Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2013, 06:05 AM

802 posts, read 1,321,492 times

Advertisements

I can't say this really surprises me. I guess this idiot doesn't realize that people in Philadelphia and Pittsburgh, the commonwealth's two largest cities, pay taxes that fund roads they never use in rural parts of Pennsylvania. Also, they benefit from the tourism dollars that are spent in those two cities.

What a short sighted moron.

Right-wing legislator calls SEPTA funding 'welfare' | Philadelphia City Paper | 05/08/2013

[LEFT]Funding for SEPTA and other public transit is "subsidizing a minority of our population’s bus fare, which is just more welfare," said state Rep. Daryl Metcalfe (R-Butler), according to an e-mail discussion obtained by the Capitolwire news service (subscription only).

[/LEFT]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2013, 07:01 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,935,751 times
"27 percent of the state’s transportation funding went to southeastern Pennsylvania – Bucks, Philadelphia, Delaware, Chester and Montgomery counties – while that region had 32 percent of the state population and 40 percent of the state’s economic activity."

No more needs to be said. Septa, and the Philadelphia region are underfunded. Butler County is most likely overfunded and thus a welfare leeching parasite to the state.

Old 05-09-2013, 07:04 AM

4,783 posts, read 3,299,761 times
Nothing out of the mouth of Daryl Metcalfe surprises me.

Old 05-09-2013, 08:32 AM

9,380 posts, read 9,338,690 times
Politics of Pennsylvania. Our 5 country region is Pennsylvania, embarrassing for us that we sometimes get generalized into the category of backwards closed minded thinking. PA would be one of the poorest states right there with Mississippi if the Philadelphia region was its own state or a part of New Jersey. New Jersey in return might become the wealthiest state, its already one of the wealthiest.

Old 05-09-2013, 08:50 AM

7,270 posts, read 10,598,621 times
Daryl Metcalfe is, by far, the most inflammatory ultra-conservative hack in the State legislature.

He is the epitome of a politician that tries to rile-up and detract with extremist rhetoric, in particular with his Santorum-esque homophobic comments.

His comments about SEPTA come as no suprise, as cluelessness and ignorance are his forte. It is extremely concerning and upsetting that someone like him is in a position of political power.

Old 05-09-2013, 09:09 AM

4,783 posts, read 3,299,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
Daryl Metcalfe is, by far, the most inflammatory ultra-conservative hack in the State legislature.

He is the epitome of a politician that tries to rile-up and detract with extremist rhetoric, in particular with his Santorum-esque homophobic comments.

His comments about SEPTA come as no suprise, as cluelessness and ignorance are his forte. It is extremely concerning and upsetting that someone like him is in a position of political power.
He has authored a bill that would ban not only same sex marriage, but would also ban civil unions or domestic partnerships for gays. He has also authored a bill on immigration that is very similar to Alabama which of course is far right of Arizona's law.

Old 05-09-2013, 10:13 AM

1,225 posts, read 2,567,337 times
Ah Pennsyltucky.

I grew up there. I love having these arguments with my parents who are aghast that I'm living in such a liberal hell hole.

Old 05-09-2013, 11:15 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,688,469 times
It's like Tim Russert said, "You have Philadelphia on one end & Pittsburgh on the other, & Alabama in between.".

Old 05-09-2013, 11:44 AM

7,270 posts, read 10,598,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
It's like Tim Russert said, "You have Philadelphia on one end & Pittsburgh on the other, & Alabama in between.".
It was James Carville. But to be fair, Metcalfe is on the fringe.

I think most politicians, including many Republicans, understand that we need multiple and well-funded transportation options to sustain and improve our economy. It's just that these useless extremists try to get attention and score political points.

Old 05-09-2013, 12:09 PM

9,340 posts, read 13,007,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
The original quip was made by James Carville during Robert P. Casey's '88 gubernatorial campaign. He then said, "between Paoli and Penn Hills, Pennsylvania is like Alabama without the black folk." Nowadays, I think that can be broadened to Morgantown and Murrysville, but even then, Harrisburg-York-Lancaster, Reading, the Lehigh Valley, and Scranton-Wilkes Barre are cosmopolitan-ish.

Butler County, where Mr. "Septa Welfare" is from, is an odd mix of affluent exurbs; depressed industrial towns; and rural villages; interspersed with farmland. There's even some Amish in the Northwest corner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania