Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2013, 07:35 AM

22,632 posts, read 14,934,738 times

Advertisements

What is the WORST city or town in Pennsylvania?

You can interpret "worst" any way you like: ugly, dirty, poverty stricken, run down, crime problems, bad economy, no jobs, no youth services, corrupt leadership, polluted, poor infrastructure, lack of cultural or educational emenities, lacking in shopping or dining choices, rude or trashy neighbors, etc.

My vote goes to Hazleton.

Hazleton was once a thriving industrial small city and was in the very heart of NE PA's anthracite coal mining region. You can still see reminders of it's past with elegant bank buildings and fine churches and synagogues. There are some attractive residential blocks on the edge of town. I rather liked the shady streets of Lattimer (site of an infamous massacre).

Now ... Hazleton seems like a mess. I was there twice this summer. Many if not most of the shops and stores downtown are closed and empty. They're ripping up the streets. It appeared to me there were a few bodegas open and a good number of Mexican unemployed people milling about. I understand that many people drive to Wilkes-Barre to go shopping. Home prices are dirt cheap. With the average price of an American home at $240,000 (just read this in the paper the other day) - you can purchase a small house in good move in condition for $35,000!

My impression of the place is that it is dying a slow death. It's sad.

Someone please correct me if my impressions are wrong.

Last edited by Clark Park; 08-16-2013 at 08:36 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2013, 07:50 AM

4,277 posts, read 11,780,009 times
Actually Hazleton has been unusually successful at attracting jobs. http://www.hazletoncando.com/ The key to the recovery of the City itself (as it seems like you saw in part) would be the immigrants that some of the grandchildren of previous immigrants scorn. Those newer immigrants largely came there because there ARE now jobs for at least some of them, compared to much of the USA.

Old 08-16-2013, 07:58 AM

1,434 posts, read 3,921,089 times
My vote would be for Berwick. Beautiful location, but the town elders have aggressively resisted any chance at redemption over the past few decades. The good-paying factory jobs that used to power the town thinned out long ago, to the point where now you either work at the nuclear plant, the hospital, or the state police, or you hold down a minimum-wage position at the local convenience store. It's only 40 minutes or so to Wilkes-Barre / Scranton and all the opportunities up there, but that's a long drive for someone in a depressed economic condition.

The borough keeps waiting for the next big factory to roll into town and save them, without realizing that things don't work that way any more.

Sadly, I think Bloomsburg is starting to get tugged in that direction. Nowhere near as bad, but Bloomsburg definitely seems to have lost some of the luster and pride it had ten or so years ago.

Old 08-16-2013, 07:59 AM

9,325 posts, read 12,995,234 times
My vote goes to Chester.

Old 08-16-2013, 08:07 AM

Location: The Flagship City and Vacation in the Paris of Appalachia
2,773 posts, read 3,855,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
My vote goes to Chester.
I would vote Chester, but I like the soccer stadium too much so I will have to go with New Castle.

Old 08-16-2013, 08:18 AM

4,240 posts, read 4,915,255 times
I think I'm going to go with Duquesne. Its a smaller, even worse version of Chester.

*Note the graphic is inaccurate. Look at the tables.

Last edited by Yac; 11-25-2020 at 04:32 AM..

Old 08-16-2013, 08:21 AM

4,277 posts, read 11,780,009 times
C'mon now, from Berwick you could commute to jobs in Hazleton.

Floodplain location is starting to be a big factor in depressing a local economy. Jersey Shore, Renovo, Newport are some examples of smaller communities with big floodplain relative to their size and lack of investment compared to what seem to be similarly situated communities.

Old 08-16-2013, 08:24 AM

1,434 posts, read 3,921,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ki0eh View Post
C'mon now, from Berwick you could commute to jobs in Hazleton.
When I lived in the area, most of the people who lived in Berwick (sorry, Burrk) did exactly that. It's been a while since I've been in tune with NEPA, so if Hazleton finally got its act together, more power to them. They've been languishing for a long, long, long time.

Old 08-16-2013, 08:39 AM

1,518 posts, read 6,690,845 times
Centralia

Old 08-16-2013, 08:49 AM

42,763 posts, read 52,838,486 times
Chester, Norristown, King of Prussia, Williamsburg,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania