U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2007, 12:39 PM

1 posts, read 4,348 times

Advertisements

[SIZE=3]My husband and I are interested in moving to PA.
We have a 2 year old and hope to have another child later on. We are looking for a nice SAFE place for a young professional couple with a family. Good schools are a top priority for the kids and employment as my husband is a junior high school teacher.
We live in Queens NYC now and pay way too much for rent. No way to afford a home in NY so we are looking to settle down in PA.
My company has an office in Plymouth Meeting, so I would like to transfer to the office there so I’m looking for a place somewhat close to that town.
Diversity is also important and from what I read about Plymouth Meeting, it does not seem to be the town for us. We are of Hispanic heritage and would like a more diverse population for place where we plan to stay for a while.
Thank you for your recommendations!
[/SIZE]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2007, 12:59 PM

2,306 posts, read 1,469,584 times
Owen J ROberts has good schools and I think you would like the area. We lived in East COventry (we are selling our townhome right now) and part of the reason we bought there was for this fact. And, our development was pretty diverse...all races and such. The commute wouldn't be too bad either.
You can also check out King of Prussia...lots of diversity there, although I don't know about the schools there.
Good luck!

Old 11-06-2007, 01:09 PM

271 posts, read 1,302,622 times
King of Prussia area would be Upper Merion HS & school district. It is a fine school system. Would also be closer to Plymouth Meeting.

Old 11-06-2007, 02:02 PM

37 posts, read 163,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moving2PA View Post
[SIZE=3]My husband and I are interested in moving to PA.
We have a 2 year old and hope to have another child later on. We are looking for a nice SAFE place for a young professional couple with a family. Good schools are a top priority for the kids and employment as my husband is a junior high school teacher.
We live in Queens NYC now and pay way too much for rent. No way to afford a home in NY so we are looking to settle down in PA.
My company has an office in Plymouth Meeting, so I would like to transfer to the office there so I’m looking for a place somewhat close to that town.
Diversity is also important and from what I read about Plymouth Meeting, it does not seem to be the town for us. We are of Hispanic heritage and would like a more diverse population for place where we plan to stay for a while.
Thank you for your recommendations!
[/SIZE]
Abington School District has an excellent reputation for both excellence and diversity. The following towns are partially or completely within the borders of Abington Township:

Abington, Ardsley, Elkins Park, Glenside, Huntingdon Valley, North Hills, Rockledge, Roslyn, Rydal, & Willow Grove.

Abington's housing prices run the gamut - starter homes run at or around $200,000, while other homes run well over $1,000,000 or even $5,000,000. It all depends on which town you choose. The bolded towns contain the more diverse populations, but you really can't go wrong regardless of where you choose.

With your office being in Plymouth Meeting, you'll probably want to consider towns that are adjacent the the PA Turnpike or I-476. There is a turnpike interchange in Willow Grove, about 2 miles north of the Abington Township border.

Old 11-07-2007, 08:23 AM

2,057 posts, read 4,257,422 times
East Coventry is surely "whiter" than Plymouth Meeting, and it's not close. I'm not sure why anyone recommended that.

I grew up in Plymouth Meeting. It is largely white and Catholic, although there are some Asians (Indian, Korean), and also a Jewish presence. Not too much in the way of a Hispanic population. Be aware, though, that just because there aren't that many Hispanics does not mean that you will have problems.

I would second Abington, which is much more diverse of a school district than Colonial (in Plymouth Meeting). Also, the Wissahickon School District (try looking up Ambler) might be a little bit more diverse, and is close to PM.

Old 11-07-2007, 08:51 AM

2,306 posts, read 1,469,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPP1999 View Post
East Coventry is surely "whiter" than Plymouth Meeting, and it's not close. I'm not sure why anyone recommended that.

I grew up in Plymouth Meeting. It is largely white and Catholic, although there are some Asians (Indian, Korean), and also a Jewish presence. Not too much in the way of a Hispanic population. Be aware, though, that just because there aren't that many Hispanics does not mean that you will have problems.

I would second Abington, which is much more diverse of a school district than Colonial (in Plymouth Meeting). Also, the Wissahickon School District (try looking up Ambler) might be a little bit more diverse, and is close to PM.
I recommended it b/c I lived there, think it was nice with good schools, and I don't think the drive was bad at all. (I shopped in PM a lot) I too think Abington is nice. Went to school there
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania