Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2013, 02:17 PM

Location: The Flagship City and Vacation in the Paris of Appalachia
2,773 posts, read 3,855,823 times

Advertisements

PSUrangers11

I feel your pain and it is truly sad you had to pay for an inspection and they didn't even really inspect your car. They just found one thing wrong and took it off the lift and kept the cash coming in with the next inspection. The inspection system sounds great in theory, but corruption is a problem and at best the jury is out on how effective the process is in preventing accidents. If they keep inspections at the very least they should require a full report to be issued to the vehicle owner pass/fail or no payment is due.

Old 08-20-2013, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Inspections are a racket.

That's a racket, too.
Yes these are big issues for those moving to PA and they at least need to consider them. One of my colleagues paid their taxes on time every year, but refused to complete the Berkheimer forms for several years and a lien was placed against their house. They had to fill out several years of forms and pay late fees even though they did not owe anything in taxes. I skipped my first year of Berkheimer forms, but I am sending them in now and I will always do it I guess.

Old 08-20-2013, 07:56 PM

4,449 posts, read 4,614,742 times
You know this is news to me. I'm in NY and I think others would agree we don't go thorough this 'shakedown'. There must be a clause in the Pa. charter or something maybe carried down from colonial days that says the 'personal transportation repair' industry must be fed by the Pa. populace. You should tell them the English are gone.....;-)......

Old 08-21-2013, 06:23 AM

2,794 posts, read 2,931,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trackstar13 View Post
PSUrangers11

I feel your pain and it is truly sad you had to pay for an inspection and they didn't even really inspect your car. They just found one thing wrong and took it off the lift and kept the cash coming in with the next inspection. The inspection system sounds great in theory, but corruption is a problem and at best the jury is out on how effective the process is in preventing accidents. If they keep inspections at the very least they should require a full report to be issued to the vehicle owner pass/fail or no payment is due.

Trackstar...

What really stunk here too is that in the beginning of July my wife and I traded my 2005 Jeep in for a brand new 2013 Buick Encore. Mainly because my car had a better trade in value and hers even though older has been very reliable through the years. We've been together for over 5 years and and in those 5 years she NEVER once failed inspection. Meanwhile my Jeep seemed to ALWAYS fail.

I had NO problem hearing the first time that something needed to be repaired... I get it... cars need repairs at certain points and hers needed it. I am just getting sick of getting played by these mechanics who don't properly do their jobs. It's not right...

Old 08-21-2013, 08:43 AM

Psurangers11

That sucks and I always have a chuckle for a few seconds when someone who is new to the area asks me where the PennDOT inspection centers are located. I work with many transplants to PA and the inspection system is usually foreign to them.

Old 08-21-2013, 09:41 AM

That sucks and I always have a chuckle for a few seconds when someone who is new to the area asks me where the PennDOT inspection centers are located. I work with many transplants to PA and the inspection system is usually foreign to them.Me: Trackstar, where is the PennDOT inspection center?
Trackstar: Here let me show you.
Me: Thanks.
Trackstar: Chuckles as I trod away.

So trackstar can u give me some odds that I'd flip out' after visiting the PennDot?????......I like to know my chances in case...;-)...

Old 08-21-2013, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by travric View Post
That sucks and I always have a chuckle for a few seconds when someone who is new to the area asks me where the PennDOT inspection centers are located. I work with many transplants to PA and the inspection system is usually foreign to them.

Me: Trackstar, where is the PennDOT inspection center?
Trackstar: Here let me show you.
Me: Thanks.
Trackstar: Chuckles as I trod away.

So trackstar can u give me some odds that I'd flip out' after visiting the PennDot?????......I like to know my chances in case...;-)...
LOL I chuckle because there are no PennDOT inspection centers, private garages are where you get your car inspected. I have actually been pretty happy with the PennDOT centers recently because the service has been good and I have been out of there quickly. You get your driver's license, registration and plate from PennDOT, but you get your inspection stickers from the private shop. I have talked to quite a few new employees at my university who are confused by the process. At the rate we are going PA may be one of the last or the last states with inspection since I believe there are only 15 states left with inspection and most of them have scaled the programs back.

Old 08-22-2013, 12:51 AM

334 posts, read 420,925 times
Pros:
Cost of living is lower than many places
Snow, if you like that sort of thing.
Occasional 70 degree days in Feb.
Great access to gamelands for hunting (even if you're hunting those tiny Whitetail deer)
Good variety of terrain/scenery
Specific to York: near a bunch of cool places, like Baltimore, Gettysburg, Harrisburg, and has some interesting history of its own.
Also specific to York area: great for federal employees, as it's considered part of the D.C. commuting area, and so employees get paid the D.C. area premium. Couple that with modest cost of living, and you can do quite well.

Cons:
Some cities are incredibly poor and crime-ridden (e.g. York)
Weather can be harsh, especially summers. High heat/humidity is no fun.
Income is low outside the big cities.

I grew up in Western PA, and I think of it as a good place to retire on a fixed income. Housing can be had dirt cheap ($30k to 40k or even substantially less) and other costs are generally low. While it snows a fair bit in the winter, they actually know how to plow the roads, unlike where I'm at now, where snow doesn't frequently stick around more than a few hours.

Old 08-22-2013, 06:39 AM

thanks for the lowdown trackstar..

And Pahn...
Quote:
Cons:
Some cities are incredibly poor and crime-ridden (e.g. York)
Weather can be harsh, especially summers. High heat/humidity is no fun.
Income is low outside the big cities.
With the last one about income,do you think that impacts quality of life for retirees generally in Pa?

Old 08-22-2013, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by travric View Post
thanks for the lowdown trackstar..

And Pahn...

With the last one about income,do you think that impacts quality of life for retirees generally in Pa?
In terms of income, at least in regards to western PA, it used to be better so many retirees are doing pretty well. I am not saying people used to make more money, but the salaries used to be better when compared with the cost of living so the older generation did pretty well with their pensions and retirement plans. Some people on my street are retired from Erie Insurance and GE Transportation and they are doing very well. In fact the one couple who live towards the end of our street live in Erie in the summer, Florida in the winter, and North Carolina in the fall. Yeah it is crazy they have 3 places, but their place in Erie is their only house, I believe the other 2 are condos. Also, surprisingly enough I have met some retirees who have moved to Erie from other areas of the country to enjoy the tax benefits and nice weather in the summer. I am sure the same thing is happening in Pittsburgh and the surrounding areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania