Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2013, 01:30 PM

Location: The Flagship City and Vacation in the Paris of Appalachia
2,773 posts, read 3,844,810 times

Advertisements

So here is my story:

This year I owe a small balance to PA for my income taxes. I sent the payment in via check prior to the tax deadline and I keep checking my bank account for a few months to see if they cashed the check. Well they never cashed the check so I called and used the online system to see what was happening. They tell me that there is no record of my check and that I am now assessed penalties and interest. Since it is such a small balance I am ticked off, but I say okay I guess I will just pay it and move on. So I ask the revenue department how should I pay? They tell me to send a check and I refuse because they have already lost one of my checks. I ask them if I should send my check certified mail and they say yes. So I send the new check with penalties and interest certified mail and after over a month they refused to sign for it and have assessed more penalties and interest. So I call back and ask how should I pay? They tell me to pay via credit card over the phone, which I do, but they also charge me a convenience fee. Now the total of my fees, penalties, and interest is only about $60, but I am pretty frustrated. What is the deal with the PA revenue department and how can I pay my taxes without being assessed some sort of fee? I am from PA, but this is the first year I have owed in a while and I never remember having so much trouble simply paying my taxes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2013, 05:06 PM

41,885 posts, read 74,952,198 times
Well, that sucks.

I always pay by check (and I always have to pay ... ) and have had no problems.

You should not have had to pay the additional penalties and interest. Do you have any documentation from the post office that the mail carrier attempted delivery? At least you could prove that the check arrived on a specific date. Whether or not the tax office signed for it should not be your problem.

I smell a dead fish ...

Old 07-07-2013, 05:15 PM

Location: The Flagship City and Vacation in the Paris of Appalachia
2,773 posts, read 3,844,810 times
Well for the first check I have no "proof" other than the missing check, which they may still cash and apply to next year if they ever find it. I filled out the form disputing the fees and interest and mailed that in also, but this time I sent it certified mail, no return receipt so I can track it but they don't have to sign for it. I included a copy of the documentation showing that the second check, which was sent certified mail return receipt, was refused and not signed for. Next year I guess I could pay by credit card again, but there is a convenience fee. Why won't PA take my money?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania