Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2006, 05:41 PM

2 posts, read 6,976 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone. I'm a newcomer to this forum. I'm a New York City resident who is retiring from a city job in roughly two and a half years. I'm married with three children. Their ages are 8, 7, and 5. I want to move to the Northeastern part of Pennsylvania as I am approaching retirement. I am considering Pike County and Lehman Township to be specific. As a Hispanic person, I am looking for a place with some diversity. I've done a little research and have chosen Pike county as a possible place to relocate to. My wife and I want to get our children out of the big city! Cost of living is too high! We are both tired of this city life and would like to relocate to a quiet town if possible. We currently own a home and would like to sell it as soon as I retire. Is Pike County a good choice? Is Lehman Township a good choice? Can anyone help with any information? How are the schools? Crime? Is it kid friendly? Our children are our life and we want the best for them. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2006, 08:21 AM

203 posts, read 1,256,247 times
the harrisburg region might suit. it has something for everyone. hb metro has 1 million people museums, and always stuff to do.

my guess is a hispanic family wont have problems. a family of any origin that has loud parties all the time will. at least in my block.

Old 10-15-2006, 08:26 AM

Sunbury in Northumberland county is affordable and becoming diverse. it is not drug ridddled like williamsport

Old 10-15-2006, 08:27 AM

I moved here from Chicago in 1988. I never looked back. I should have done it sooner!!!!

People matter here..not what you own, or how someone can use you.

Small towns ROCK! Go for it!

Old 10-15-2006, 10:36 AM

2 posts, read 6,976 times
I'm specifically looking to stay closer to the New YorK metropolitan area. That's why I chose Pike County. Can anyone tell about the best places to live in Pike County. I was looking at Lehman Township. And please consider what I stated in the earlier thread. Cultural diversity. Best schools. Kid friendly. Crime. Etc...

Old 10-30-2006, 07:08 PM

13 posts, read 69,472 times
How about Newark Delaware. A Home about 300K has taxes of about $1800 per year -- The University of Delaware is Sprouling and as a college town you have non-stop activity -- from Music to Cultural events. You are 42 minutes from Philly just a little more from BWI Airport outside Washington DC. A wide variety of nice homes and golf courses galore. I say this at the risk of having no business affiliation in the State -- I live, love it here. Want more information contact me. The First State and one of the best states -- I love PA but Delaware more. In PA try Broomall PA - low taxes - what I refer to as "Land Rent".

Norm

Old 10-31-2006, 08:42 AM

41 posts, read 245,122 times
There is quite a bit on NE PA on this forum. Lots of the same issues in this area.

Old 11-01-2006, 05:51 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,586,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunseeker View Post
There is quite a bit on NE PA on this forum. Lots of the same issues in this area.
This is because Northeastern PA is the fastest-growing part of the state right now due to the continual influx of newcomers from NY/NJ. I must say that I can't wait to see some of this positive growth spread just a half-hour further NW into Scranton/Wilkes-Barre so some of our tidy yet neglected urban neighborhoods can be rehabilitated once again to house newer, younger families!

Old 11-01-2006, 06:03 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,586,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spankee View Post
Hello everyone. I'm a newcomer to this forum. I'm a New York City resident who is retiring from a city job in roughly two and a half years. I'm married with three children. Their ages are 8, 7, and 5. I want to move to the Northeastern part of Pennsylvania as I am approaching retirement. I am considering Pike County and Lehman Township to be specific. As a Hispanic person, I am looking for a place with some diversity. I've done a little research and have chosen Pike county as a possible place to relocate to. My wife and I want to get our children out of the big city! Cost of living is too high! We are both tired of this city life and would like to relocate to a quiet town if possible. We currently own a home and would like to sell it as soon as I retire. Is Pike County a good choice? Is Lehman Township a good choice? Can anyone help with any information? How are the schools? Crime? Is it kid friendly? Our children are our life and we want the best for them. Thanks.
You really can't go wrong in Pike County; Eastern Monroe County is generally what I tell people to avoid due to the traffic congestion, school overcrowding, and rising crime rates and housing prices. Basically, the Stroudsburg area is becoming NYC's newest bedroom community, and it's getting all of the ills that come with it as it has now been transformed from sleepy country village to booming suburbia.

I'm not quite sure where Lehman Township is specifically, but I know that much of Pike County should remain largely unspoiled, quiet, and picturesque for years to come. As far as shopping needs are concerned, there are conveniences in Matamoras and Westfall Township, just north of Milford, such as a Lowe's, Wal-Mart Supercenter, etc. Downtown Milford is a cute artists' retreat with some small galleries and gift shops along its main drag. Other than that, more "urban essentials" can be found about 45 minutes away in Scranton or a half-hour away in Middletown, NY. I don't know much about Middletown's nightlife scene, but Scranton has been reinventing itself over the past five years under the fresh leadership of a "bohemian culture class" mayor. Scranton has two shopping malls, as well as a new NYC-style outlet center on the way to completion next March. Scranton has Starbucks, Best Buy, Wegman's, and just about any other chain store you could think of, and the downtown is starting to noticeably bounce back (The most recent additions are a new soup cafe called "Soup Man" that parodies the "Soup Nazi" from Seinfeld, as well as announcements that the old rail station along West Lackawanna Avenue will soon be home to a new mixed-use project, which is yet another sign that NYC's influence is starting to spread into Scranton).

Getting back to Pike County, there aren't really any major crime issues either. You occasionally hear about the local idiot who got drunk and beat his dog, or the bored local teenagers who went on a mailbox-smashing frenzy, but the crime here is still much lower than it is in Monroe County, just to the south. As with anywhere else, Pike County has a drug abuse problem, but for the most part the druggies keep to themselves. As far as schools are concerned, Delaware Valley serves the Milford area, and from what I've heard it's an excellent school district. My only word of caution is to BEWARE THE WATER---Many folks from NY/NJ think it "looks nice" to build a new home right along a stream or the Delaware River, but as we found out this past June with a major flood, these rushing waters aren't quite as relaxing when they're pushing your prized investment off of its foundation! If you are looking to build in Lehman Township, be wary of your location in relation to streams and creeks.

As far as it being "kid-friendly", well, I suppose up until your teenaged-years, when many of the locals complain about "being bored" and turn to mischief. Then again, that's the trade-off you get from moving to a rural lifestyle; there's not a dance club or internet cafe on every corner anymore. Personally, I've lived in the inner suburbs of Scranton my entire life, and I've never found myself "bored", so I guess this area is just what you make of it!

If you want to know anything else, then feel free to ask!

Old 11-01-2006, 05:59 PM

1,130 posts, read 1,571,713 times
Pike County is wonderful! We too are originally from NY (Queens) lived in Jersey and currently Florida but will be building in the coming months in Pike County. The closer you are to Milford the more things there are to do.
Welcome!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania