Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2013, 09:12 PM

124 posts, read 153,636 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackstar13 View Post
The city has a good amount of vacant property and could accommodate at least 50,000-75,000 more people within the city boundaries and not have to change much infrastructure.
No kidding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2013, 07:11 AM

41,940 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Quote:
Why are the local TV channels in Erie so cheap quality?
Cheap out-of-town corporate ownership.

Old 08-15-2013, 07:51 AM

It's not like 95% of other local broadcasters have local-based owners.

Old 08-16-2013, 09:11 AM

Location: The Flagship City and Vacation in the Paris of Appalachia
2,773 posts, read 3,855,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gousa14 View Post
It's not like 95% of other local broadcasters have local-based owners.
I think it is a combination of the out of town ownership and the designated market boundaries/population growth within those boundaries. If Erie were a bigger media market they would pay better and probably get better quality anchors, but I have lived in pretty big cities with mediocre to terrible news broadcasts so I am not sure it would be much better. Overall, I think the quality of the news is down nationwide and whenever I travel to Canada I am always impressed with the quality of the stories and the presentation on the news broadcasts. The main issue I have with the US news is they sensationalize too much and try to make almost every story negative. However, this is more evident in bigger cities and I love how in Erie we have more positive stories from time to time and the local high school, college, and minor league sports coverage is some of the best I have ever seen anywhere. I guess that is the flexibility you get with a smaller media market and the Friday sports coverage is almost half of the entire news broadcast. As I mentioned earlier in the thread, I think you would be better off if you watch the best of each of the broadcasts in Erie, here are my picks:

Weather
Rob Wilson WICU

Sports
Craig Smylie WJET

General News Anchors
Sean Lafferty WJET
David Belmondo WJET

Reporters
Kara Coleman WICU
Brian Sheridan Fox 66
Emily Matson WICU

Old 08-16-2013, 12:31 PM

Don't get me wrong. I like the Erie broadcasts actually. But I'm just comparing it to 20 years ago. Maybe I also think that Canada was ahead of the USA in terms of news quality and content, both national and local. Either Erie must have slipped market-ratings wise, or the small markets were abandoned when it comes to access to resources.

Old 08-16-2013, 12:53 PM

41,940 posts, read 75,144,160 times
You know what? I live in the #4 TV market (Philadelphia), and the quality of the local news isn't really that much better. The TV stations around here spend so much of their time with self-promotion and cheesy antics that they forget to deliver the news.

I miss no-nonsense newsmen like Bob Sutherland -- with or without his toupee.

Here's a website you might be interested in, if you don't know about it already -- Press and Tower:

Press and Tower :: News and commentary on Erie PA newspaper, TV, radio, and new media | Erie media blog – Connecting creators and consumers

Old 08-16-2013, 05:55 PM

I'm not a member of the 'Bob Sutherland' news generation, sorry. I heard a lot of good things about the news of yesteryear though. I must be a lot younger than you.

Old 08-17-2013, 06:09 AM

458 posts, read 656,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gousa14 View Post
Speaking of content here.
I'm originally from Erie and a news junkie. My opinion is the quality of reporters. The new younger reporters and anchors just aren't what we experienced 30-40 years ago. And that goes for any market

Last edited by WPANative; 08-17-2013 at 06:19 AM..

Old 08-17-2013, 01:34 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,532,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WPANative View Post
I'm originally from Erie and a news junkie. My opinion is the quality of reporters. The new younger reporters and anchors just aren't what we experienced 30-40 years ago. And that goes for any market
I mean what do you expect? You can get news from so many different outlets that viewership for broadcast is relatively insignificant. The only advantage they have going for them is personality. So that is what they have to sell.

Old 08-17-2013, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
You know what? I live in the #4 TV market (Philadelphia), and the quality of the local news isn't really that much better. The TV stations around here spend so much of their time with self-promotion and cheesy antics that they forget to deliver the news.

I miss no-nonsense newsmen like Bob Sutherland -- with or without his toupee.

Here's a website you might be interested in, if you don't know about it already -- Press and Tower:

Press and Tower :: News and commentary on Erie PA newspaper, TV, radio, and new media | Erie media blog – Connecting creators and consumers
Ah. What's going on with the reporting on channel 6 lately? I go to visit my relatives each year, and they are Philadelphia market viewers. I see that presentation wise, channel 6 became more conformist than they once were even 5 years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania