Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2013, 12:13 PM

2 posts, read 4,271 times

Advertisements

I wanted to share my experience in Quakertown, PA so no one else gets suckered.

A woman in her mid 30s early 40s, her six year old daughter, and another woman are scamming people at gas stations in the area. I know for sure the Wawa by the turnpike on 663 and the station down the street from there (I think it's an a-plus) How do I know she's scamming? Let me share what happened to me.

My daughter and I were getting gas a week ago when she came up to me at the station. She was driving a jeep with Illinois plates. She told me a sob story about losing her debit card and trying to get home. I knew she could be scamming me but I gave her the benefit of the doubt and gave her money for gas.

Yesterday I went to the same Wawa to get gas and I see the same woman walking around asking for gas money. This time she was driving a tan Buick with West Virginia plates. Furious, I went inside and told the manager and she got shooed away. As I went to leave I see her down the street at the A-Plus. I park my car and wait, she approaches the man parked next to me and I get out of my car and confront her and warn the man. She denies it (of course) and leaves and the man thanks me for the warning.

I know she has these 2 cars (Jeep with Illinois plates, tan Buick with West Virginia plates) but I don't know if there's more but be weary of anyone asking for money at the local stations.

I also noted a number of people (one man with a dog, a family with a small child - different people with different sob stories) holding up signs in local parking lots begging for money. This all came about the same time this woman entered our area and I have a feeling they could be part of the same group.

I hope this can stop someone else from getting suckered by these jerks.

Last edited by daniellefinley; 07-16-2013 at 12:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2013, 01:09 PM

421 posts, read 834,759 times
Thanks for the warning but actually the second gas station (other than Wawa) you mentioned would actually be a Sunoco. Only the Sunoco convenience stores use the A Plus name. I bring this up because the company that would have to file a police report, perhaps hire new security because of these incidents, etc would be Sunoco.

Old 07-16-2013, 01:27 PM

3,307 posts, read 9,382,105 times
This is a really common panhandling tactic. I've seen a number of people do this at gas stations.

Old 07-16-2013, 02:22 PM

2 posts, read 4,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcity View Post
This is a really common panhandling tactic. I've seen a number of people do this at gas stations.

Yes unfortunately very common but I figured since she's been to the same station at least 2 times I'd give local people a heads up.

Old 07-16-2013, 02:24 PM

26,214 posts, read 49,044,521 times
An old scam, can happen anywhere, I've seen it here in COLO SPGS about 5 years ago.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 06-21-2014, 11:43 AM

1 posts, read 1,705 times
This just happened to me and my daughter at the Wal-Mart in Lebanon, Pa. This lady with long blond hair, mid 20's, was holding a sign that read, ' ran out of gas'. I asked her if she needed a ride, thinking it would be local. NO, not at all, she needed to get back to Arizona. My daughter and I circled around the parking lot, gathered some change and loose money and gave it to her. Something did not feel right after I gave it. I did not want to judge and prayed that she is not doing wrong and in the end I know my daughter and I did the right thing. After I told some family about the poor young lady that we had helped, we were warned that there are scammers in the area with that same story. So I will pass my experience along to others and you do what you feel is right. Not everyone is scamming and some people really do need the help. It's so sad we have people out there that are doing this but it's also sad to see the poor in need of food and shelter too. God bless.

Old 06-21-2014, 02:55 PM

45,386 posts, read 60,575,206 times
I think this type of thing is universal. We have it here in Southern Maryland, too.

Old 07-01-2014, 06:20 AM

1,213 posts, read 3,112,364 times
This has happened to me in other states. Usually a younger overweight woman with out of state plates on an older car begging for gas money with some sob story.

Old 07-01-2014, 01:41 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,216,234 times
During the holiday season there is a guy with a Please Help Sign who stands at the parking lot exit at Total Wine in Claymont De. During the Holidays, Total Wines does about $1 M a day in business.

One day while leaving That guy with the sign pulled out a wad of bills that was 6 inches thick. People kept giving their money away to him.

Old 07-06-2014, 01:21 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,241,172 times
I need a part time job....looks like I found one....lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania