as I said, I think Gettysburg is one of the nicest places I've ever been (and I have lived in 9 states and seen most of the others).

You are right about western PA/coal region. It is a different world than eastern PA. And not in a good way.

(I lived in Johnstown for a year and a half, and I liked it a thousand times better than where I live now. I can't put it into words how boring, backwards, and dead this area is.... Look before you leap...that's the lesson I have learned from this move.

Old 03-23-2014, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoss View Post
(I lived in Johnstown for a year and a half, and I liked it a thousand times better than where I live now. I can't put it into words how boring, backwards, and dead this area is.... Look before you leap...that's the lesson I have learned from this move.
There seems to be some commonality with people who may be burnt out on their areas...

Old 03-23-2014, 12:56 PM

300 posts, read 441,269 times
I live in Northern PA where there is basically nothing. Wilkes Barre is even over an hour drive for me. I don't really see the point of staying in the state if I am going to be moving anyway. Yeah, I could move to Philly or Pittsburgh, but why limit myself just for the sake of staying in state.

With my degree there is an overabundance of jobs(Computer Science), just not in northern PA. Northern PA is run down, most people have low income, and there is no zoning, so even if you buy a place in the middle of the woods there is no one stopping anyone else from buying some land next to you and plopping a trailer on it.

Old 03-23-2014, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghdana View Post
I live in Northern PA where there is basically nothing. Wilkes Barre is even over an hour drive for me. I don't really see the point of staying in the state if I am going to be moving anyway. Yeah, I could move to Philly or Pittsburgh, but why limit myself just for the sake of staying in state.

With my degree there is an overabundance of jobs(Computer Science), just not in northern PA. Northern PA is run down, most people have low income, and there is no zoning, so even if you buy a place in the middle of the woods there is no one stopping anyone else from buying some land next to you and plopping a trailer on it.
I lived in the Wyoming Valley as well as Lehigh Valley years ago,and my experience was that there wasn't much industry left in those areas after the exit of the coal and steel. I had friends that were blowing out of the Lehigh Valley left & right looking for work...I had a long commute to NJ for work myself.

And depending on your degree,Philly is not the be all end all for jobs either. I was shocked at the lack of jobs here when I got here years ago,also had to go over to NJ for that too. So unless you're a lawyer or something,you may not find what you're looking for here either.

If you're doing computers,perhaps yes the west coast would be better for that.

Old 03-23-2014, 01:06 PM

139 posts, read 366,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghdana View Post
Yeah, I could move to Philly or Pittsburgh, but why limit myself just for the sake of staying in state.

... most people have low income, and there is no zoning, so even if you buy a place in the middle of the woods there is no one stopping anyone else from buying some land next to you and plopping a trailer on it.

I am poor, and have rented trailers before, so I am not with you on your whole comment. However, if you have job opportunities, there is no reason why you should stay in PA. There are a thousand nice places all over this country to live. You might like CO--sunny all the time and lots to do. VA is great--cosmopolitan (near D.C.) with nature and history galore.

Go while you are young and before you get stuck!

Old 03-23-2014, 01:16 PM

Quote:
I am poor, and have rented trailers before, so I am not with you on your whole comment. However, if you have job opportunities, there is no reason why you should stay in PA. There are a thousand nice places all over this country to live. You might like CO--sunny all the time and lots to do. VA is great--cosmopolitan (near D.C.) with nature and history galore.

Go while you are young and before you get stuck!
Agreed,but I can say if you're poor the last place you want to be is a major metro area! It's like you're getting run over in the rat race! I moved from New Jersey to Roanoke Virginia once and while I took a pretty big cut in pay I also cut my stress as well...

Old 03-23-2014, 01:22 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,821,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth11 View Post
What do you mean 'self hate like Truth'? Don't lump me in with the locals,I don't hate me...I hate this place and everything it spawns. Get it right.
ive got you right no worries there.

the worst seems to be over for the lehigh valley and relative to how nepa fared theyve done pretty well coping. philly isnt the end all be all but you can make good money, have a good job , send tour kids to good schools , have access to all the basics of a big metro like an international airport with good service as well as a functional transit system and intercity train lines.

Old 03-23-2014, 01:27 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,821,015 times
Quote:
I have only been through SE PA on a motorcycle once, but it was very beautiful, and, as I said, I think Gettysburg is one of the nicest places I've ever been (and I have lived in 9 states and seen most of the others).

You are right about western PA/coal region. It is a different world than eastern PA. And not in a good way.

out of curiosity what area is it ?
gettysburg has turned into a wonderful place. walkable little town with increasingly good food. that area of the state is beautiful. its been able to capitalize on its location...semirural but not that far from baltimore , philly , or dc and good road access to the ny market as well. i was struck by the different fates of towns along rt30 vs rt 22.

Old 03-23-2014, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
ive got you right no worries there.
And again,look at the people around you and don't lump me in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania