Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2006, 11:14 PM

11 posts, read 141,026 times

Advertisements

We will be relocating to Erie, Pa. Does anybody have any information on this city, suchas; cost of living, schools, jobs availability, churches, and how people treat you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2006, 01:06 PM

1 posts, read 20,838 times
Default Moving to Erie

Erie, Pa is an okay city. The beaches on Preque Isle are very nice in the summer time. There is a lot to do in the city. I lived there for many years. Millcreek is much nicer, but a little more expensive than Erie. The cost of living is pretty low, but then again high paying jobs are not commonplace in Erie. Either you are a white collar worker or you are closer to minimum wage. There is a very small middle ground. When moving there, try to stay out of the city or in Millcreek. Definitely stay away from the city's east side, particulalry between 12th to 26 St., State St. to East Ave. The area around Gannon University and Mercyhurst University is not too bad. As far as city schools - none of them are very good. McDowell (which serves Millcreek) is one of the better ones. All of the county schools are pretty good (General McLane, North East, Fairview, Iriquois, Fort LeBouef, Harborcreek, Girard).

Anything else you would like to know, just ask.

Kris

Old 04-02-2006, 10:22 PM

Thanks for the info. I am also looking at Northwest Harborcreek. Any info on that also will be helpful.

Old 04-12-2006, 09:19 PM
don

7 posts, read 64,349 times
Lake Pointe Community Church is a good option for a church home. It's located on Iroquois Road, next to the bread store.

- don

Old 05-21-2006, 06:06 PM

Are there any others here from Erie that have something else to add?

Old 05-23-2006, 09:29 PM

1 posts, read 20,854 times
Concerning Churches there are 20+ Catholic Churches in Erie.

Erie is very ethnic with a lot of Irish, Italians, and Poles and the city is 85% Catholic.

Finding one should be no problem.

Old 05-29-2006, 02:02 AM

Default Moving to erie.

Thanks for the info.

I am a Food Service Director and would like to know are there many opportunities in the Healthcare industries such as Nursing Homes or retirement homes? This will be a miltary move with my family.

Does anybody know about GREATER CALVARY FULL GOSPEL BAPTIST CHURCH on German Street?

Last edited by Sharon; 05-29-2006 at 02:06 AM..

Old 06-10-2006, 08:52 PM

3 posts, read 29,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharon
We will be relocating to Erie, Pa. Does anybody have any information on this city, suchas; cost of living, schools, jobs availability, churches, and how people treat you?
1) Poor sucker...
2) Cost of living. Average. Dead average. If you look at census data, Erie PA is exactly dead average for EVERYTHING. Age, education, median income, cost of housing, etc. We tend to get used to a lot of trial products from resturants and stores.
3) City schools suck, Millcreek schools are slightly better. Don't know much about the county schools. There are however many good catholic schools in the area.
4) Jobs? What are those? Not quite that bad, but I think you get the picture. General Electric Choo-Choo plant is one of the big employers. Verizon has a decent size presence. Lord Corporation is also fairly large for the area. Our Fearless Leaders seem to think that everyone should have a job in the tourism business since that's about all they seem to want to push.
5) Churches... Many. Many. Many. More than we freakin' need. All over town. Let me check (MMMRRROOOWWW! - Sorry kitty...) Yep. Can't swing a cat without hitting a church.
6) People? Hmmm... Not too bad. Crime rate is REALLY low IMHO (Used to be a bail bondsman, so I know a little whereof I speak... I think we had something like 6 murders all of last year. Not bad in a town of 100,000+. Most people seem to be pretty nice, although I recommend staying out of the east side. Areas that tend to be bad are East side 12th street to 26th street, Holland to Parade streets, West 12th street to West 19th Streets, but other than that, not too bad of a place. Millcreek and Lawrence Park tend to be slightly more affluent. County areas are basically middle of nowhere with exceptions of Northeast, Edinboro, and Wesleyville area. Edinboro is a college town. Northeast is quite rural. Wesleyville runs the gamut.

Anything else you need to know about Erie?

Old 06-12-2006, 09:14 PM

Thanks alot for all the info all of you have given me. I have a pretty good idea of what to expect when we move to Erie or surrounding areas. This Forum has been helpful.

Old 06-22-2006, 08:49 AM

Well again thanks all. We will be moving to the Erie area in about two months, it is a Military move. We will most likey look at the Mill Creek area of Erie. If anybody know of a nice area close to Erie, please let me know. I am very interested in the job market, I am a Food Serviec Directory.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania