Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2007, 08:22 AM

169 posts, read 661,075 times

Advertisements

Those of you that use oil to heat your house.

Did you prepay your oil? What temperature do you keep your house at?
How many gallons do you use a year?

I prepaid 350 gallons for $2.37 a gallon, now I wished I prepaid more.

I went through almost 600 gallons last year for heat and hotwater for a 1300 sq ft ranch with a partially finished basement that is also heated.

I keep the heat on 60 during the day when noone is home but me and raise it to 66-68 the rest of the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2007, 09:13 AM

Location: Lived Large in Parsippany NJ - Lived Larger in Livingston, NJ -- Now Living Huge in Bethlehem PA
466 posts, read 2,199,697 times
My house has both oil and board heating - the guy I bought the house from actually had a contract with the oil company for about $2.39 for a whole year contract which ends in August 2008 - so I am covered till then.

Since the tank was filled and inspected before I moved in I guess I should not be expecting a refill anytime soon since its a 275 capacity tank -- I normally leave the heat on at 65 when we are home and shut if off when nobody is around.

I am yet to see how much I use and what I should be expecting when the real cold PA climate kicks in.

=========

Quote:
Originally Posted by valentine92 View Post
Those of you that use oil to heat your house.

Did you prepay your oil? What temperature do you keep your house at?
How many gallons do you use a year?

I prepaid 350 gallons for $2.37 a gallon, now I wished I prepaid more.

I went through almost 600 gallons last year for heat and hotwater for a 1300 sq ft ranch with a partially finished basement that is also heated.

I keep the heat on 60 during the day when noone is home but me and raise it to 66-68 the rest of the time.

Old 11-06-2007, 10:09 AM

when you say board heating do you mean electric? Just curious.

That full tank should last you a while! That is great! What company do you get your oil from? I use Lehigh Fuels.

Old 11-06-2007, 10:46 AM

Location: Lived Large in Parsippany NJ - Lived Larger in Livingston, NJ -- Now Living Huge in Bethlehem PA
Yup I meant electric with board heating..!!!

The name of the company is Atlantic but I am considering shopping around when the contract is over so far I have registered with priceenergy.com to see what prices I might be able to lock down on or if I just have to continue with Atlantic.

Also is there a best time or season to purchase or sign up for oil fuel....to be able to lock in on good rates ot it fluctuates?

===============

Quote:
when you say board heating do you mean electric? Just curious.

That full tank should last you a while! That is great! What company do you get your oil from? I use Lehigh Fuels.

Old 11-06-2007, 11:20 AM

41,947 posts, read 75,144,160 times
I have a 200-gallon tank for a 1,200 square foot house with a finished basement. I go through about 2 1/2 tanks a winter, keeping the thermostat at 62 at night and 67 during the day.

Thank heaven I have 3/4 of a tank from last season, when I filled up at $2.19 a gallon. I'm locked in at $2.79 for this season. Not looking forward to that first fill-up!

Old 11-06-2007, 11:27 AM

Well the company that I use Lehigh Fuels usually comes out with their prepay first. So it is really hard to tell if it is a good deal or not since the other companies tend to wait a couple of more months. Fritch Fuel also seems to come out with their prepay plan early also. When I say early I mean around May. Last year I prepaid 600 gallons and it was the first winter in a long time that I lost money. Lehigh Fuels seems to be the cheapest around that I have seen. You can check them out at Lehigh Fuels: Welcome. They dont service the furnance you need to hire someone else to do that, but with the savings it has paid off for me. In the past I used Dieter Bros and found them to be rather expensive.

Can you please share the website for Atlantic, I would like to check them out as well.

Hope this helps!

Old 11-06-2007, 11:54 AM

Thanks for the info Valentine92,

I also have a contract on the burner through Fritch for a year and here is the info for Atlantic/Altemos - HOP Energy

Best regards

===========

Quote:
Well the company that I use Lehigh Fuels usually comes out with their prepay first. So it is really hard to tell if it is a good deal or not since the other companies tend to wait a couple of more months. Fritch Fuel also seems to come out with their prepay plan early also. When I say early I mean around May. Last year I prepaid 600 gallons and it was the first winter in a long time that I lost money. Lehigh Fuels seems to be the cheapest around that I have seen. You can check them out at Lehigh Fuels: Welcome. They dont service the furnance you need to hire someone else to do that, but with the savings it has paid off for me. In the past I used Dieter Bros and found them to be rather expensive.

Can you please share the website for Atlantic, I would like to check them out as well.

Hope this helps!

Old 11-06-2007, 12:26 PM

Thanks for the link I saved it to my favs for future reference.

Old 11-06-2007, 02:35 PM

155 posts, read 941,717 times
I buy when we need it. I know to many people who have been burned by prepaying but with the prices this year I think i'll be sorry.

Anyway I usually call greenacresfuel.com They usually have the best price.

Old 11-06-2007, 03:02 PM

I have had oil heat for the past 11 years and lost money one year on prepay and that was last year. Now I wish I prepaid more for this year, live and learn I guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania