Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2019, 07:37 AM

2,041 posts, read 1,521,983 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeriPoliyee4 View Post
Damn, shows how insensitive and blinded to racism people on this post can be. Some sound racists. Yes racism exists still, even in Harrisburg and it's not an excuse, it is what is really so. I'm by no way saying it was racism that got dude fired from his jobs, but no one can equally say racism wasn't the cause, it's not like the person doing the firing will make that known most cases, and to make like the person is ineffective or unskilled at work is equally ignorant. Maybe they favor people that kiss butt, or maybe they are bias and don't want him working there, who knows? Facts though is, Whites aren't the majority in Harrisburg, Blacks (African-Americans) are. Harrisburg is about 52.4% Black or African American, 30.7% White, 18.0% Latino-Hispanic and then all other people. Most people I know who are black never had a problem maintaining a job here, but I have heard of several cases of racism, discrimination, harassment, and bias here.
Exactly my thought after seeing the first few responses. It annoyed me to consider that responders on other states's forums may have actually met this man's concerns with constructive answers and cringed at the possibility that a newcomer to their state may be experiencing any form of racism.

You can't just say you're not racist as a white person and expect to be taken seriously if you just casually disregard the confidence of someone who may be experiencing it. It shouldn't be that easy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2019, 12:17 PM

8,061 posts, read 7,429,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoNgFooCj View Post
You can't just say you're not racist as a white person and expect to be taken seriously if you just casually disregard the confidence of someone who may be experiencing it. It shouldn't be that easy.
Except that the OP gave almost no details, just that it was a desk job and one of the "partners" didn't like him or her when they finally met after 2 weeks on the job and the job was quickly and easily filled on short notice.

A vague charge of "racism" against an entire town based on nothing but a bulletin board post is pretty hard to take seriously.

Old 01-27-2020, 08:11 PM

259 posts, read 174,130 times
I was a manager in a firm when I tried to hire a very well qualified Afro-American into a technology job. Another manager came over to me and told me he and our V.P. wanted her to know that they are not hiring the person and I better not ever try to hire a [profanity] again. I quit a month later and told them to take a flying [profanity]. Racism is still quite pronounced depending upon the geography and company culture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania