Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2013, 01:21 PM

13 posts, read 26,954 times

Advertisements

I lived in the Boston Store Apartments from 2001-2010, but half of 2008 and 2009 I was living in campus dorm's but still went home on the weekends. Then I lived on 10th and Myrtle while I was taking a year off in 2011. Now Im back in school with no desire to ever live in downtown Erie again ha! 2011 was a messy year down there with all the gunshots we heard. And also, I don't miss the begging bums that frequent the downtown area.

Edited to add: Also once my poor helpless mother was mugged one time walking home from Starbucks by some teenage punks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2013, 01:51 PM

Location: The Flagship City and Vacation in the Paris of Appalachia
2,773 posts, read 3,857,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edinlake24 View Post
I lived in the Boston Store Apartments from 2001-2010, but half of 2008 and 2009 I was living in campus dorm's but still went home on the weekends. Then I lived on 10th and Myrtle while I was taking a year off in 2011. Now Im back in school with no desire to ever live in downtown Erie again ha! 2011 was a messy year down there with all the gunshots we heard. And also, I don't miss the begging bums that frequent the downtown area.

Edited to add: Also once my poor helpless mother was mugged one time walking home from Starbucks by some teenage punks.
Poverty is a major problem for Erie county and the homeless are not all in the city and even Edinboro has almost a 25% poverty rate. Of course this is inflated a little due to college students, but poverty still exists in rural areas and the poverty rate in many Erie county areas is very high. Here is an article from the Erie Times about this:

Poverty not confined to city of Erie | GoErie.com/Erie Times-News

I am sorry to hear about the problems you and your family encountered while living in the city. I am honestly surprised though because the Boston Store and the area around Gannon seem pretty safe to me. Overall, I have not had any problems on State St. or the general downtown area around French, Parade, State, etc. Many locals told me to specifically avoid Parade St., but I have really enjoyed going to Kraus, the Palm Cafe, Mighty Fine Donuts, Latinos, etc. and I have never had any problems.

Old 08-18-2013, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackstar13 View Post
Poverty is a major problem for Erie county and the homeless are not all in the city and even Edinboro has almost a 25% poverty rate. Of course this is inflated a little due to college students, but poverty still exists in rural areas and the poverty rate in many Erie county areas is very high. Here is an article from the Erie Times about this:

Poverty not confined to city of Erie | GoErie.com/Erie Times-News

I am sorry to hear about the problems you and your family encountered while living in the city. I am honestly surprised though because the Boston Store and the area around Gannon seem pretty safe to me. Overall, I have not had any problems on State St. or the general downtown area around French, Parade, State, etc. Many locals told me to specifically avoid Parade St., but I have really enjoyed going to Kraus, the Palm Cafe, Mighty Fine Donuts, Latinos, etc. and I have never had any problems.
Oh it's really not all that bad. Ten + years living downtown, and to only have two or three bad experiences is not all that much. I was just trying to point out that in Edinboro I feel a lot safer cause crime is non-existant out here.

Old 08-19-2013, 09:08 PM

39 posts, read 54,449 times
Default Thank you

Just wanted to post an update and a thank you to everyone who has posted a reply, especially those who really went out of their way to help us out!

My older daughter and I flew out to Erie on August 9th and stayed through the 12th. We secured a rental in Millcreek and we love, love, love the location. The interior is a little dated, but the location can't be beat - lake view (though not lake access), close to Presque Isle, Waldameer, etc., in a safe, quiet, established neighborhood, a mile and a half from the campus we hope my son will be at - a landlord we really hit it off with, and it's a great size for us.

While visiting, we went to the beach, Erie Zoo, Liberty Park, the Millcreek Mall, Waldameer, and drove around to everywhere we could think of to get familiar with the area. Love it. Really. Even more than I thought I would. Probably different living there, as is usually the case, but I feel really good about our decision.

So, our big move date is in a week! We'll be hitting the road on the 26th, arriving in Erie around the 29th (we hope), and "vacationing" at a local hotel until our stuff arrives sometime between the 3rd and the 5th.

We know it's going to be a huge change, but so, so excited! And truly appreciate everyone's advice along the way. All of your help has made such a difference in our decision making process. Truly appreciate it.

Old 08-19-2013, 09:24 PM

Location: The Flagship City and Vacation in the Paris of Appalachia
2,773 posts, read 3,857,133 times
Glad to hear you like it so far and it sounds like you are in a great location. Millcreek is a wonderful place and you might want to check out Asbury Woods, Frontier Park, the Erie Art Museum, the Watson-Curtze Mansion, Dobbins Landing, the Erie Children's Museum, the Erie Seawolves, the Tom Ridge Center and Big Green Screen, Erie Maritime Museum, Presque Isle Downs, etc.

Also, you might want to look at these websites for things to do:
Erie Events | All of what is happening in Erie PA
Erie PA regional events calendar - GoErie.com
Events | Visit Erie
Tall Ships Erie

Old 08-19-2013, 10:16 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,174,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myndolin View Post
We secured a rental in Millcreek and we love, love, love the location.
Good news! I hope your move goes smoothly.

Quote:
I'm heading to town for this. Can't wait. See y'all there!

Old 08-24-2013, 08:25 PM

392 posts, read 1,068,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edinlake24 View Post

10th and Myrtle? REALLY? That is one of Erie's calmer areas, IMO...

Quote:
FINALLY! SOMEONE who gets it! Erie doesn't just consist of Presque Isle and "Upper Peach". I'm happy that you've done some urban exploring and found some of our great spots.

Last edited by badguykc; 08-24-2013 at 08:32 PM.. Reason: merging one post with another

Old 08-25-2013, 02:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myndolin View Post
Just wanted to post an update and a thank you to everyone who has posted a reply, especially those who really went out of their way to help us out!

My older daughter and I flew out to Erie on August 9th and stayed through the 12th. We secured a rental in Millcreek and we love, love, love the location. The interior is a little dated, but the location can't be beat - lake view (though not lake access), close to Presque Isle, Waldameer, etc., in a safe, quiet, established neighborhood, a mile and a half from the campus we hope my son will be at - a landlord we really hit it off with, and it's a great size for us.

While visiting, we went to the beach, Erie Zoo, Liberty Park, the Millcreek Mall, Waldameer, and drove around to everywhere we could think of to get familiar with the area. Love it. Really. Even more than I thought I would. Probably different living there, as is usually the case, but I feel really good about our decision.

So, our big move date is in a week! We'll be hitting the road on the 26th, arriving in Erie around the 29th (we hope), and "vacationing" at a local hotel until our stuff arrives sometime between the 3rd and the 5th.

We know it's going to be a huge change, but so, so excited! And truly appreciate everyone's advice along the way. All of your help has made such a difference in our decision making process. Truly appreciate it.

I am so glad you like it here. For a city of 100,000 people we have "SO" much to do here. Probably more so than 90 percent of cities around this country with the same population.

Old 08-25-2013, 02:47 AM

Also I am extremely jealous of the road trip you are taking. One of my goals in life is to travel across this country by car. Ohhhh, I hope you have fun doing that. The difference in topography and landscapes you'll see will be overwhelming Im sure.

Last edited by Edinlake24; 08-25-2013 at 02:56 AM..

Old 08-25-2013, 02:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badguykc View Post
10th and Myrtle? REALLY? That is one of Erie's calmer areas, IMO...

FINALLY! SOMEONE who gets it! Erie doesn't just consist of Presque Isle and "Upper Peach". I'm happy that you've done some urban exploring and found some of our great spots.
Ha 10th and Myrtle is where we heard all the gunshots. I dont miss that location at all. It makes me wonder though, where are these people's parents that are letting their kids run loose with guns. Sick and stupid if you ask me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania