Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2007, 07:00 AM

3 posts, read 12,992 times

Advertisements

Quick question:
I was planning to move to North York in the 'Brittany' community, but my work would be in downtown Lancaster. The only road there is Route 20 with about a 25 mile drive. I am used to long commute when living in Northern Va, but is this route 30 fast moving or stop and go.
I also looked at housing in Lancaster, but it seems way overpriced compared to York. My family and I were looking for at least a 4000 sq. foot home.
Thanks for everyone's answers to my questions. Good day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2007, 07:44 AM

1,649 posts, read 5,002,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mihink View Post
Quick question:
I was planning to move to North York in the 'Brittany' community, but my work would be in downtown Lancaster. The only road there is Route 20 with about a 25 mile drive. I am used to long commute when living in Northern Va, but is this route 30 fast moving or stop and go.
I also looked at housing in Lancaster, but it seems way overpriced compared to York. My family and I were looking for at least a 4000 sq. foot home.
Thanks for everyone's answers to my questions. Good day.
It depends on where you plan to settle in York. Rt. 30 west of Mt. Zion Road is stop and go and does crawl at spots. If you would be connecting to Rt. 30 via Rt. 83 or North George Street you can expect congestion.

The most eastern sections of York (not the city, but the burbs), Hellam, and Wrightsville would put you beyond most of the traffic. Also, the western part of Lancaster County may have better home prices around Columbia. I hope someone else will chime in with info for you about that area.

I'm not going to be any help with the traffic situation around Lancaster city. Don't know much about that during work hours.

Old 11-12-2007, 07:51 AM

3 posts, read 12,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockky View Post
It depends on where you plan to settle in York. Rt. 30 west of Mt. Zion Road is stop and go and does crawl at spots. If you would be connecting to Rt. 30 via Rt. 83 or North George Street you can expect congestion.

The most eastern sections of York (not the city, but the burbs), Hellam, and Wrightsville would put you beyond most of the traffic. Also, the western part of Lancaster County may have better home prices around Columbia. I hope someone else will chime in with info for you about that area.

I'm not going to be any help with the traffic situation around Lancaster city. Don't know much about that during work hours.
Thanks for the quick reply. I will working at the Lancaster regional medical center in Lancaster itself. Though internet searching, there doesn't seem to be too many 'upscale' communities in Lancaster county that aren't way overpriced. I would like to build my new home, so anyone with info on a good builder/realtor/developer in this area would be of great help. Thanks.

Old 11-12-2007, 12:00 PM

2,050 posts, read 5,944,661 times
If you want to live in York and keep your commute to Lancaster under an hour (35 miles) I would suggest East York area, concentrating on anything/areas off of or east of Mt. Zion Road (look at a map for Route 24). From there to Lancaster would be an easy commute on Route 30. My husband does it every day, and unless weather is unusually bad, or there is an accident or construction, you can drive 65-70 m.p.h. The East York area will put you in either Central or Suburban School districts as well. Check out the real estate associated with 17402 zip. Brittany is exclusive, but you will fight congestion getting out of there, down to Route 30 and it would probably double the time on your commute. Between Mt. Zion Road and Roosevelt or 83 intersections (which lead you back up into Brittany development) Route 30 is VERY congested, stop and go, tons of lights and center left turn lanes. If you need more information, PM me and I'll try to help.

Old 11-16-2007, 07:28 AM

60 posts, read 375,609 times
There are a couple new developments in Mountville Lancaster County. A 5 min drive from the Columbia area mentioned by a poster earlier, closer to Lancaster City. Would be a 15 minute drive from either of those areas. One of the developments is Called Winchelsea, by Keystone Custom homes. I live in a Keystone community in York, and they are very competitively priced. And they have a promotion where you live free for your first year.

Keystone Custom Homes: PA New Home Builder: Lancaster Lebanon Chester York and Dauphin Counties

There is another that my in-laws live in, which may give you the 4000 sq feet. Also pretty cheap comparatively. But that of course depends on what your current frame of reference is. It is called Parkfield

Please remember in York county that the school taxes are high, we pay and extra 300 a month on our mortgage for school tax. I am not sure how Lancaster County is in terms of school tax, but I think it may be the same way.

Old 11-29-2007, 05:25 AM

18 posts, read 74,404 times
There area number of areas in Eastern York or Western Lancaster County that would put you onto Rt 30 easily (way past the congestion) and can easily get you to downtown Lancaster for work. The further away you get from central Lancaster County, the better the prices. West Hempfield Township, even Penn Manor areas, can put you into a great school district and into a well-priced home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania