Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where Should The Nerdy Guy Snap Some Photos Next?
Wilkes-Barre 4 11.43%
Back Mountain (NW Suburban Area of Wilkes-Barre) 3 8.57%
Kingston/Forty Fort (Inner Suburbs of Wilkes-Barre) 4 11.43%
West Pittston (Victorian Town Midway Between Scranton and Wilkes-Barre) 5 14.29%
Old Forge (Pizza Capital of the World!) 7 20.00%
Mountain Top (Desperate Housewives at its Finest!) 4 11.43%
Moscow/North Pocono (Growing Area Between Mount Pocono and Scranton) 3 8.57%
Abingtons (Wealthy Suburban Enclave About 15 Minutes NW of Scranton) 2 5.71%
Bear Creek (Upcoming Bedroom Community to Wilkes-Barre) 2 5.71%
Other (Please Specify Below in a Reply!) 6 17.14%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2006, 10:20 PM

2,209 posts, read 7,655,019 times

Advertisements

Oh my I types in Old Forge Pizza in the search engine and found a forum talking only about pizza!

I'm originally from NJ, live in Fla and let me tell ya, for years and years, it was not possible to get anything remotely similar to NJ stype ( thin crust ) pizza here. There's a few places that have developed over the years finally, but it ain't no hotbed of pizza. One of the best I've ever had was a little hand made one on the island of Koh Samui in SE Thailand. The owner is from Italy and the food is treemendous! Tied second is Mama's Pizza at the Superbowl in Tan Binh district,. Saigon Vietnam which is owned by a fellow named Nunzio from Sicily. Third place is NJ. 4th NYC.

I NEVER expected pizza to be such a big deal in Pa! Now you have me definitely needing to take a week off and shoot up there to check this out.

Trouble maker
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2006, 07:47 AM

28 posts, read 103,988 times
Default Old Forge Pizza? Not really.

I'm surprised that Scranton/W-B has a similar, dubious food-history claim akin to Binghamton, NY claiming it invented amrinated cubes of meat (called, "speedies," despite such a thing existing for centuries in the Mediterranean and middle-east). "Old Forge Pizza" is actually old-school Southern-Italian pizza.

While Scanton/W-B have many cool things it can-should-and does brag about, the "old Forge Pizza," claim is kind of sad, in my opinion.

Old 10-18-2006, 09:20 AM

4 posts, read 6,520 times
Default Photo request...

Hola ScrantonWilkesBarre. If you're bored, I would love to see a few photos from the North Pocono School District ;-)

No pressure though, you have been a great help already!

Old 10-18-2006, 10:04 AM

10 posts, read 33,160 times
You may want to consider changing your phrase of "what should I shoot next" scared me until I opened up your page.

Old 10-18-2006, 06:40 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,600,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mswood View Post
You may want to consider changing your phrase of "what should I shoot next" scared me until I opened up your page.

Ha! Sorry about that! I guess in light of the recent terrorism fears facing our nation, I could have used a better choice of words. Sorry!

Old 10-18-2006, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weave29 View Post
Hola ScrantonWilkesBarre. If you're bored, I would love to see a few photos from the North Pocono School District ;-)

No pressure though, you have been a great help already!

Right now I'm split between people wanting to see Old Forge/Taylor and people wanting to see the North Pocono/Moscow area. Personally, my sister's wedding is this Saturday, so I won't have quite as much time to snap a few pictures as I would like, but next Tuesday looks promising (Assuming the predicted snow showers don't put a skid into my plans, literally! LOL!) What I can tell you though is that if I'm running short on time, I'll snap the photos of Old Forge/Taylor first, as it's only ten minutes or so from my home. North Pocono is about 25 minutes away, so that will have to wait for when I have more disposable free time! (The Moscow/Elmhurst/Mt. Cobb area is very beautiful though!)

Old 10-18-2006, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deedee ramone View Post
I'm surprised that Scranton/W-B has a similar, dubious food-history claim akin to Binghamton, NY claiming it invented amrinated cubes of meat (called, "speedies," despite such a thing existing for centuries in the Mediterranean and middle-east). "Old Forge Pizza" is actually old-school Southern-Italian pizza.

While Scanton/W-B have many cool things it can-should-and does brag about, the "old Forge Pizza," claim is kind of sad, in my opinion.
I actually prefer Chicago-style deep dish pizza to Old Forge-style pizza, but to each his own I guess. I know many local residents who couldn't survive without a slice of Riviello's, Arcaro & Genell's, Brutico's, Amadeo's, etc., but just give me that deep dish and I'm a happy camper! I just think it's nice for a small town like Old Forge to have some sort of "claim to fame"; this is similar to my hometown of Pittston calling itself the "World's Quality Tomato Capital", even having a weeklong annual festival, parade, tomato fights, 5K run, pageants, bands, etc. It's little nuances like these that help our small towns to form their own "uniqueness" and "identities", which are becoming more and more uncommon in our newer suburban areas that seem to lack the same "charm." Whether you like Old Forge pizza or not, you still have to admit that for a town of just 8,000 residents, Old Forge probably has the highest amount of Italian restaurants per capita in all of NEPA!

Old 10-19-2006, 04:50 AM

28 posts, read 103,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrantonWilkesBarre View Post
I actually prefer Chicago-style deep dish pizza to Old Forge-style pizza, but to each his own I guess. I know many local residents who couldn't survive without a slice of Riviello's, Arcaro & Genell's, Brutico's, Amadeo's, etc., but just give me that deep dish and I'm a happy camper! I just think it's nice for a small town like Old Forge to have some sort of "claim to fame"; this is similar to my hometown of Pittston calling itself the "World's Quality Tomato Capital", even having a weeklong annual festival, parade, tomato fights, 5K run, pageants, bands, etc. It's little nuances like these that help our small towns to form their own "uniqueness" and "identities", which are becoming more and more uncommon in our newer suburban areas that seem to lack the same "charm." Whether you like Old Forge pizza or not, you still have to admit that for a town of just 8,000 residents, Old Forge probably has the highest amount of Italian restaurants per capita in all of NEPA!

I think you missed my point. I have nothing against OF Pizza (in fact, there's no such thing as "bad pizza" in my opinion). It's the claims that it's an "original," and "special" thing from the area (it wasn't - again: southern Italy has had the same exact thing for centuries) as if it was the cradle of that minutea of civilization.

Nothing says "small town" like claiming you invented something that you didn't really invent - imo.

Anyway, that's my point. Totally off topic, I know. I just wanted to clarify. In the scheme of things it's totally insignificant and trivial.

Old 10-19-2006, 02:17 PM

1,130 posts, read 1,572,182 times
OLD FORGE!!!! yummy, can't wait for the white pizza

Old 10-19-2006, 03:05 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,089,952 times
Why not shoot some pictures of Milford? Seems like questions pop up about Pike County/Milford periodically and it is a pretty town. Actually I am asking out of selfish reasons, I am a little bit homesick. You'd be hardpressed to take a variety of pictures in Dingmans Ferry, it's all trees and waterfalls. I liked your Honesdale pictures, it is such a cute little town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania