U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-19-2013, 01:21 PM
 
2 posts, read 13,449 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

I just moved to camp hill, Pa and I am having a hard time keeping a job. The majority of people in the Harrisburg area are white, although I see a big group of people from India in the area. I think because of the demand for IT. I am of dark complexion and already have been hired and a few days later terminated. In thinking of looking for work in Lancaster , but afraid I might meet the same racist fate.

I'm originally from the DC metro area where diversity is accepted and embrace so this is shocking.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-19-2013, 02:22 PM
 
Location: Pennsylvania
5,726 posts, read 10,569,485 times
Reputation: 9768
If there was a racist reason for firing you, why would they have hired you in the first place?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2013, 06:52 PM
 
Location: The canyon (with my pistols and knife)
13,496 posts, read 19,382,603 times
Reputation: 15450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsalazar2006 View Post
The majority of people in the Harrisburg area are white...
The majority of people in the United States are white. And smaller cities aren't going to be as racially diverse as larger cities.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsalazar2006 View Post
I am of dark complexion and already have been hired and a few days later terminated. In thinking of looking for work in Lancaster , but afraid I might meet the same racist fate.
Is it really racism at work, or do you just have a persecution complex? If the Harrisburg area was nearly as racist as you want to believe, then there wouldn't be 56,209 black residents, 15,816 Asian residents, or 25,831 Hispanic residents. Furthermore, the black population would not have increased by 17.6% between 2000 and 2010; the Asian population would not have increased by 84.5%, and the Hispanic population would not have increased by 90.1%. If anything, the non-white population would be flat or declining if there was so much racism to deal with.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsalazar2006 View Post
I'm originally from the DC metro area where diversity is accepted and embrace so this is shocking.
Douchebaggery is also embraced in Washington DC, for what it's worth.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 08-23-2013 at 09:30 AM.. Reason: removed inappropriat language
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2013, 07:25 PM
 
Location: Philadelphia, PA
1,567 posts, read 2,764,617 times
Reputation: 1658
Maybe you should just accept responsibility for your own shortcomings instead of blaming an entire city.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2013, 10:09 PM
 
2 posts, read 13,449 times
Reputation: 10
Thank you for your opinions. I just feel insulted that I got hired by one of the partners. The second partners meets me two weeks later and one of the directors doesn't like me early on and then I get booted. When I go back to the office to pick up my stuff, there a new hire sitting at my desk doing my Job. Talk about adding insult to injury.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-20-2013, 03:23 AM
 
Location: Lehighton/Jim Thorpe area
2,095 posts, read 2,771,404 times
Reputation: 1693
Sounds more like shady office politics than racism. There are plenty of people of color from all different backgrounds living and working in and around Harrisburg. Of course there is racism, as there is everywhere, but this sounds more like two idiot bosses who weren't on the same page as one another.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-20-2013, 07:25 AM
 
Location: Philly
10,067 posts, read 14,899,433 times
Reputation: 2804
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsalazar2006 View Post
Thank you for your opinions. I just feel insulted that I got hired by one of the partners. The second partners meets me two weeks later and one of the directors doesn't like me early on and then I get booted. When I go back to the office to pick up my stuff, there a new hire sitting at my desk doing my Job. Talk about adding insult to injury.
unfortunately, you just can't know if its racism. there are *******s, this temp could have been someone's friend, who knows. I can certainly understand your frustration, it's a terrible thing to happen. lancaster has a different dynamic than harrisburg, lancaster is mostly white, has a huge hispanic population, with blacks at about 14%, and asians at 2.5% harrisburg is majority black, with a large white minority(30%), same amount of asians, and a much smaller hispanic population. not saying this is good or bad necessarily but it indicates to me that whites have more thoroughly left harrisburg than lancaster which could be indicative of something. of course, harrisburg could also just be a worse place....and there's plenty of evidence that harrisburg is run by crooks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-20-2013, 07:34 AM
 
Location: Lehigh Valley, PA
2,309 posts, read 3,861,889 times
Reputation: 5326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsalazar2006 View Post
I just moved to camp hill, Pa and I am having a hard time keeping a job. The majority of people in the Harrisburg area are white, although I see a big group of people from India in the area. I think because of the demand for IT. I am of dark complexion and already have been hired and a few days later terminated. In thinking of looking for work in Lancaster , but afraid I might meet the same racist fate.

I'm originally from the DC metro area where diversity is accepted and embrace so this is shocking.
Yes, the conspiracy by the Illuminati of Harrisburg has reared it's head again to strike fear into a former DC resident.

When you find yourself at Wegman's or Target on the Carsilile Pike and see white men in business suits giving each other official secret handshakes and hand signals you can then be certain that Harrisburg's connection to the destruction of you and others like you is imminent.

"" <Ding Dong> "" Who's is it? Hey Rsalazar it's DC at the door, they want to know if you want to move back? My opinion? Good idea!!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-20-2013, 01:15 PM
 
Location: Center of the universe
24,661 posts, read 35,597,600 times
Reputation: 11780
Quote:
Originally Posted by julian17033 View Post
Yes, the conspiracy by the Illuminati of Harrisburg has reared it's head again to strike fear into a former DC resident.

When you find yourself at Wegman's or Target on the Carsilile Pike and see white men in business suits giving each other official secret handshakes and hand signals you can then be certain that Harrisburg's connection to the destruction of you and others like you is imminent.

"" <Ding Dong> "" Who's is it? Hey Rsalazar it's DC at the door, they want to know if you want to move back? My opinion? Good idea!!!

Damn..........I have seen that.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2013, 09:28 AM
 
Location: Punta Gorda
318 posts, read 531,396 times
Reputation: 949
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsalazar2006 View Post
I just moved to camp hill, Pa and I am having a hard time keeping a job. The majority of people in the Harrisburg area are white, although I see a big group of people from India in the area. I think because of the demand for IT. I am of dark complexion and already have been hired and a few days later terminated. In thinking of looking for work in Lancaster , but afraid I might meet the same racist fate.

I'm originally from the DC metro area where diversity is accepted and embrace so this is shocking.
I love how it's automatically racism. Could it be.....wait for it.....you suck at your job? And it only took your new employer a very short time to notice?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top