Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you flee if you were unencumbered?
Yes, get me the hell out of this hell hole 41 58.57%
No, I relish mediocrity 29 41.43%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2013, 01:12 PM

9,325 posts, read 12,993,619 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toure View Post
Oh I'm not moving. I'm never moving. To me I live in the best city in the U.S. but the state? Not so much 11%black and all lives in Philly or Pittsburgh area. Beautiful state, don't get me wrong. But it IS the hicks.
I never realized that the proportion of African Americans is what makes and breaks the cosmopolitan nature of a state! And here I was thinking places like Massachusetts and California were sophisticated. I guess Alabama, Mississippi, and Louisiana are among the only states worth living...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2013, 02:09 PM

Location: The Flagship City and Vacation in the Paris of Appalachia
2,773 posts, read 3,855,363 times
Quote:
Oh I'm not moving. I'm never moving. To me I live in the best city in the U.S. but the state? Not so much 11%black and all lives in Philly or Pittsburgh area. Beautiful state, don't get me wrong. But it IS the hicks.
All of the black people in PA live in Pittsburgh or Philly? What is the capital of the state you call home? That would be Harrisburg, which is an African American majority city with 52.4% of the residents being African American. In fact the percentage of African Americans living in Harrisburg is higher than Philadelphia, which is only 43.4% African American.

Harrisburg (city) QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau
Philadelphia (city) QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

Old 04-11-2013, 03:00 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,810,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by track2514 View Post
All of the black people in PA live in Pittsburgh or Philly? What is the capital of the state you call home? That would be Harrisburg, which is an African American majority city with 52.4% of the residents being African American. In fact the percentage of African Americans living in Harrisburg is higher than Philadelphia, which is only 43.4% African American.

Harrisburg (city) QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau
Philadelphia (city) QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau
that doesn't reflect how welcome people may or may not feel throughout the the metro area.

Old 04-11-2013, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
that doesn't reflect how welcome people may or may not feel throughout the the metro area.
Never said it did, the poster in this case was claiming that Philadelphia and Pittsburgh were the only non "rasist" areas because that is where all the black people in PA live. I was pointing out that even his flawed statement was incorrect.

Old 04-11-2013, 07:01 PM

24 posts, read 51,525 times
personally i have lived in a number of states outside of pa and some rather interesting towns. what i do not care for is law enforcement in this state. they appear to make up laws and fine people as they want to. talk about a policed state. I have lived in may areas including 3 towns in FL and 3 towns in NJ and well i have never gotten the full blown discord i have than with PA and the traffic tickets.. my sons get pulled over for the dumbest reasons and i am telling them to fight them from here in until they relocate. kids today have it bad when it comes to being pulled over i personally would not want to be a youth in todays times,,,never got tickets anywhere else just in this state i wonder why...

Old 04-12-2013, 06:11 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,147,759 times
Quote:
So the state is racist since it's only 11% black? There are plenty of other states with much higher percentages of blacks and have a much worse history than any part of PA could have with race relations.

Old 04-13-2013, 08:04 PM

726 posts, read 1,228,574 times
How can one truely answer that question? I have traveled all over this wonderful country and keep coming back to Pa.

I like the 4 seasons. Like all places, it's the people that screw it up.....hehehe

Old 04-13-2013, 08:12 PM

726 posts, read 1,228,574 times
Quote:
Have you ever lived somewhere else? Really.... I don't think so. Hicks?

It sounds like the kettle calling the pot..... cooked.

Old 04-14-2013, 07:25 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,685,656 times
Best thing I ever did was load up the truck and head west. Job in PA was the death of a thousand cuts. Not making enough to break even. I love Philly but that's just a memory now. I wouldn't want to live there

Old 04-14-2013, 12:20 PM

Quote:
You are the one who started talking about percentages and as a measure of "rasism." As I have pointed out Harrisburg is an urban area in the center of the state that is majority black. Making blanket statements is never a good idea, especially when it comes to racism and an entire state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania